top of page
  • Writer's picturePTA

What is an R43 Form?

Updated: Feb 3

Form R43 is used to claim the UK overpaid income tax and non-taxable personal deduction. Form R43 is a tax form used in the United Kingdom by individuals who wish to claim a repayment of overpaid tax on foreign income. This form is used when the taxpayer has received foreign income, such as rent from property overseas, that was taxed at a higher rate than it should have been.

You Should Only Complete R43 if:

● You are not a UK tax resident

● You are a private individual

● You do not complete a UK tax return

The need to complete R43 depends on the circumstances. The taxation of foreigners is complex. It is important to understand what you need to do to ensure that you only pay the taxes you owe.

To complete Form R43, individuals must provide their personal details, including their name, address, and National Insurance number. They must also provide information about the foreign income they received, including the amount, the tax year in which it was received, and the source of the income. In addition, individuals must explain why they believe the tax on their foreign income was calculated incorrectly and provide any supporting documentation that they have.

Once Form R43 has been completed and submitted, HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) will review the claim and determine whether a tax repayment is due. If HMRC agrees that a tax repayment is due, they will send a cheque or make a direct payment to the taxpayer's bank account. If HMRC disagrees with the claim, they will send a letter explaining why and what steps the taxpayer can take to challenge the decision.

It's important to note that Form R43 must be submitted within four years of the end of the tax year in which the foreign income was received. If the form is submitted after this deadline, HMRC may not be able to process the claim and the taxpayer may miss out on their tax repayment.

In addition, individuals must also ensure that they have paid the correct amount of tax on their foreign income in the country where the income was received. If the foreign country has a double taxation agreement with the UK, this means that the taxpayer will not have to pay tax on the same income in both countries. However, if there is no double taxation agreement in place, the taxpayer may have to pay tax on their foreign income in both the UK and the foreign country.

It's also important to remember that individuals who receive foreign income are still required to declare this income on their UK tax return. Failing to declare foreign income could result in penalties and interest charges.

What is an R43 Form?

R43 Form is For Tax Deduction

Double Taxation Treaty

Britain has "double taxation treaties" with a number of countries to help people avoid double taxation. If you live in one of these normal countries, you may be entitled to part or all of your UK income tax. This is especially true of bonuses, interest payments, and pensions.

Capital Gains Tax

This is the tax you pay on the income from the sale of the goods. You generally don't have to pay UK capital gains tax if you don't live here.

How to Fill Out the R43 Form Online

● Enter your official ID and contact details.

● If necessary, use a checkmark to indicate your preferences.

● Double-check all entry fields to ensure maximum accuracy.

● Press Done after filling in the blank.

● You can now print, download or share the form.

Benefits You Can Apply for as a Non-Resident

Life Insurance Premium Exemption

Only on policies purchased before March 13, 1984. This exemption can only be applied to the premium payer, regardless of who is indicated on the policy.

Supplement for the Blind Persons

This is usually not paid to blind or severely visually impaired people. If you think you are an exception, follow a procedure.

Supplement for Married Couples

This is only available for those born before April 5, 1935.

Personal Consent

As a non-resident, you are entitled to the same amount of personal allowance as a UK resident. There is a three-tier system based on the date of birth. Currently, they are:

- It was born before 6 April 1938, the highest rate of £ 10,660

- Born between April 6, 1938, and 1948, a premium rate of £ 10,500

- Born after April 5th 1948, base rate £ 10,000

What about Joint Income?

If you are in a civil partnership or marriage, you will be treated as a natural person for UK tax purposes. This means that they both have to fill their R43. All collective investments are held as collective investments, even if they are in the wrong owner.

What is an R43 Form?

Apply for the Same UK Tax Benefit Status as a UK Resident

To apply for the R43 form, at least one of the following criteria must be met during the fiscal year;

● Do you work for the British crown or are you the surviving spouse of a British crown employee? This also applies to cohabitants, widows, and widowers.

● Work on a corporate mission.

● Be a British citizen or citizen of a member state of the EEA (European Economic Area).

● Residents of the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands.

● You were based in the UK and moved overseas to improve your health or that of a family member.

● They are deployed in the service of any territory protected by His Majesty.

If you are a citizen living in a large list of countries, you must have a tax certificate from the tax authority in the country where you live. You must therefore declare that you are a "tax resident" there. You must also have proof of your citizenship.

The current countries are; Egypt, Argentina, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Gambia, India, Indonesia, Ivory Coast (Ivory Coast), Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Korea (Republic ), Lesotho, Malaysia, Montenegro, Morocco, New Zealand, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Russian Federation, Serbia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Thailand, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Uganda, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Vietnam or Zimbabwe.

HMRC can Change This List at Any Time

Again, there are some countries that require you as a resident to obtain a certificate from the tax authorities to prove that you are a resident "for tax purposes". The relevant countries are here; Austria, Barbados, Belgium, Burma, Fiji, Greece, Ireland, Kenya, Luxembourg, Mauritius, Namibia, the Netherlands, Portugal, Swaziland, Sweden or Zambia.

Form R43 is a tool for individuals in the UK who believe that they have been taxed on their foreign income at an incorrect rate. By completing the form and submitting it to HMRC, individuals can claim a repayment of overpaid tax if they are entitled to one. However, it's important to submit the form within the four-year deadline, to ensure that the correct amount of tax has been paid on the foreign income in the foreign country, and to declare the foreign income on their UK tax return to avoid penalties and interest charges.

bottom of page