top of page
  • Writer's picturePTA

How to Know What Tax Form to Use

Navigating the UK income tax system requires a comprehensive understanding of its structure and the array of tax forms designed to cater to various income types and individual circumstances. In the UK, the tax year runs from April 6th to the following April 5th, and within this period, taxpayers must ensure they have complied with the legal requirements regarding the declaration and payment of taxes.

The UK’s income tax system is progressive, meaning that the rate at which an individual is taxed increases with the amount of taxable income they earn. The system is divided into bands, each with its own tax rate. As of 2024, these bands determine how much tax is payable on the income falling within their limits.

How to Know What Tax Form to Use

Recognizing the correct tax form is not merely a bureaucratic necessity but also a pivotal step in fulfilling one's tax obligations accurately and efficiently. Incorrect filing or non-compliance can lead to penalties, unnecessary delays, and sometimes, overpayment or underpayment of taxes. It is critical to select the right tax form to avoid these pitfalls and to ensure all information submitted to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) is accurate and complete.

Income in the UK can come from various sources and is broadly classified into several categories. Each category is subjected to its specific tax treatments and declarations:

  1. Employment Income: This is the income received from working as an employee under a contract of service. It includes wages, salaries, bonuses, commissions, and any benefits in kind such as company cars. Typically, taxes for employment income are collected through the Pay As You Earn (PAYE) system, where tax is deducted by the employer before the employee receives their net salary.

  2. Self-Employment and Freelance Income: Individuals who run their own business or work on a freelance basis are responsible for reporting their income through a Self Assessment tax return. This method requires more hands-on management from the taxpayer, as they must calculate their own tax liabilities and file returns annually.

  3. Investment Income: This encompasses income from interest on savings, dividends from shares, and income from trusts. Each type has its specific tax considerations and thresholds, with dividends, for example, being taxed at different rates compared to other forms of income.

  4. Property Income: Rental income earned from property letting must be declared and is typically part of a Self Assessment tax return. This includes any rent received, as well as charges for additional services provided such as utilities.

  5. Pensions: Pensions are taxed differently depending on whether they are state, private, or workplace pensions. The method of taxation will depend on the type and amount of pension one receives.

  6. Capital Gains: This tax is levied on the profit made from selling certain types of assets that have increased in value. It is not the amount of money received from the sale that is taxed, but the gain made.

  7. Other Income: This can include, but is not limited to, foreign income for those living in the UK, income from a trust, and certain forms of gambling winnings which may be subject to taxation.

Understanding which tax form corresponds to each type of income is vital. For employees, forms such as P60, P45, and P11D are commonly encountered. The P60 form is an annual summary of the amount paid and the tax deducted by the employer. Conversely, the P45 is provided when an employment relationship ends, summarizing earnings and taxes up until the leaving date. The P11D form details any benefits in kind received by the employee. For those self-employed or receiving income not taxed at source, a Self Assessment tax return is the primary form used to report income to HMRC.

Each form serves as a component in the grand mechanism of the UK tax infrastructure, designed to ensure fairness and efficiency in tax collection. It is not simply a matter of compliance but of contributing to the functioning of public services and the wider economy. As such, taxpayers must pay diligent attention to their individual circumstances, the sources of their income, and the corresponding tax forms required by HMRC. This will ensure they remain on the right side of the law and make an accurate contribution to the public coffers.

Understanding Your Sources of Income

Understanding Your Sources of Income

In the complex landscape of UK taxation, identifying and categorizing one's income sources is a fundamental step in the accurate filing of taxes. These categories not only simplify the process but also clarify the specific forms that need to be utilized for each income type.

Employment Income

Employment income is the most common source of income and is typically taxed at source through the Pay As You Earn (PAYE) system. It includes wages, salaries, bonuses, commissions, and other monetary benefits. The tax forms associated with employment income are central to ensuring tax compliance and accuracy in reporting.

  • P60: This is an annual summary provided by the employer, detailing the total pay and deductions made in a tax year. It is a crucial document for employees as it proves the tax paid when applying for a loan or mortgage and is necessary if a tax refund claim needs to be made.

  • P45: This form is issued by the employer when an employee stops working for them. It shows the income earned and the taxes paid up to the end of the employment. It must be given to the new employer to ensure that future taxes are calculated correctly.

  • P11D: This document outlines any 'benefits in kind' that employees receive, such as company cars or private medical insurance. These are taxable benefits, and the P11D informs both the employee and HMRC of the value of these benefits for tax purposes.

Self-Employment and Freelance Income

For those who are self-employed or working on a freelance basis, managing tax affairs is more hands-on. These individuals must keep meticulous records of their income and expenses to accurately report and pay their taxes.

  • Self Assessment tax return: Freelancers and self-employed individuals utilize this system to report their earnings to HMRC annually. This return can also include other sources of untaxed income, such as rental income or capital gains.

Investment Income

Investment income can come from various sources and is subject to different tax treatments based on its nature.

  • Interest on Savings: Interest earned from savings accounts often requires individuals to fill out a Self Assessment tax return if it exceeds the personal savings allowance.

  • Dividends: Dividends from shares attract tax once they exceed the dividend allowance. Investors report dividend income through the Self Assessment tax return and pay any tax due accordingly.

  • Capital Gains: When selling assets like stocks or property, one might make a profit termed capital gain. To report and pay tax on these gains, the Capital Gains Tax summary form is used, which is part of the Self Assessment tax return.

Property Income

Income from property rental must also be reported to HMRC. This category covers the rental income after deducting allowable expenses.

  • Self Assessment tax return: Individuals who receive rental income need to declare it on their Self Assessment tax return unless it is below a certain threshold, in which case it may not need to be declared.


Pension income is taxed in a variety of ways, depending on the type of pension and how the individual draws income from their pension pot.

  • P60: Pension providers issue a P60 to outline the total pension received and any tax deducted during the tax year.

  • Pension Savings Tax Charges: If one exceeds the annual allowance for pension contributions, a tax charge is payable which is reported through a Self Assessment tax return.

