top of page
  • Writer's picturePTA

What Tax Code Should You Be On?

Understanding Your UK Tax Code for 2024/25

In the UK, tax codes are crucial as they dictate how much income tax should be deducted from your wages, pension, or other income. The tax code issued by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) is usually communicated to your employer or pension provider. Understanding your tax code is essential to ensure you're not overpaying or underpaying your taxes.

What Tax Code Should You Be On

Why Tax Codes Matter

Each tax code has a specific meaning, reflecting elements such as your Personal Allowance, additional income, and any benefits you receive that are taxable. The basic personal allowance for the 2024/25 tax year remains at £12,570, the same as in previous years, and is represented in the tax code as ‘1257L’. If your code is different, it might include other calculations specific to your financial situation.

Finding and Understanding Your Tax Code

Your current tax code can be found on your payslip, the HMRC app, or by signing into your personal tax account online. Here, not only can you view your tax code, but you can also see your estimated income and tax details for the year. It’s crucial to ensure that your tax code is correct to avoid potential discrepancies in tax payments.

Changes to Tax Codes

Tax codes can change due to various reasons, such as changes in income, adjustments in Personal Allowance, or due to benefits like company cars. It's important to notify HMRC of any changes in your income or personal circumstances that might affect your tax code. For instance, starting a new job without a P45 or changes in benefits received will prompt HMRC to reassess your tax code.

How to Update Your Tax Code

If you believe your tax code is incorrect, or if there have been changes in your income, you can update your tax details through the HMRC online service. This platform allows you to report changes directly and can help adjust your tax code accurately. In cases where you're placed on an emergency tax code (indicated by suffixes W1/M1 or X), HMRC uses this temporarily while gathering the necessary information to issue a correct code.

Maintaining an accurate tax code is imperative to ensure that the right amount of tax is deducted from your income. Regularly checking and understanding your tax code, and updating HMRC about any significant changes in your circumstances, will help you manage your taxes effectively and avoid any unexpected tax bills or refunds at the end of the tax year. Always ensure your employment details are up to date with HMRC, and check your tax code each time you receive a new payslip to verify that it reflects your current situation accurately.

Navigating Specific Changes in Tax Codes for the 2024/25 Tax Year

Understanding Changes in Tax Codes Changes to your tax code can occur for various reasons and understanding these is crucial for ensuring you are on the correct tax code. The most common reasons for a change include adjustments to your personal or financial circumstances such as a new job, a change in benefits, or variations in other income sources.

Common Adjustments to Tax Codes

  1. Job Changes: Starting a new job without a P45, or having multiple employments, usually prompts a temporary tax code, often noted as W1/M1 or X, to be applied until HMRC updates your records with the complete information. This prevents you from underpaying or overpaying tax.

  2. Benefits in Kind: Receipt of benefits like company cars, health insurance, or accommodation from your employer can alter your tax code because these benefits are taxable and must be accounted for in your tax calculation.

  3. Pension Contributions and Charitable Donations: Changes in how much you contribute to a pension scheme or donate to charity under Gift Aid can affect your tax code. These contributions are eligible for tax relief and hence, can alter your Personal Allowance, affecting your tax code.

Dealing with Changes in Income

Any significant change in your income, whether it’s an increase or decrease, should prompt a review of your tax code. For example, if you start to receive income from renting out property or you receive a higher salary, you should inform HMRC. This ensures your tax code will reflect your new income and you'll pay the correct amount of tax.

Emergency Tax Codes

Understanding emergency tax codes is also important. If you see ‘1257L W1/M1’, it means you’re on an emergency tax code and will be taxed on all your income above the basic Personal Allowance—it does not account for any other allowances or reliefs you might be eligible for. HMRC uses this temporary code until they gather all necessary information about your income sources.

Tax Code Notices

HMRC sends a ‘Notice of Coding’ when your tax code changes. This notice details how your tax code was calculated and what information was considered. Reviewing this notice is crucial to ensure all data used is correct and current. If you find any discrepancies, contacting HMRC to rectify the error is necessary.

Understanding and staying current with changes to your tax code can significantly impact your financial health. Regularly reviewing your tax situation, especially after any changes in your income or personal life, ensures that you are always on the right tax code, thus avoiding over or underpayment of taxes. As we move to the final part of our series, we'll explore how to effectively review and correct your tax code, along with tips for managing your interactions with HMRC to keep your financial records in order.

