top of page
  • Writer's picturePTA

What is an SA102 Form?

Updated: Nov 15, 2023

The United Kingdom's tax system is complex, with several forms and declarations that taxpayers must complete and submit to stay compliant with Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC). One such form is the SA102, which plays a crucial role in reporting employment-related income. This article provides an in-depth look at the SA102 form, its purpose, and its key components.

If you are filing a tax return and also need to work for your employer, you must provide your work information on the return. You can submit your declaration online, then it will be adapted with the correct sections. If you are submitting your paper self-certification, please attach form SA102 to your return. SA102 is an add-on form that must be completed if you are hired part-time or full-time.

What is an SA102 Form?

What is the SA102 Form?

The SA102 form, commonly referred to as the 'Employment' supplementary page, is an essential component of the Self Assessment tax return system in the UK. It is specifically designed for taxpayers who receive income from employment or hold an office or directorship in a company. The form enables individuals to report their employment income, benefits, and expenses to the HMRC, ensuring that the correct amount of tax is calculated and paid.

Use the SA102 Form

Employment information must be recorded on the SA102 form, also known as an employment page.

If you have more than one opening, complete a separate page for each opening. The SA102 form is also completed for:

● Business management

● For agency work

● An officer, including the treasurer, secretary or president

● A partnership or corporation that acts as an intermediary but would otherwise be treated as an employee.

If you are a civil servant but have not received any compensation other than your own expenses, you do not need to complete the SA102 form. Make a note of this in the "Other Information" field of your tax return.

Note: A separate Employment page must be completed for each position, director position, or position held during the year and for all positions with a hidden personal loan, even if the employment relationship ended in the previous year.

Who Needs to Complete the SA102 Form?

The SA102 form must be completed by taxpayers who fall under the following categories:

  1. Employed individuals: Those who receive income from an employer during the tax year and have not been issued a form P60 or P45 by their employer.

  2. Company directors: Individuals holding directorship positions, even if they do not receive any income or benefits from the company.

  3. Officeholders: People holding an office or public position that results in taxable income.

If you are unsure whether you need to complete an SA102 form, consult a tax professional or the HMRC for guidance.

Key Components of the SA102 Form

The SA102 form consists of several sections that taxpayers need to complete accurately to report their employment income, benefits, and expenses. Some of the main sections include:

  1. Basic Information: This section requires taxpayers to provide essential information such as their name, National Insurance number, Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR), and employment details.

  2. Income Details: Taxpayers must report their income from employment in this section. They need to include details such as salary, wages, bonuses, commissions, and any other taxable income received during the tax year.

  3. Benefits in Kind: This section is for reporting non-cash benefits, such as company cars, accommodation, or private medical insurance, provided by an employer. Taxpayers must list the cash equivalent of these benefits to ensure accurate tax calculations.

  4. Expenses: Taxpayers can claim allowable employment expenses in this section. Some examples of such expenses include professional subscriptions, travel costs, and protective clothing. It is crucial to maintain proper records of these expenses to support any claims made.

  5. Statutory Pay: This section is for reporting statutory pay received during the tax year, such as Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP), Statutory Paternity Pay (SPP), or Statutory Sick Pay (SSP).

  6. Tax Reliefs: Taxpayers can claim reliefs on their SA102 form, including the Marriage Allowance or Blind Person's Allowance. This section allows individuals to reduce their tax liability through eligible reliefs.

How to Fill SA102?

The SA102 module can be found here. If you normally file a tax return every year, HMRC can also send it to you.

You will be asked to provide information about your employment, eg

● Income from work (on your P45 or P60)

● Working conditions (if your employer only issued you a P11D)

● labor costs

● All loans with hidden rewards

HMRC also provides detailed SA102 guidelines for each element of the formula.

Submitting the SA102 Form

The SA102 form is typically submitted alongside the main Self Assessment tax return (SA100) form. Taxpayers have two options for submitting their forms to the HMRC:

  1. Online: The HMRC's online portal allows taxpayers to complete and submit the SA102 form electronically. This method is convenient and offers faster processing times.

  2. Paper Submission: Taxpayers can also download, print, and complete the SA102 form by hand, then mail it to the HMRC. However, this method has longer processing times and a higher likelihood of errors.

SA102 Form Online

You only need to complete SA102 if you are filing on paper. The benefits of online storage are many: it is much simpler and the parts to complete are provided automatically. You can use the software it can sort your income and expense data and only provides the parts that are relevant to you

How to Fill SA102?