Other Income

Income from other sources may also require different forms of reporting.

  • Foreign Income: For UK residents with foreign income, declaring this income might necessitate the completion of the foreign section of the Self Assessment tax return, depending on whether the income is taxed in another country and the existence of any double-taxation agreements.

  • Trust Income: Beneficiaries receiving income from a trust will typically be provided with a statement from the trustees outlining the income and tax deducted, which they must declare through a Self Assessment tax return.

  • Gambling Winnings: Generally, gambling winnings are not taxed in the UK, but in certain circumstances, like when gambling is conducted as a business, winnings must be declared.

By classifying income correctly and understanding the corresponding tax forms, taxpayers can navigate the UK tax system with confidence. For the employed, forms like the P60, P45, and P11D are crucial, while for those with more complex income streams, the Self Assessment tax return becomes the cornerstone of their tax filing. It's imperative to stay informed about the tax implications of each income type and to maintain detailed records to facilitate accurate tax reporting.

Essential Tax Forms for Employees

Navigating the tax obligations associated with employment income in the UK can be complex, but understanding the appropriate tax forms for this purpose is vital for both tax compliance and personal financial management. These forms are central to the process of reporting, paying, and reconciling one's income tax with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). Here, we delve into the specifics of these essential tax documents for employees.

P60: End of Year Certificate

One of the fundamental tax documents for any employee is the P60 form, officially known as the "End of Year Certificate." This document is issued by the employer at the end of the tax year (which runs from April 6th to April 5th of the following year) and serves multiple functions:

  • Summary of Income: The P60 form provides a summary of an employee's total income earned from that employer during the tax year.

  • Record of Tax and National Insurance Paid: It details the amount of income tax and National Insurance contributions that have been deducted from the employee's salary through the PAYE system.

  • Proof of Tax Paid: The P60 is an important document for employees because it is often required as proof of income and tax paid when applying for loans, mortgages, or claiming a tax rebate.

  • Tax Disputes and Overpayments: If there is a disagreement about how much tax has been paid, or if an employee believes they have overpaid tax, the P60 is a necessary document to resolve such issues.

All employees should receive a P60 from their employers by May 31st, following the end of the tax year in question. It's imperative to keep this document safe as it is required for future tax references and personal record-keeping.

P45: Details of Employee Leaving Work

The P45 form plays a crucial role when an employment relationship comes to an end, whether due to resignation, termination, or redundancy.

  • Employment Details: The P45 contains details of the employee's salary and the tax that has been paid up to the point of departure.

  • New Employment Transition: It is divided into several parts; part 1 is sent by the employer to HMRC, while parts 1A, 2, and 3 are given to the employee. The employee must provide parts 2 and 3 to their new employer or to the Jobcentre if they're claiming Jobseeker's Allowance.

  • Tax Code Consistency: By handing the P45 to a new employer, they can maintain the correct tax code and ensure that the new employee's tax deductions continue seamlessly from the previous employment.

  • End-of-Employment Documentation: If an employee is not going to work for a while or is retiring, they should still keep their P45 safe as it is a vital document that records their income and taxes up to that date.

In the event that the P45 is misplaced or not provided, employees should inform their new employer or Jobcentre. The employer might then use a 'Starter Checklist' to ensure the correct tax code is used until a P45 is obtained.

P11D: Benefits in Kind

While salary is the most direct form of income, many employees receive additional benefits from their employer, such as company cars, health insurance, or interest-free loans. These non-cash benefits are known as 'benefits in kind' and are subject to taxation.

  • Declaration of Benefits: The P11D form is the document that an employer must complete to report the value of certain benefits in kind provided to employees earning over a certain threshold during the tax year.

  • Employee and HMRC Notification: The form needs to be submitted to HMRC, and a copy is provided to the employee so they are aware of the value of their benefits in kind, which affects their tax liability.

  • National Insurance Contributions: Employers also use P11D forms to calculate how much Class 1A National Insurance they need to pay on the benefits provided, which must be paid by July 22nd if paying electronically or by July 19th otherwise.

  • Tax Code Adjustment: HMRC uses the information from the P11D to adjust the employee's tax code to account for the tax due on benefits in kind, so the tax is collected through the PAYE system in the following tax year.

P9D: Minor Benefits in Kind

For employees who earn less than the threshold for P11D, the P9D form used to be the relevant document. However, it's noteworthy to mention that the P9D form was abolished after the 2015-2016 tax year. Now, all benefits in kind are reported on the P11D, regardless of income level. This move simplified the process for both employers and HMRC.

P2: Notice of Coding

The P2 form, known as the "Notice of Coding," isn't issued by employers but is a crucial document for understanding an employee's tax code.

  • Tax Code Explanation: Issued by HMRC, the P2 form explains the tax code that will be used by the employer in the PAYE system. It breaks down the allowances, deductions, and reliefs that have been taken into account to determine the amount of tax-free income an individual is entitled to in a tax year.

  • Future Tax Adjustment: Any changes that may affect the employee's tax code, such as changes in company benefits or personal circumstances, will be reflected in a new P2 form that informs both the employee and employer of the adjusted tax code.

Each of these documents plays a vital role in the reporting and reconciling of employment income and taxes for both employers and employees. By understanding the purpose and the context in which these tax forms are used, employees can ensure they are taxed correctly and can manage their financial affairs with greater confidence. Whether it’s verifying the tax deducted from their salary, switching jobs, or handling taxable benefits, having a thorough knowledge of these forms helps employees navigate the tax system effectively.

Tax Forms for the Self-Employed and Freelancers

When self-employed individuals and freelancers in the UK approach their tax affairs, they must navigate a system that is distinct from that used by salaried employees. The cornerstone of this process is the Self Assessment tax return, which is an annual requirement for anyone with untaxed income.