Effective Management and Correction of Your Tax Code for 2024/25

Reviewing and Correcting Your Tax Code

The final piece in managing your tax affairs effectively revolves around understanding how to review and correct your tax code if necessary. Ensuring that your tax code accurately reflects your personal and financial situation is vital to managing your tax responsibilities efficiently.

Steps to Review Your Tax Code

  1. Regular Checks: Make it a habit to check your tax code each time you receive a payslip or a tax code notice from HMRC. This helps you catch any discrepancies early.

  2. Understanding Your Tax Code Notice: HMRC provides a breakdown of how your tax code is calculated on the tax code notice. This document is essential for verifying that all personal allowances and deductions have been correctly applied.

  3. Use Online Tools: HMRC's online services, including the personal tax account, allow you to view your tax code and the information that affects it. This service is crucial for maintaining up-to-date tax records.

Common Issues and Resolutions

  • Incorrect Personal Allowance: If your tax code does not seem to reflect the correct personal allowance, or if it incorrectly accounts for other income or benefits, you should contact HMRC to update your information.

  • Outdated Employment Details: Ensure that HMRC has the latest information regarding your employment. Mistakes often occur if HMRC’s records are not updated with your most recent employment status.

  • Adjustments After Life Changes: Significant life events like marriage or retirement can affect your tax code. Inform HMRC of such changes to ensure your tax code is adjusted accordingly.

Contacting HMRC

  • Online Communication: You can use the HMRC online portal to directly communicate changes or discrepancies in your tax code.

  • Phone and Written Queries: For complex issues, speaking directly to an HMRC representative or sending a detailed query can often be more effective.

Ensuring Accurate Payments

  • Overpayments and Underpayments: If adjustments to your tax code are made during the tax year, you may end up either owing tax or being owed a refund. HMRC will inform you of any such discrepancies through a tax calculation after the end of the tax year.

  • Final Adjustments: After submitting all necessary updates to HMRC, ensure that any corrections to your tax code are reflected in subsequent payslips. This confirmation is crucial to close out any ongoing tax issues.

Understanding, monitoring, and managing your tax code are crucial aspects of financial management. Staying proactive in checking and updating your tax code can prevent many common tax issues, saving you time and potential financial inconvenience. By taking charge of your tax affairs through regular reviews and timely communication with HMRC, you can ensure that you pay the correct amount of tax, thus maintaining your financial health.

What Should I Do If I've Started Receiving a New Type of Taxable Income for Which You Don’t Have a Tax Code?

When you start receiving a new type of taxable income in the UK for which you do not have a tax code, there are several important steps you should take to ensure compliance with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) regulations and to avoid potential issues with underpayment or overpayment of taxes. This guide will help you understand the process of reporting new income sources, updating your tax code, and managing your tax responsibilities effectively.

Understanding Taxable Income

Firstly, it’s essential to understand what counts as taxable income. In the UK, taxable income includes, but is not limited to, earnings from employment, profits from self-employment, most pensions, rental income, benefits from your job like a company car, and income from a trust. New types of taxable income could emerge from changes such as starting a new business, renting out property, or receiving dividends from investments.

Step 1: Determine the Type of Income

Identify the type of new income you are receiving. Different types of income are taxed differently, and the way you report them to HMRC can vary. For example:

  • Employment income is usually taxed through PAYE (Pay As You Earn).

  • Self-employment income and income from freelancing need to be reported through a Self Assessment tax return.

  • Rental income from property should also be reported on a Self Assessment tax return, and you might need to join the UK's Property Income Manual.

Step 2: Inform HMRC

Once you have identified the type of new income:

  • If you are employed, your employer might handle tax deductions through PAYE. However, if this new income type is not employment but affects your tax situation (like rental income or significant investment income), you need to contact HMRC directly.

  • Self-employed individuals will need to report this through their annual Self Assessment tax return. It’s important to register for Self Assessment if you haven’t already done so.

If the new income type is substantial or complicates your tax profile, it may be wise to consult with a tax advisor to ensure you handle your obligations correctly.

Step 3: Update Your Tax Records

You may need to update your tax records with HMRC:

  • Use your Personal Tax Account: You can log in to your personal tax account on HMRC’s website to update your details. This account allows you to check your tax code and report changes in your income.