What Types of Income Should I Include?

All details of income and deductions must be clearly stated. While there are different types of income, the most common are:

● Wages

● Salaries

● Tips

● Bonuses

● Commission payments

● Payments to temporary workers

● Statutory maternity

● Paternity benefits

● Sickness

Information on all income and deductions allows HMRC to calculate the correct amount of tax and social assistance payments.

To ensure you are paying in the correct tax year, you should also consider the dates you started and/or finished any employment and the dates you received other types of income. Foreign earned income must be reported on Form SA102 along with any foreign tax deductions received if exemption from foreign withholding tax is sought. If you have paid a foreign tax on part of your professional income but are not applying for a foreign tax deduction, please complete the information in the Additional Information section.

How to Fill Different Sections of the SA102 Form in the UK

Filling out the SA102 form is a crucial aspect of the UK's Self Assessment tax return process for individuals with employment income, benefits, or expenses. This guide will walk you through the process of completing the different sections of the SA102 form to ensure accurate reporting of your employment-related income and deductions.

Basic Information

The first section of the SA102 form requires you to provide essential personal and employment information. Here, you will need to include:

  • Your name

  • Your National Insurance number

  • Your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR)

  • Your employer's name and address

  • Your employer's PAYE reference number

  • Your employment start and end dates (if applicable)

Income Details

In this section, you must report all taxable income received from your employment during the tax year. Be sure to include:

  • Salary, wages, or other regular payments

  • Bonuses or commissions

  • Tips or gratuities

  • Overtime pay

  • Other taxable income, such as profit-related pay or redundancy payments

  • Ensure that you include the total amount of income before tax and National Insurance deductions.

Benefits in Kind

The Benefits in Kind section is for reporting non-cash benefits provided by your employer. You must list the cash equivalent of these benefits to ensure accurate tax calculations. Some common benefits in kind include:

  • Company cars

  • Private medical insurance

  • Accommodation

  • Interest-free or low-interest loans

  • Vouchers, such as meal or gift vouchers

To calculate the cash equivalent of these benefits, refer to your P11D form or consult the HMRC guidelines.


In this section, you can claim allowable employment expenses that you have incurred during the tax year. Keep in mind that these expenses must be necessary for your job and not reimbursed by your employer. Some examples of allowable expenses include:

Professional subscriptions

  • Travel costs (excluding commuting)

  • Uniforms or protective clothing

  • Tools or equipment for your job

To claim these expenses, provide a description of each expense and the amount you are claiming. Be sure to maintain proper records and receipts to support your claims.

Statutory Pay

The Statutory Pay section is for reporting any statutory pay you have received during the tax year, such as:

  • Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP)

  • Statutory Paternity Pay (SPP)

  • Statutory Adoption Pay (SAP)

  • Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)

Include the total amount of statutory pay you received before tax and National Insurance deductions.

Tax Reliefs

In this section, you can claim various tax reliefs that you are eligible for, which may help reduce your tax liability. Some common tax reliefs include:

  • Marriage Allowance: If you are married or in a civil partnership and your partner has unused Personal Allowance, you can claim up to 10% of their unused allowance.

  • Blind Person's Allowance: If you are registered as blind or have severely impaired vision, you can claim an additional tax-free allowance.

  • Job-related expenses: You can claim tax relief on expenses that are necessary for your job but not reimbursed by your employer.

To claim these reliefs, provide the relevant details and the amount you are claiming in the appropriate boxes.

Additional Information

In this final section, you can provide any additional information related to your employment income, benefits, or expenses that you believe is relevant to your tax return. This may include explanations for unusual or large expenses, details about multiple employments, or other pertinent information.

How to Fill Different Sections of the SA102 Form Question/Box Wise

Filling out the SA102 form, which is part of the UK tax return process for the tax year from 6 April 2022 to 5 April 2023, requires careful attention to detail. Below are guidelines on how to complete each section of the form. Remember, the specifics will vary based on your personal circumstances.

Pay from Employment (Box 1)

  • Enter the total pay from your employment before tax as shown on your P45 or P60. This includes your salary, wages, bonuses, overtime, and statutory payments.

UK Tax Taken Off (Box 2)

  • Input the total UK tax that was deducted from your pay in Box 1. This information is available on your P45 or P60.