Self Assessment Tax Return (SA100)

The Self Assessment tax return is a comprehensive system designed to capture all forms of income and capital gains, allowing taxpayers to calculate their tax liability, report it to HMRC, and arrange payment. This system applies to individuals who are self-employed as sole traders, partners in a business, or in some cases, company directors.

The Basics of Self Assessment:

  • Registration: First, one must register with HMRC for Self Assessment. This can be done online and should be completed by October 5th following the end of the tax year for which you need to file a return.

  • Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR): Upon registration, HMRC will issue a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR). This 10-digit number is critical as it identifies you within HMRC’s systems for all matters relating to your Self Assessment.

  • Gathering Records: It's essential to keep accurate and comprehensive records of all business-related income and expenses throughout the fiscal year. These records form the foundation of the Self Assessment tax return.

  • Filling Out the Form: The SA100 form requires detailed information about all sources of income, not just from self-employment. This includes employment income (if you are also employed), interest on savings, dividends, rental income, and any other taxable income received during the tax year.

  • Deadlines: The tax year in the UK runs from April 6th to April 5th, and Self Assessment tax returns must be filed by October 31st for paper returns or by January 31st for online submissions for the previous tax year. For example, for the 2023/2024 tax year, the online submission deadline would be January 31st, 2025.

  • Payments: Payments are usually due by January 31st following the end of the tax year. A second 'payment on account' – an advance payment towards next year's tax – may also be due on July 31st.

Additional Pages:

Depending on the complexity of one's financial affairs, additional supplementary pages may be required to complete the Self Assessment tax return.

  • SA103S or SA103F for Self-Employment: These are for reporting income from self-employment. SA103S is the short version for simpler affairs, and SA103F is the full version for more complex accounts.

  • SA105 for Land and Property Income: For those who have rental income, this form must be completed along with the main tax return.

  • SA102 for Employment: If the taxpayer is both employed and self-employed, they must fill out this form to declare income from employment.

  • SA109 for Residents or Non-Residents: This applies to those with special residency status, such as non-residents or dual residents.

National Insurance Contributions

Self-employed individuals are also responsible for paying National Insurance contributions, which provides them with access to some state benefits, including the State Pension. There are two types of National Insurance that may apply:

  • Class 2 Contributions: If your profits are above a small earnings threshold, you are liable to pay flat-rate Class 2 contributions, which can be paid through your Self Assessment tax return.

  • Class 4 Contributions: These are earnings-related and are calculated as a percentage of your annual taxable profits.

Making Tax Digital for Income Tax

From April 2024, Making Tax Digital (MTD) for Income Tax is set to become mandatory for businesses and landlords with annual business or property income above £10,000. This scheme requires taxpayers to keep digital records and use compatible software to submit updates to HMRC quarterly, followed by a final declaration at the end of the tax year.

Penalties and Interest

Failing to submit tax returns and payments on time can result in penalties and interest charges. Immediate penalties apply for late submissions, followed by additional charges at 3, 6, and 12 months. Interest accrues on late payments from the due date until full payment is made.

In summary, for the self-employed and freelancers, the Self Assessment tax return is central to tax compliance in the UK. Its completion often requires careful record-keeping and awareness of additional paperwork based on the individual’s various income streams. As tax regulations evolve, such as the introduction of MTD, staying informed and planning is key to a successful submission. Understanding when and how to fill out these forms correctly is crucial for meeting legal obligations and avoiding any penalties for non-compliance.

Dealing with Investment Income

Tax Forms Associated with Investment Income

Investment income, which includes dividends, interest from savings, and capital gains, can significantly affect your tax liability. Understanding the specific tax forms required to report and pay tax on these types of income is crucial for compliance with UK taxNavigating the UK income tax system requires a comprehensive understanding of its structure and the array of tax forms designed to cater to various income types and individual circumstances. In the UK, the tax year runs from April 6th to the following April 5th, and within this period, taxpayers must ensure they have complied with the legal requirements regarding the declaration and payment of taxes.

Dividend Income

Dividends are payments made by a company to its shareholders out of the profits it has made. If you receive dividend income, it must be declared on your Self Assessment tax return, using the SA100 form. Here’s how the process works:

  • Dividend Allowance: In the UK, there is a tax-free dividend allowance. Any dividend income you receive over this allowance is subject to taxation. The allowance and tax rates can change with each financial year, so it's important to check the current rates.

  • Reporting Dividends: On the SA100 tax return form, there's a section for dividend income. You need to report the gross amount of your dividend income, which includes the dividend amount plus the notional tax credit.

  • Tax Bands and Rates: Dividend income above the allowance falls into different tax bands. Basic rate taxpayers pay a lower percentage on dividends than higher or additional rate taxpayers. These rates are not the same as the regular income tax rates and should be applied correctly to dividend income.

  • Additional Forms: If you have complex dividend income or receive dividends from foreign sources, you may need to fill out supplementary pages such as SA106 (Foreign) and include these with your main tax return.

Interest Income

Interest income from savings is taxable, and the tax treatment can differ depending on the source of interest, such as bank and building society interest, interest from government or corporate bonds, and peer-to-peer lending interest.

  • Personal Savings Allowance: Similar to dividends, there's a Personal Savings Allowance (PSA) which lets you earn a certain amount of savings interest tax-free depending on your income tax band.

  • Reporting Interest Income: You report interest income through the SA100 tax return form. Separate sections are included for bank and building society interest, interest from securities and government stocks, and interest from purchased life annuities.

  • Tax Deducted at Source: Historically, banks deducted tax from interest at source, but since 2016, banks and building societies have stopped doing this, and all interest is paid gross. Thus, you have to declare all of your interest income on the tax return, and any tax due is calculated based on your total taxable income.

  • Additional Forms: If you receive interest from corporate bonds or gilts, this must be reported on the SA100 form. For foreign savings interest, you would typically use the SA106 form.

Capital Gains Tax

When you sell or dispose of an asset that has increased in value, you may have to pay Capital Gains Tax (CGT) on the profit, which is the difference between what it cost you and what you received when selling it. There are various reliefs and allowances to consider with CGT:

  • Annual Exempt Amount: Each tax year, you have an annual exempt amount. Gains below this amount are not subject to CGT. Above this threshold, you will need to pay CGT.