  • Contact HMRC directly: For more specific situations or if you are unsure about how to proceed, you can always contact HMRC directly through their helpline or write to them. It is crucial to provide accurate and comprehensive details about your new income source so that your tax code can be adjusted if necessary.

Step 4: Monitor Your Tax Code

After you’ve informed HMRC about your new income source, monitor any updates to your tax code:

  • Check notices from HMRC: HMRC will send a Notice of Coding if there are any changes to your tax code. Review these notices carefully to ensure they reflect your current income situation correctly.

  • Regularly review your payslips: If you’re employed, keep an eye on your payslips to ensure that your tax code has been updated correctly and that the correct tax is being deducted.

Step 5: Prepare for Self Assessment

If your new income type requires you to file a Self Assessment tax return:

  • Register for Self Assessment: Do this as soon as you realize you need to file a return. HMRC needs to know about any new sources of income that aren’t taxed through another method.

  • Keep good records: Maintain thorough records of all your income and related expenses. This documentation will be crucial for filling out your tax return accurately.

Receiving a new type of taxable income requires prompt attention to ensure you meet your tax obligations. By understanding the type of income, updating HMRC promptly, monitoring changes to your tax code, and preparing for any necessary Self Assessment, you can manage your tax responsibilities efficiently and avoid potential penalties. Always consider seeking professional advice if you are unsure about the tax implications of your new income to ensure compliance and optimize your tax position.

How to Handle Multiple Tax Codes From Different Jobs?

Handling multiple tax codes from different jobs can be a complex aspect of managing your finances in the UK. If you're employed in more than one job simultaneously, understanding how each job's income affects your overall tax liability is crucial. This article guides you through the nuances of managing multiple tax codes to ensure that you are not overpaying or underpaying your taxes.

Understanding Multiple Tax Codes

Each job you have may be assigned a different tax code by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC). The tax code is used by your employer to determine how much income tax should be deducted from your salary. When you have multiple employers, ensuring that each employer uses the correct tax code becomes essential.

Primary and Secondary Employments

  • Primary Job: This is typically your main source of income and will use your Personal Allowance—the amount of income you can earn each year tax-free. The tax code for this job usually ends in 'L', indicating that it includes the standard Personal Allowance.

  • Secondary Jobs: Additional jobs are usually taxed at a basic rate, often using tax codes like BR (Basic Rate), D0 (Higher Rate), or D1 (Additional Rate), depending on your income level. These codes mean that all income from these jobs is taxed at the respective rates, without any Personal Allowance.

Steps to Manage Multiple Tax Codes

1. Verify Your Tax Codes:

  • Ensure each employer has the correct tax code. You can check your tax codes on your payslips or through your Personal Tax Account on the HMRC website.

  • If a tax code seems incorrect, contact HMRC to clarify and request an adjustment.

2. Communicate with Your Employers:

  • Inform each of your employers about your other jobs. This transparency helps ensure they use the correct tax code, especially for secondary employments.

  • Provide HMRC's decisions or instructions to your employers if there are any changes in your tax codes.

3. Regular Review and Update:

  • Regularly review your tax codes and income from each job. Changes in one job, such as a pay rise or change in hours, can affect the tax codes used by other employers.

  • Update your information with HMRC if there are significant changes in your income levels or employment status to prevent under or over-taxation.

4. Use a Personal Tax Account:

  • A Personal Tax Account allows you to manage your tax affairs online. You can check your tax codes, see how they are calculated, and report changes directly to HMRC.

  • Monitoring your tax codes via this account can help you catch and correct discrepancies swiftly.

5. Filing a Self Assessment Tax Return:

  • If you are on multiple tax codes and find it challenging to manage, or if you think you have overpaid or underpaid tax, filing a Self Assessment tax return may be necessary.

  • The Self Assessment can reconcile the total tax you owe against what has been paid through your different jobs.

Dealing with Common Issues

Overpayments and Underpayments:

  • If different employers apply different codes incorrectly, you may end up overpaying or underpaying tax. Regular checks can help you spot these issues.

  • HMRC will usually adjust your tax code automatically if they notice discrepancies in your payments throughout the year, but keeping records and initiating checks can expedite corrections.


Understanding Emergency Tax Codes:

  • If you start a new job and don't have a P45 from a previous job, you may be put on an emergency tax code (often noted as W1/M1 or X). This code should be updated once you provide the correct details to your new employer and HMRC.