Tips and Other Payments (Box 3)

  • Report any tips or other payments you received that are not included in your P60. This could include cash tips or other non-salary payments.

PAYE Tax Reference of Your Employer (Box 4)

  • Provide the PAYE tax reference number of your employer. This number is found on your P45 or P60 and is unique to your employer.

Employer’s Name (Box 5)

  • Write the full legal name of your employer as stated on your employment contract or payslip.

Directorship Details (Boxes 6 and 6.1)

  • If you were a company director, mark 'X' in Box 6. If you ceased being a director before 6 April 2023, enter the date the directorship ceased in Box 6.1, formatted as DD MM YYYY.

Close Company Declaration (Box 7)

  • If the company you worked for was a close company, mark 'X' in Box 7. A close company is typically one controlled by five or fewer participants.

Off-Payroll Working (Box 8)

  • If your income is from inside off-payroll working engagements, mark 'X' in Box 8. Read the accompanying notes for more information on what constitutes off-payroll working.

Benefits from Employment (Boxes 9 to 15)

  • For each of these boxes, report the value of various benefits provided by your employer, such as company cars (Box 9), fuel (Box 10), private medical insurance (Box 11), and other benefits (Box 15). These values can usually be found on your form P11D.

Expenses and Charges (Boxes 16 to 20)

  • Report any expenses payments received (Box 16), business travel and subsistence expenses (Box 17), fixed deductions for expenses (Box 18), professional fees and subscriptions (Box 19), and other allowable expenses (Box 20). Ensure you have receipts or other records to back up these claims.

Remember, it's crucial to be accurate and truthful when completing your SA102 form. If you are unsure about any details, it's wise to consult a tax professional or refer to the official guidance provided on the UK government's website. This will ensure you comply with UK tax laws and avoid any potential penalties for incorrect or incomplete information.

Professional Help for the SA102 Form

Why is it a Good Idea to Get Professional Help for the SA102 Form in the UK?

The SA102 form is a crucial component of the Self Assessment tax return process for individuals with employment income, benefits, or expenses in the UK. While it may be tempting to tackle this form independently, seeking professional assistance can prove beneficial in many ways. We explore the advantages of getting professional help for completing and submitting your SA102 form to Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

Expert Knowledge and Guidance

Tax legislation and regulations can be complicated and ever-changing. Tax professionals are well-versed in current tax laws and requirements, ensuring that your SA102 form is completed in compliance with the latest regulations. They can provide valuable guidance and advice, helping you avoid costly mistakes or omissions that could result in penalties or additional tax liabilities.

Identification of Allowable Deductions and Reliefs

A tax professional can help you identify and claim all the allowable deductions and reliefs that you may be entitled to. By maximizing these deductions, you can reduce your overall tax liability and potentially save a significant amount of money. Tax professionals have in-depth knowledge of various reliefs and allowances, such as the Marriage Allowance, Blind Person's Allowance, and job-related expenses, which can be easily overlooked if you attempt to complete the form on your own.

Ensuring Accurate Calculations

Mistakes in calculations can lead to incorrect tax assessments, which may result in overpaying or underpaying your taxes. A tax professional can help ensure that all calculations on your SA102 form are accurate, taking into account your income, benefits, expenses, and any relevant deductions or reliefs. This will help you avoid any potential issues with HMRC and ensure that you pay the correct amount of tax.

Time Savings

Completing the SA102 form can be a time-consuming task, particularly if you are unfamiliar with the process or have multiple sources of employment income. By enlisting the help of a tax professional, you can save valuable time that can be better spent on other priorities. Moreover, a tax professional will be able to complete the form more efficiently and accurately, reducing the likelihood of delays or additional work required to rectify mistakes.

Assistance with Record Keeping

Proper record-keeping is essential for supporting any claims made on your SA102 form. A tax professional can help you understand what records you need to maintain and how to organize them effectively. This will not only ensure that you have the necessary documentation to substantiate your claims but also make it easier for you to complete your tax return in the future.

Representation in Case of HMRC Enquiries

If HMRC decides to investigate your tax return, having a tax professional on your side can be invaluable. They can represent you in communications with HMRC, help you gather the required documentation, and provide expert advice to navigate the inquiry process. This can help you avoid unnecessary stress and potential penalties.