  • Reporting Capital Gains: Capital gains are reported on the Self Assessment tax return using the Capital Gains summary pages (SA108). You will need to calculate the gain for each asset disposed of during the tax year and report the total taxable gain after considering any reliefs or exemptions that apply.

  • Rates of CGT: The rate at which CGT is paid depends on your total taxable income and whether the gain is from residential property or other assets. There are basic-rate and higher-rate bands for CGT, which must be applied correctly depending on your income bracket.

  • Payment on Account: For certain disposals, you may have to make a 'payment on account' for CGT. This is an advance payment towards your tax liability on gains realized from selling or disposing of assets.

It's important to maintain detailed records of all investments, including purchase and sale dates, amounts, and expenses associated with acquiring or disposing of the assets to accurately calculate capital gains or losses.

Property Income and Relevant Tax Forms

The taxation of property income is an important aspect of the UK tax system, especially for those who invest in property for rental purposes. In 2024, landlords are required to report rental income to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) and pay any tax due. Property income tax involves a few different forms and processes, depending on various factors such as the type of rental, the amount of income earned, and the individual's overall tax situation.

Self Assessment Tax Return (SA100)

Landlords in the UK must report their rental income as part of their Self Assessment tax return. The SA100 form is the main tax return for individuals. It covers various types of income, including:

  • Employment income

  • Self-employment income

  • Income from savings and investments

  • Pension income

  • Income from property

For rental income specifically, there are additional supplementary pages known as the Property Income pages (SA105) that need to be completed alongside the SA100.

Property Income Pages (SA105)

The SA105 supplementary pages are designed for landlords to report income and expenses from UK property. This form covers both residential and commercial property income and allows landlords to declare various types of expenses that can be deducted from the rental income to reduce the taxable amount.

Key Sections of SA105:

  • Rental Income: This section requires details of the gross rental income received during the tax year. Landlords must include the full amount before any deductions, even if part of the property is let rent-free or below market rate.

  • Allowable Expenses: Expenses directly related to the letting of the property can be deducted from the rental income. These can include landlord insurance, property repairs and maintenance, property management fees, and interest on mortgages or loans taken out to purchase the property.

  • Rent-a-Room Relief: If part of a landlord’s main residence is rented out, a special scheme called 'Rent-a-Room' allows for a tax-free allowance. If rental income is below this threshold, it does not need to be declared. However, if the income exceeds this amount, the landlord must complete the property income pages and choose whether to deduct the allowance or actual expenses from their rental income.

  • Furnished Holiday Lettings (FHL): Income from properties that qualify as FHLs must be reported separately from other rental income. FHLs can benefit from certain tax advantages, such as Capital Gains Tax reliefs, provided they meet specific criteria regarding availability and actual letting.

Non-Resident Landlord Scheme (NRL)

Landlords who live outside the UK for more than 6 months in a tax year are considered non-resident landlords. The NRL scheme requires that tax on rental income be handled differently. Typically, UK property agents or tenants are required to withhold tax from the rent they pay to non-resident landlords unless the landlord is approved to receive the rent without tax deducted. Even if the tax is deducted at source, non-resident landlords must still file a UK tax return to report their rental income and claim any allowable expenses.

Reporting and Payment Deadlines

The deadlines for submitting the Self Assessment tax return and paying any tax owed are:

  • Paper tax returns: 31st October following the end of the tax year.

  • Online tax returns: 31st January following the end of the tax year.

Tax payments are also due by 31st January following the end of the tax year. However, if the taxpayer owes more than £1,000 in tax and does not pay enough through withholding or advance payments, they might need to make 'payments on account', which are advance payments towards the tax bill, due in two installments (31st January and 31st July).

Keeping Records

Landlords should keep meticulous records of their rental income and expenses. HMRC may request evidence of income and expenses for up to 6 years after the relevant tax year, so keeping organized and accurate records is essential. Records should include:

  • Rental agreements or contracts

  • Receipts for income received

  • Invoices for expenses incurred

  • Bank statements and mortgage documents

  • Communications with letting agents or tenants

How to Complete and File

To complete and file a Self Assessment tax return with property income:

  1. Register for Self Assessment: If not already registered, landlords must do so by 5th October following the end of the tax year in which they began receiving rental income.

  2. Gather Information: Compile all necessary documents, including records of rental income and allowable expenses.

  3. Complete the Forms: Fill out the SA100 and the SA105 supplementary pages, ensuring all income and expenses are accurately reported.

  4. Submit the Tax Return: Landlords can submit the forms either online through the HMRC website or by mail. Online submission is generally faster and provides immediate confirmation of receipt.

  5. Pay the Tax Due: After submitting the tax return, the landlord will be notified of the amount of tax owed. This can be paid online, via bank transfer, or through other methods offered by HMRC.

Adhering to these guidelines ensures landlords meet their tax obligations and avoid penalties for late or incorrect filings. It's also advisable to seek professional advice or use the services of a tax accountant if there's any uncertainty about how to report property income or claim allowable expenses.

Tax Forms for Unique Circumstances

Foreign Income Reporting in the UK

Taxpayers in the UK who earn income from abroad may need to deal with a more intricate aspect of tax filing. This includes income earned from working overseas, foreign investments and savings, rental income on overseas property, and any foreign pensions. The tax form and reporting procedure will depend on the taxpayer's residence status and whether the UK has a double-taxation agreement with the country from which the income originates.

SA106 Foreign (Supplementary Pages)

Individuals who are required to complete a Self Assessment tax return and have foreign income or gains will typically need to fill out the SA106 supplementary pages, also known as the 'Foreign' pages. Key sections include:

  • Foreign Income: This part requires the disclosure of income such as overseas salaries, foreign dividends, and interest from foreign savings.