  • Ensure that emergency codes are only temporary and follow up with HMRC to update these to regular codes as soon as possible.

Managing multiple tax codes requires a proactive approach to ensure that each code is applied correctly by your employers. Regular communication with HMRC and your employers, along with vigilant monitoring of your payslips and tax notices, is essential. By effectively managing your tax codes, you can avoid unexpected tax bills or refunds at the end of the tax year, ensuring your financial stability.

By understanding these guidelines and regularly updating your tax status, you can manage multiple job tax codes effectively, ensuring that you pay the correct amount of tax with minimal complications. Always consider consulting with a tax professional if you find this area particularly challenging or if your tax situation is complex.

What to Do If You Receive a Tax Code Notice But It Includes Income You No Longer Receive

Receiving a tax code notice from HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) that includes income you no longer receive can be unsettling and may lead to incorrect tax calculations. It's important to address this issue promptly to ensure that your tax obligations are accurate and reflective of your current financial situation. Here’s a comprehensive guide on how to handle such a scenario:

Understanding Tax Code Notices

A tax code notice, also known as a Notice of Coding, is sent by HMRC to inform you of the tax code that will be used by your employer or pension provider to calculate the tax deducted from your income. This notice explains the components of your tax code, including allowances, deductions, and any additional incomes considered by HMRC.

Steps to Take If Your Tax Code Notice Is Incorrect

1. Review the Notice:

  • First, thoroughly review the details in the Notice of Coding. Understand why HMRC has included the particular income, and identify any discrepancies or outdated information.

2. Gather Evidence:

  • Compile evidence that confirms you no longer receive the income included in your tax code notice. This might include termination letters, final pay slips, or communication from your previous employer or the source of the income.

3. Contact HMRC:

  • Reach out to HMRC as soon as possible. You can contact them via phone, online through your Personal Tax Account, or by writing. When contacting HMRC, be ready to provide your National Insurance number and details about the income that is incorrectly listed.

  • Explain the situation clearly and provide any evidence you have gathered. It is essential to be precise about what income needs to be removed from your tax calculations.

4. Request a New Tax Code:

  • Ask HMRC to issue a new tax code that reflects your current income situation. Ensure they acknowledge the receipt of your information and confirm that they will process the changes.

5. Monitor Changes:

  • After contacting HMRC, monitor your communications from them to see when the new tax code is issued. It’s important to check that the new tax code reflects the removal of the income you no longer receive.

6. Inform Your Employer:

  • Once you receive a new tax code from HMRC, inform your employer or pension provider immediately. This ensures that they apply the correct tax code to your future earnings.

7. Check Future Payslips:

  • Regularly check your subsequent payslips to ensure that the new tax code is being applied correctly. Look for any discrepancies in tax deductions and contact your employer’s payroll department if there are any inconsistencies.

8. File a Self Assessment Tax Return if Necessary:

  • If you believe that you have overpaid tax due to the incorrect tax code, you may need to file a Self Assessment tax return to reconcile the overpayments and claim any refund due.

9. Keep Documentation:

  • Keep all correspondence with HMRC and any documentation related to your tax code issue. This includes keeping a record of phone calls (noting dates, the name of the HMRC representative, and the advice given), emails, and letters.

What If the Issue Persists?

If after following these steps the issue persists, or if HMRC does not update your tax code as requested, consider the following additional actions:

1. Escalate the Issue:

  • Contact HMRC again, possibly requesting to speak with a manager or someone higher up in the chain of command. Explain that the issue has not been resolved and emphasize the need for urgent correction.

2. Seek Professional Advice:

  • If you feel overwhelmed by the process, or if the tax issues become too complex, it might be wise to consult with a professional tax advisor. They can provide guidance specific to your situation and help navigate the complexities of tax law.

3. Consider Formal Complaints:

  • If you are dissatisfied with how your case has been handled, you may consider making a formal complaint to HMRC. There is a specific process for this, and details can be found on the HMRC website.

Handling a tax code notice that incorrectly includes income you no longer receive requires prompt and precise action. By understanding the steps outlined above and actively engaging with HMRC, you can help ensure your tax obligations are calculated correctly, potentially avoiding overpayments and the hassle of securing a tax refund later. Always keep good records and consider professional advice if the situation becomes complicated.