Peace of Mind

Completing your tax return can be a daunting task, especially if you have little experience with the UK's tax system. By seeking professional help for your SA102 form, you can have peace of mind knowing that your tax return has been prepared accurately and in compliance with all relevant regulations. This can alleviate stress and allow you to focus on other important aspects of your life.


While it may seem cost-effective to complete the SA102 form independently, the benefits of seeking professional assistance far outweigh the initial expense. Tax professionals can provide expert knowledge and guidance, identify potential deductions and reliefs, ensure accurate calculations, save you time, assist with record keeping, represent you in case of HMRC inquiries, and provide peace of mind. By investing in professional help for your SA

22 Most Important FAQs about A102 Form

1. Q: What is the deadline for submitting the SA102 form?

A: The deadline for submitting the SA102 form aligns with the Self Assessment tax return deadline, which is usually January 31st following the end of the tax year.

2. Q: Can I amend my SA102 form after submission?

A: Yes, you can amend your SA102 form if you discover an error. This is typically done through your HMRC online account or by sending a revised paper form.

3. Q: Is the SA102 form required if I'm self-employed?

A: No, the SA102 form is specifically for individuals receiving income from employment. Self-employed individuals use different sections of the Self Assessment tax return.

4. Q: How do I report foreign employment income on the SA102 form?

A: Foreign employment income is reported in the same way as UK employment income, but you must also fill in the 'Residence, remittance basis etc.' section on your tax return.

5. Q: What if I started or ended a job part-way through the tax year?

A: Report your employment income for the period you worked. Your P45 or P60 should provide the necessary information for these periods.

6. Q: Are freelance or contract work earnings reported on the SA102 form?

A: No, freelance or contract work is typically considered self-employment and should be reported in the self-employment sections of your tax return.

7. Q: How do I report multiple employments on the SA102 form?

A: You need to fill out a separate SA102 form for each employment you held during the tax year.

8. Q: What if I don't have a P60 or P45 form?

A: If you don't have a P60 or P45, you should use other records like payslips or bank statements to report your income and tax paid.

9. Q: Do I need to report state benefits on the SA102 form?

A: No, state benefits are not reported on the SA102 form. They are usually reported in other sections of your Self Assessment tax return.

10. Q: How do I claim tax relief for job expenses on the SA102 form?

A: You can claim tax relief for allowable job expenses in the 'Expenses' section of the SA102 form.

11. Q: What should I do if I'm unsure about how to fill in a particular section?

A: If you're unsure, it's best to consult a tax professional or contact HMRC for guidance to ensure accuracy.

12. Q: Can I file the SA102 form electronically?

A: Yes, the SA102 form can be filed electronically through the HMRC online services.

13. Q: How do I report income from a directorship on the SA102 form?

A: Income from directorships is reported in the 'Directorships' section of the SA102 form.

14. Q: What if I made a contribution to a company pension scheme?

A: Contributions to company pension schemes are usually reported in the 'Pensions and retirement annuities' section of your tax return.

15. Q: Can I claim Marriage Allowance on the SA102 form?

A: Yes, if you're eligible, you can claim Marriage Allowance in the 'Tax Reliefs' section of your tax return.

16. Q: How do I report benefits in kind, like a company car?

A: Benefits in kind are reported in the 'Benefits from Employment' section of the SA102 form.

17. Q: What if I received redundancy payments?

A: Redundancy payments should be reported in the 'Other taxable income' section of the SA102 form.

18. Q: Can I use the SA102 form to update my address with HMRC?

A: No, to update your address, you should use the HMRC online services or contact them directly.

19. Q: How do I report statutory sick pay (SSP)?

A: Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) is reported in the 'Statutory Pay' section of the SA102 form.

20. Q: What should I do if I have income from employment and self-employment? A: You should fill out both the SA102 form for your employment income and the relevant Self Assessment sections for your self-employment income.

Remember, each taxpayer's situation is unique, and you should seek personalized advice if you have complex tax situations or are unsure about your tax obligations.

21. What Happens if I Pay Too Much or Too Little?

A: If you pay too much tax, you will be refunded the overpaid amount. If you underpay your taxes, you can make a voluntary payment or request a collection with your PAYE social security number.

22. What Else Do I Need?

A: When you complete your employment details, you will be asked for a PAYE reference number from your employer. It's on your P60 form, which contains information about your year-end salary and taxes, or your P45 form, which contains information about your closest relatives at work.


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page