  • Foreign Tax Paid: If tax was paid on the income in another country, it can be noted here, which may affect the tax due in the UK.

  • Foreign Capital Gains: This section is for reporting gains from disposing of foreign assets.

If the taxpayer is 'non-domiciled' in the UK, they may opt to claim the 'remittance basis' of taxation, which means they only pay UK tax on the foreign income they bring into the country. This claim is also made using the SA106 form.

Dual-Residency and Tax Treaties

For individuals who are considered residents in more than one country during the same tax year, the Double Taxation Agreement (DTA) between the two countries will determine where they should pay tax. Form DT-Individual is used to claim relief under a DTA, but it's vital to consult with a tax professional to navigate this complex area of tax law correctly.

Inheritance Tax and Related Forms

Inheritance Tax (IHT) is charged on the estate of someone who has died and is passing on assets, whether that's money, property, or possessions. The standard Inheritance Tax rate is 40%, charged on the part of the estate that's above the tax-free threshold (nil-rate band).

Form IHT205

Form IHT205 is used for estates that do not need to pay IHT, typically because they're valued below the nil-rate band or the deceased left everything to their spouse or civil partner, a charity, or a community amateur sports club.

Form IHT400

For more substantial and complex estates, especially those with an IHT liability, Form IHT400 is required. This comprehensive form covers various aspects of the estate and its value, and multiple schedules may need to be completed to provide detailed information about the deceased's assets and liabilities.

Trust Income and Relevant Forms

Trustees managing trust funds need to understand their tax obligations, including paying Income Tax on any income the trust property generates. Trust taxation can be convoluted, with different rates and allowances applying depending on the type of trust.

Trust and Estate Self Assessment Tax Return (SA900)

The SA900 is the tax return for trustees of a trust or personal representatives of an estate. It includes sections on:

  • Income from the trust: All income received by the trust, such as rental income from property held in trust, must be reported.

  • Capital Gains: If the trust disposes of any assets, this could give rise to a Capital Gains Tax liability.

  • Deductions and Reliefs: Trusts may be entitled to certain tax deductions and reliefs, which can be claimed through the SA900 form.

It is advisable for trustees unfamiliar with tax laws to consult a tax professional or a trust and estate practitioner for assistance with these filings.

Tax Relief for Charitable Donations

Taxpayers in the UK can claim tax relief on money donated to charity. This relief is advantageous not only to the taxpayer but also to the charities, as it enhances the value of the donation at no extra cost to the donor.

Gift Aid Declarations

When a taxpayer makes a donation to a charity under Gift Aid, the charity can claim an extra 25p for every £1 donated. For the donor, if they are a higher rate taxpayer, they can claim back the difference between the higher rate of tax and the basic rate on their donation.

The process does not usually require a specific form from the taxpayer. Instead, the donor makes a Gift Aid declaration to the charity, which can be done via a form provided by the charity itself. This could be a written declaration or a verbal agreement for smaller donations.

SA100 Tax Return

For higher or additional rate taxpayers who want to claim the additional tax relief, they will need to do so through their SA100 Self Assessment tax return. They should keep records of all donations made to include them in the tax return.

In summary, understanding and using the correct tax forms for unique circumstances are essential for compliance with UK tax laws. Whether it's foreign income, inheritance, trust income, or charitable donations, each area has its own set of rules and forms. Staying informed and, if necessary, seeking professional advice can help ensure that all tax obligations are met while taking advantage of any available reliefs.

How to Choose the Correct Tax Form

How to Choose the Correct Tax Form

Guidance on the Submission Process for Tax Forms

Navigating the process of submitting tax forms to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) is a critical step in fulfilling one's tax obligations. The following details the procedures and timelines involved, as well as tips on how to interact with HMRC effectively.

Deadlines for Tax Form Submission

Each tax form has its own deadline that taxpayers must adhere to. For instance, the Self Assessment tax return for the tax year ending on 5 April must usually be filed by the following deadlines:

  • Paper returns: 31 October.

  • Online returns: 31 January the next year.

  • Payment of the tax owed: 31 January the next year.

For other tax forms, such as P60s or P45s, which are provided by employers, the deadlines will differ. It is important to check the specific deadlines for each form to avoid penalties.

Online Submission

The majority of tax forms can be submitted online, which is often the most efficient method. Taxpayers can use HMRC's online services by creating a Government Gateway account, which provides access to a dashboard where they can fill out and submit forms, view their tax account, and check their deadlines and payments.

For example, the SA100 Self Assessment tax return can be completed and submitted online through this portal. HMRC has created a user-friendly interface that guides taxpayers through the submission process, ensuring that they complete all necessary sections based on their sources of income.

Dealing with HMRC

Dealing with HMRC can sometimes be daunting, but it's important to remember that they provide a range of support services to help taxpayers. Here are some tips for interacting with HMRC:

  • Contact details: Keep a record of HMRC's contact details, including the Self Assessment helpline and the specific department relevant to your tax affairs.

  • Reference numbers: Always have your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) or National Insurance number handy when contacting HMRC, as this will allow them to access your records quickly.

  • Record keeping: Keep detailed records of all communications with HMRC, including dates, names of representatives, and advice or instructions given.

  • Clarity and honesty: Be clear and honest in your communications. If you are unsure about something, ask for clarification. If you've made a mistake, inform them as soon as possible to rectify the situation.

  • Professional help: Consider engaging a tax advisor or accountant if your tax affairs are complex.

HMRC also offers tools and calculators to help estimate your tax for the current or previous tax years. By using HMRC's tax checker, taxpayers can obtain an estimate of the Income Tax they should have paid. This feature is beneficial for those who need to retrospectively assess their tax liability and ensure they're in line with their obligations.

Additionally, HMRC's website has extensive guidance and related content that can help you understand the nuances of different tax codes and offer detailed information on Income Tax.,

Dealing with Amendments

If you discover that you have submitted incorrect information on a tax form, you should take action immediately to amend the return. The process for doing this will depend on the specific form and whether you filed online or on paper.