How a Tax Accountant Can Help You With Your Tax Code

How a Tax Accountant Can Help You With Your Tax Code

Navigating the complexities of UK tax codes can be a daunting task for many individuals, particularly those with multiple income streams, changing personal circumstances, or unique tax situations. A tax accountant can provide invaluable assistance in these areas, ensuring that you comply with tax laws while optimizing your financial situation. Here’s how a tax accountant can help you manage your tax code in the UK:

Understanding Your Tax Code

1. Decoding and Explanation: A tax accountant can help you understand the components of your tax code and what it means for your income. Tax codes in the UK can be complex, reflecting different allowances, deductions, and adjustments specific to your financial situation. An accountant can explain why you are on a particular tax code and if it accurately reflects your current circumstances.

2. Identifying Errors: Mistakes in tax codes are not uncommon and can result in overpaying or underpaying tax. An accountant can review your tax code for errors by comparing it against your actual financial details, such as income sources and entitlements to allowances or reliefs.

Addressing Changes in Circumstances

3. Managing Life Changes: Significant life events such as marriage, buying a home, starting a new job, or retirement can affect your tax obligations. A tax accountant can advise on how these changes impact your tax code and can liaise with HMRC to update your records, ensuring your tax code reflects your new situation.

4. Adjusting for Additional Incomes or Losses: If you have multiple sources of income, such as self-employment, rental income, or dividends, managing your tax code becomes more complex. An accountant can ensure that all incomes are correctly registered with HMRC and that your tax code adjustments are accurately made to avoid unexpected tax bills.

Communicating with HMRC

5. Liaison with HMRC: Dealing with HMRC can be time-consuming and sometimes confusing. Tax accountants regularly handle communications with HMRC and can do so on your behalf. They know the correct procedures, terminology, and channels for efficient communication, which can speed up resolutions and reduce stress.

6. Resolving Disputes: If there are discrepancies or disputes regarding your tax code, a tax accountant can argue your case with HMRC, backed by detailed evidence and a clear understanding of tax legislation. They can handle appeals and provide representation in more complex disputes.

Planning and Optimization

7. Tax Planning: Tax accountants can provide strategic advice on how to legally minimize tax liabilities through effective use of allowances and tax reliefs, such as pension contributions, charitable donations, or investment in tax-efficient schemes.

8. Future Projections: They can also help project future tax liabilities based on current and expected income, allowing you to plan financially for upcoming tax bills. This foresight can be crucial for personal financial planning and business cash flow management.

Compliance and Submission

9. Ensuring Compliance: Tax laws change frequently, and staying compliant can be challenging. A tax accountant will ensure that you meet all current regulations and that your tax code and payments are in line with legal requirements.

10. Self Assessment Help: For those who need to file a Self Assessment tax return, a tax accountant can assist in preparing and submitting the return. They can ensure that the tax return reflects the correct tax code and that any adjustments are accurately reported to HMRC.

In summary, a tax accountant provides not just a reactive service, in terms of dealing with existing tax code issues, but a proactive one that helps you plan and adjust your financial affairs to optimize your tax position. Whether it’s ensuring that your tax code is correct, communicating changes to HMRC, or planning for future tax liabilities, a tax accountant can be an essential partner in managing your taxes effectively.

By leveraging the expertise of a tax accountant, you can navigate the complexities of tax codes with confidence, ensuring that you are paying the right amount of tax, staying compliant with the law, and optimizing your financial health.


Q1: How do I find my tax code if I don’t receive payslips?

A: If you don’t receive payslips because you are not employed or because your employer does not provide them, you can still find your tax code by logging into your personal tax account on the HMRC website, using the HMRC mobile app, or by looking at a Tax Code Notice letter from HMRC if you have received one.

Q2: What should I do if I've started receiving a new type of taxable income?

A: If you start receiving a new type of income that is taxable, such as rental income, dividends, or savings interest, you should inform HMRC as soon as possible. This ensures that your tax code can be adjusted to reflect this income and avoid any unexpected tax bills.

Q3: Are there any special considerations for tax codes if I am not a resident in the UK but earn income there?

A: Non-residents who earn income in the UK may have different tax code considerations. Typically, non-residents are taxed only on their UK income and not on their worldwide income, depending on their specific circumstances and tax treaties. It’s advisable to consult with a tax professional or HMRC for guidance tailored to non-resident tax issues.