For Self Assessment tax returns, you can make amendments online through your HM Government Gateway account within 12 months of the original deadline. For paper returns, you will need to download a new tax return, fill out the entire form again with the correct information, and submit it to HMRC, indicating that it's an amendment.

In the event of more significant errors, or if you need to amend a tax return after the 12-month period has passed, you may need to write to HMRC explaining the situation. It is advisable to consult a professional if you find yourself in this position.

Overall, understanding the submission process for tax forms, meeting deadlines, and knowing how to interact with HMRC is paramount for UK taxpayers. By remaining organized, vigilant, and proactive, individuals can ensure they comply with tax laws and avoid unnecessary complications with their tax affairs.

Submitting Your Tax Forms

Navigating the myriad of tax forms and ensuring their correct submission can be a complex task. Whether you are submitting online or via post, the procedures are designed to be as streamlined as possible by the HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC). It is paramount that taxpayers understand the submission protocols and take advantage of the resources provided for assistance.

Online Submission of Tax Forms

The digital age has revolutionized the way taxpayers interact with HMRC. For convenience, speed, and efficiency, most taxpayers opt for the online submission of tax forms. Here's how you can do it:

  1. Registration: To file your taxes online, you first need to be registered for HMRC Online Services. This involves creating a Government Gateway account, for which you will need your National Insurance number and details of one form of identification like a valid UK passport or a recent payslip.

  2. Activation: Upon registration, you'll be sent an activation code through the post. This can take up to 10 days to arrive and is valid for 28 days. Once you have this code, you can activate your account and begin using HMRC's online services.

  3. Filing Your Return: After logging in, you will find the relevant tax forms for your situation. The online system is intuitive, offering prompts and guidance through the process. For example, the Self Assessment tax return (SA100) will adjust itself based on the information you provide, displaying sections that only apply to your circumstances.

  4. Correction and Review: The online system allows you to save your progress and return to your submission at a later time. It's crucial to carefully review your entries for accuracy before submitting them.

  5. Confirmation: Once submitted, you will receive an immediate confirmation of receipt from HMRC. This confirmation is proof of submission and should be kept for your records.

  6. Support and Resources: HMRC provides various help resources, including detailed guides, webinars, and even YouTube videos. For those needing further assistance, there is a dedicated Self Assessment helpline.

  7. Software for Tax Returns: Some taxpayers, especially those with more complex tax affairs or businesses, might need to use commercial software that is compatible with HMRC's systems to submit their returns.

Submission of Tax Forms by Post

While online submission is encouraged, some may choose or need to submit their tax forms by post. Here’s what to consider:

  1. Obtaining Forms: Physical tax forms can be downloaded and printed from the HMRC website or requested by contacting HMRC directly.

  2. Completion: Complete your forms using black ink and BLOCK CAPITALS. This helps ensure that HMRC can process your forms without errors.

  3. Check and Recheck: Before sending your forms, double-check your figures and ensure all relevant sections are complete. An incomplete or incorrect form can delay the process and possibly lead to penalties.

  4. Proof of Posting: Always send your forms using a postal service that confirms delivery, such as Recorded Delivery. This will provide you with proof that you have met your obligation to submit by the deadline.

  5. Mailing Address: Make sure you are sending your forms to the correct HMRC address. This can differ based on the type of form and where in the UK you are located.

The Importance of Meeting Deadlines

Deadlines are non-negotiable in the world of taxes. Late submission can result in penalties, additional interest on any tax due, and increased stress. Crucial deadlines to note include:

  • Paper Returns: Must be submitted by midnight on 31 October following the end of the tax year.

  • Online Returns: Must be submitted by midnight on 31 January following the end of the tax year.

For those who are required to make Payments on Account – advance payments towards your tax bill – remember that the first payment is due by 31 January during the tax year and the second by 31 July following the end of the tax year.

Resources for Assistance

HMRC recognizes the complexity of tax affairs and provides numerous resources:

  • Self Assessment Helpline: For queries on completing your tax return or to get general advice.

  • Textphone Service: Available for those with hearing or speech impairments.

  • HMRC Offices: While most tasks can be handled online or over the phone, there are instances when visiting an HMRC office is necessary.

  • Online Help and Webchats: HMRC offers online help guides and live webchat support.

  • Agents and Accountants: Taxpayers may also engage the services of professional agents or accountants. They can help with preparing and submitting tax forms on your behalf. Ensure they are registered with HMRC.

Should you encounter difficulties or have specific questions related to the tax form submission process, it's advisable to seek help immediately rather than waiting until the deadline is near. Remember that HMRC provides extensive online guidance, and often, the answer to your question is just a click away on their comprehensive website.

Meeting the HMRC's requirements need not be daunting if you approach the task methodically and utilize the support available. Stay informed of any changes to tax legislation or submission processes by regularly checking official communications from the HMRC. This proactive approach will ensure compliance with tax laws and avoid unnecessary complications.

Amending Mistakes and Revising Past Tax Returns

Taxpayers are human and, like anyone else, they are prone to making mistakes. When it comes to filing tax returns with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC), it's important to correct any errors as soon as they're discovered. Amending a tax return can correct oversights such as under-reporting income, over-claiming expenses or allowances, or simply inputting incorrect information.

Deadlines for Amendments

The deadlines for amending tax returns are quite clear-cut:

  1. For online tax returns, you have until the 31st January after the end of the tax year to make any amendments. For example, for the 2023-2024 tax year, the amendment must be made by 31st January 2025.

  2. For paper tax returns, amendments must be made by the 31st October after the end of the tax year.

Should you miss these deadlines, it's still important to inform HMRC as soon as possible to limit any potential penalties.

The Amendment Process

For Online Returns:

  1. Log into your HMRC online account.

  2. Navigate to the 'Self Assessment' section and find the tax year you wish to amend.

  3. Make the necessary changes directly within the return. The online system allows for corrections on all sections of the form.

  4. Resubmit the tax return. HMRC will acknowledge receipt of your amended return.

For Paper Returns:

  1. If you submitted a paper return and wish to amend it, download a new tax return form for the relevant year from the HMRC website.

  2. Clearly write ‘Amendment’ on each page that contains changes.

  3. Correct the figures and include any additional information as necessary.

  4. Send the amended pages back to HMRC.

Informing HMRC of the Amendment

Whether the change is online or on paper, you should also write a note explaining why you are making the amendment. This can help avoid any misunderstanding and might mitigate any potential penalties. Remember, if you made the same error on more than one year's tax return, you must amend each one separately.

Penalties for Late Amendments

HMRC can issue penalties if you fail to notify them about an error that resulted in unpaid tax. The penalty amount depends on the reason for the error:

  • An error despite taking reasonable care: No penalty.

  • An error due to carelessness: Between 0% and 30% of the extra tax owing.

  • An error due to deliberate under-reporting: Between 20% and 70% of the extra tax owing.

  • An error due to deliberate under-reporting with concealment: Between 30% and 100% of the extra tax owing.

Promptly informing HMRC about the mistake can help lower the penalty. If you cooperate fully and help HMRC as much as possible (unprompted disclosure), penalties are likely to be at the lower end of the above ranges.

Paying Additional Tax and Interest

If an amendment results in additional tax being owed, it should be paid promptly. The date this additional tax must be paid by is typically 31 days after HMRC sends the taxpayer a new bill following the amendment. If the additional tax is not paid on time, HMRC may charge interest from the date the tax was originally due.

Sometimes, an amendment may result in a tax refund. In such cases, HMRC will provide details on how the refund will be processed.

Record Keeping after an Amendment

Keep records of the original return, the changes made, and any correspondence with HMRC. This includes any new calculations of your tax liability. Records should be kept for at least 22 months after the end of the tax year the tax return is for.

Special Considerations

There are some specific circumstances where you might need to make changes to your tax return that are not straight amendments. For example:

  • Claims for Overpayment Relief: If you believe you've paid too much tax but are outside the time limit for amending the return, you can make a claim for overpayment relief. This must be done within four years of the end of the tax year in question.

  • Discovery Assessments: If HMRC discovers that income has been under-assessed, they may issue a 'discovery assessment'. You have the right to appeal against such assessments within 30 days of the date on the assessment.

Adhering to tax laws and regulations is a crucial responsibility for UK taxpayers. Part of that responsibility includes rectifying any mistakes as soon as they're discovered. Understanding the process for amending a tax return is essential to maintaining compliance and avoiding unnecessary penalties. If you're unsure about the amendment process or require assistance, it’s wise to contact a professional tax advisor or HMRC directly. The UK tax authorities encourage honesty and transparency, and they are typically more lenient with those who come forward voluntarily to correct their mistakes.

How Can a Tax Accountant Help You Choose the Right Tax Form

How Can a Tax Accountant Help You Choose the Right Tax Form?

In the UK, navigating the complexities of tax obligations can be daunting. This is especially true when it comes to selecting the right tax form, which varies depending on personal circumstances and the nature of one’s income. A professional tax accountant plays a crucial role in guiding taxpayers through this maze, ensuring compliance while optimizing tax liability.

The Role of a Tax Accountant

Expert Guidance on Applicable Forms

A tax accountant possesses deep knowledge of the UK tax legislation and is adept at determining which tax forms are applicable to specific scenarios. This expertise is crucial for those who have multiple sources of income, run a business, or have made significant financial transactions within the fiscal year.

Ensuring Accuracy and Compliance

Tax accountants ensure that all data on the tax forms is accurate and compliant with current laws. They are familiar with the nuances of tax regulations, which allows them to provide advice tailored to the unique financial situation of each client, potentially saving significant amounts of money by leveraging tax allowances and deductions appropriately.

Strategic Tax Planning

Beyond form selection, tax accountants assist with strategic planning. This involves looking at one’s financial activities and structuring them in a way that is tax-efficient. Whether it’s advising on the timing of asset purchases or the withdrawal of company dividends, a tax accountant makes recommendations that align with both short-term and long-term financial goals.

Benefits of Consulting a Tax Accountant


Tax form selection and completion can be time-consuming. A tax accountant can handle these tasks swiftly and efficiently, allowing individuals and business owners to focus on other important activities.

Avoiding Penalties

Incorrect or late submissions can result in penalties. A tax accountant ensures that deadlines are met and that forms are filled out correctly, thus avoiding unnecessary fines.

Peace of Mind

Tax matters can cause significant stress, especially when large sums are involved or the tax situation is complex. Employing the services of a tax accountant provides reassurance that one’s tax affairs are in capable hands.

Case Studies

Case Study 1: Self-Employed Individual

John, a freelance graphic designer, was unsure about his tax obligations. His tax accountant helped him identify that he needed to complete a SA100 form due to his freelance income. The accountant also advised him on allowable expenses he could claim to reduce his tax liability.

Case Study 2: Small Business Owner

Sarah, who owns a small boutique, was confused about her VAT obligations. Her accountant determined that she needed to submit quarterly VAT Returns and guided her through registering for VAT. This ensured that she complied with VAT regulations and utilized the VAT Flat Rate Scheme, reducing her administrative burden.

Choosing the right tax form is just the beginning of tax management in the UK. A tax accountant provides invaluable assistance, ensuring compliance, optimizing financial strategy, and offering peace of mind. For anyone looking to navigate the complexities of tax returns effectively, consulting a professional tax accountant is a wise decision. Their expertise not only helps in selecting the right tax forms but also in broader financial planning and compliance, ensuring that one’s financial affairs are soundly managed and aligned with legal requirements.


Q1: How do I determine which tax form I need to use?

A: Identify the type of income you have (e.g., employment, self-employment, investments) and consult HMRC guidelines or a tax professional to select the appropriate form.

Q2: What is the main tax form for individuals in the UK?

A: The main form for individuals is the SA100, used for the Self-Assessment tax return.