Q4: How do tax codes work for people who are self-employed?

A: If you are self-employed, you typically will not have a tax code because you pay your income tax and National Insurance contributions through the Self Assessment tax system. However, if you are both employed and self-employed, you will have a tax code for your employment.

Q5: What should I do if I believe my tax code reflects the wrong marital status?

A: If your tax code is based on an incorrect marital status, you should contact HMRC to update your personal information. This adjustment can affect your entitlements, such as the Marriage Allowance, and ensure that your tax code is accurate.

Q6: Can changes in how much I donate to charity affect my tax code?

A: Yes, if you make donations under Gift Aid, HMRC can adjust your tax code to give you tax relief up front. You should report significant changes in your charitable donations to HMRC so that your tax code can reflect these changes accurately.

Q7: What happens to my tax code when I reach the State Pension age?

A: When you reach State Pension age, you may no longer need to pay National Insurance, but you may still need to pay Income Tax if your total income exceeds your Personal Allowance. HMRC should adjust your tax code accordingly.

Q8: How do I correct my tax code if I am returning to the UK after living abroad?

A: If you return to the UK after living abroad, you need to inform HMRC of your change in residency status. You might need to re-establish your tax records and ensure your tax code is correctly calculated based on your income and residency status.

Q9: Can I have different tax codes for different jobs?

A: Yes, if you have more than one job, you might have different tax codes for each employment. Typically, your main job will use your standard Personal Allowance, while any additional jobs might have a different code, such as BR or D0, which means they are taxed at a basic or higher rate from the first pound.

Q10: What does a 'K' at the beginning of a tax code mean?

A: A ‘K’ at the beginning of a tax code means you have income that is not being taxed another way and it’s worth more than your tax-free allowance. For every £1 of income that isn’t taxed, your employer or pension provider will take £1 of tax from your remaining wages or pension.

Q11: How long does it take for HMRC to update my tax code after I report a change?

A: The time it takes for HMRC to update your tax code can vary. However, they typically update tax codes promptly once they receive the necessary information. It’s advisable to monitor your payslips to ensure any changes are reflected.

Q12: What should I do if my tax code changes unexpectedly?

A: If your tax code changes unexpectedly, you should first check any communications from HMRC that explain the reason for the change. If it’s still unclear, contact HMRC directly to clarify why your tax code was altered.

Q13: What is an OT tax code, and when is it used?

A: An OT tax code is used when all your allowances have been used, or your new employer doesn’t have the details they need to give you a tax code. It results in you being taxed on all your income without any tax-free allowances.

Q14: How do I handle multiple tax codes from different jobs?

A: If you have multiple jobs, each may have a different tax code. Usually, your main job will use your personal allowance, and the others will have a basic rate (BR) or higher rate (D0) tax code. Ensure that HMRC is aware of each job to assign the correct tax codes.

Q15: What does it mean if there is an 'X' at the end of my tax code?

A: An 'X' at the end of your tax code indicates that the code is temporary. HMRC uses this when they expect to update your tax code once they receive more information about your income or circumstances.

Q16: Can I request a specific tax code if I believe it benefits my financial situation better?

A: While you cannot choose your tax code, you can ensure all relevant information HMRC has is accurate, which will lead to the correct tax code for your circumstances. If you think your current tax code doesn't reflect your situation accurately, you should contact HMRC.

Q17: What to do if I receive a tax code notice but it includes income I no longer receive?

A: If your tax code notice includes income you no longer receive, inform HMRC immediately. They will adjust your tax code to ensure it accurately reflects your current income.

Q18: How are untaxed incomes accounted for in my tax code?

A: Untaxed income, like certain savings interest or rental income, may be accounted for in your tax code by reducing your Personal Allowance. This is done so the estimated tax due on this income is collected through your regular pay.

Q19: What does a ‘BR’ tax code mean, and when is it used?

A: A 'BR' tax code means that all the income to which the code is applied is taxed at the basic rate, currently 20%. It's commonly used for a second job or pension where your personal allowance is used up by another income source.

Q20: If I am moving to the UK, how do I get assigned a tax code?

A: When you start your first job in the UK, you’ll fill out a starter checklist form that helps your employer (and HMRC) determine your correct tax code based on your residency status and previous income. If you don’t have a P45 from a previous job, you might initially be put on an emergency or temporary tax code.


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page