Q3: Do I need to file a tax return if I am employed and have no other source of income?

A: Typically, if you are employed and do not have other sources of income, your taxes are handled by PAYE (Pay As You Earn), and you may not need to file a return unless HMRC requests one.

Q4: Which form should I use if I have income from abroad?

A: You would use the SA100 form, and you may need to fill out additional supplementary pages depending on the type of foreign income.

Q5: How do I know if I need to fill out a P11D form?

A: A P11D form is necessary if you’re an employer who has provided benefits or expenses that are not put through payroll to your employees.

Q6: What tax form should a freelancer in the UK use?

A: Freelancers should use the SA100 form to complete their Self-Assessment tax return.

Q7: Is there a specific form for reporting capital gains in the UK?

A: Yes, if you need to report capital gains, you would use the SA108 form, which is a part of the Self-Assessment return.

Q8: What form do I use for a VAT return?

A: Businesses registered for VAT need to complete VAT Returns using the VAT100 form.

Q9: Which tax form should a landlord use for rental income?

A: Landlords should use the SA105 form to report rental income on their Self-Assessment tax return.

Q10: When should I use the CT600 form?

A: The CT600 form is used by limited companies in the UK to file their Corporation Tax return.

Q11: Can I file my tax forms online?

A: Yes, most UK tax forms can be filed online via the HMRC website, which is faster and often easier than paper filing.

Q12: How do I know which supplementary pages I need to attach with my SA100 form?

A: Supplementary pages depend on specific types of income, such as foreign income (SA106) or capital gains (SA108). Review your sources of income to determine which pages you need.

Q13: What form do non-residents use for UK income?

A: Non-residents usually use the SA109 form to declare any UK income on their Self-Assessment tax return.

Q14: What tax form is used for trusts and estates?A: Trusts and estates should use form SA900 to file their tax returns.

Q15: How do I find the right form for declaring dividends received?

A: Dividends are declared on the SA100 Self-Assessment form, and you may need to fill out the SA105 section if they are from UK companies.

Q16: Are there any specific forms for non-profit organizations?

A: Non-profit organizations do not generally pay tax on most types of income, but they must complete form CT600 if they have any taxable income.

Q17: How often do tax forms need to be submitted?

A: Most personal tax forms are submitted annually. VAT Returns can be quarterly or annually, depending on the scheme used by the business.

Q18: What is the deadline for submitting Self-Assessment tax forms?

A: The deadline for submitting the SA100 form is January 31st following the end of the tax year.

Q19: Do I need to use a different form if I stopped working halfway through the year?A: No, you would still use the SA100 form for Self-Assessment but report only the income earned during that period of the tax year.

Q20: What form do I use if I'm self-employed and also employed?

A: You would use the SA100 form, completing both the employment (SA102) and self-employment (SA103) supplementary sections.

Q21: If I made a mistake on my tax form, which form do I need to correct it?A: You can amend mistakes by correcting the original form online through your HMRC account or by submitting a paper amendment if you filed by post.

Q22: Are there specific forms for capital allowances claims?

A: Capital allowances are claimed directly on the SA100 form for self-employed individuals or on the CT600 form for companies.

Q23: What should I use to declare interest from savings?

A: Interest from savings is declared on the SA100 form, specifically on the SA101 supplementary page if required.

Q24: Which form is used for inheritance tax?

A: Inheritance tax is reported using form IHT400.

Q25: How can I get help with choosing the right tax form?

A: You can consult HMRC’s website for guidance or hire a professional tax advisor for personalized assistance.

Q26: What if I have multiple businesses, which forms do I use?

A: You may need to file separate tax returns for each business, using the SA100 form with the SA103 section for each self-employed business.

Q27: Is there a penalty for using the wrong tax form?

A: Yes, using the wrong tax form can lead to incorrect tax calculations and potentially result in penalties and interest charges from HMRC.

Q28: Can I change the tax form once I have submitted it?

A: Once submitted, you cannot change the form but you can amend the details provided by filing a correction.

Q29: Which tax form is used for Employee Stock Options?

A: Employee Stock Options are generally declared on form SA102, and you might also need to use form SA101 to declare any gains.

Q30: What is the form for Gift Aid declarations?

A: Gift Aid declarations are typically handled by the charity you donate to, but you must declare any related tax relief on your SA100 form.

Q31: Do students have a different tax form?

A: Students typically do not have a specific tax form; they use the same forms as other taxpayers depending on their income sources.

Q32: What form do I use if I am an artist with income from both commissions and teaching?

A: You would use the SA100 form and may need to complete both the self-employment (SA103) and employment (SA102) sections if applicable.

Q33: Are there any forms specifically for high income earners?

A: High income earners use the same SA100 form but may need to fill additional sections if they have complex financial arrangements or foreign income.

Q34: How do I declare pension contributions on my tax form?

A: Pension contributions are declared on your SA100 form, and you can claim any tax relief associated with those contributions.

Q35: What tax forms are necessary for expatriates working in the UK?

A: Expatriates use the SA100 form along with any relevant supplementary pages depending on their income and residency status.

Q36: Are there specific forms for royalties received?

A: Royalties are reported on the SA100 form, and depending on the source, might also require the SA101 supplementary form.

Q37: What should I do if I haven’t received all my income statements before the tax return deadline?

A: You should estimate your income to the best of your ability and amend your tax return once you receive the actual figures.

Q38: How do I report income from a trust on my tax forms?

A: Income from a trust is reported on form SA100, and you may need to complete the SA107 section if you are a beneficiary of the trust.

Q39: What is the simplest way to figure out if I need to file a tax return?

A: Generally, if your income is taxed entirely at source (e.g., through PAYE) and you have no additional income or gains, you might not need to file a return. Otherwise, check HMRC’s criteria or consult a tax advisor.

Q40: Can I use any software to help choose the right tax form?

A: Yes, there are several tax software programs available that can guide you in selecting the right tax form based on the information you input about your income and deductions.


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page