top of page
  • Writer's picturePTA

How to Calculate UK Capital Gains Tax on Overseas Property 2024

Updated: May 9

The United Kingdom's tax laws are intricate and dynamic. This article will guide you on how to calculate the UK capital gains tax on overseas property as per the rules set in 2024. Please note, this is intended as a general guide and it is always recommended to seek advice from a tax professional for individual circumstances.

How to Calculate UK Capital Gains Tax on Overseas Property

Understanding Capital Gains Tax (CGT)

Capital Gains Tax (CGT) in the UK is a tax on the profit when you sell or dispose of an asset that has increased in value. It's the gain you make that's taxed, not the amount of money you receive.

The Scope of Capital Gains Tax on Overseas Property

As a UK resident, you are obliged to pay CGT on the disposal of assets worldwide. This includes any property owned overseas. Non-residents who sell a UK property may also have to pay CGT. The tax is calculated on the gain - the difference between the purchase price and the selling price, less any allowable expenses.

Determining Your Residential Status

Your tax liability in the UK can depend on your residential status. If you're considered a UK resident, you're liable to pay tax on your worldwide income, including any gains from the sale of overseas property. Non-residents are typically only liable for tax on income or gains made within the UK.

Calculating Capital Gains Tax

Step 1: Determine the Gain

To calculate the gain, subtract the original cost of the property from the sale price. This includes the price you paid for it, plus any costs associated with buying and selling (like legal fees and stamp duty), as well as the cost of improvements made to the property.

Step 2: Deduct the Annual Exempt Amount

Every individual has an annual tax-free allowance for capital gains, known as the Annual Exempt Amount. In 2024, this is £12,300. If your total taxable gains are less than this, you won't have to pay any CGT.

Step 3: Apply the Appropriate Tax Rate

The remaining gain is taxed at different rates depending on your income tax band and the type of asset. For 2024, the basic rate for property is 18%, while the higher rate is 24%.

Here are the updated UK Capital Gains Tax rates for overseas property, effective from April 6, 2024:

  • 10% and 20% for individuals (not including residential property gains and carried interest gains)

  • 18% and 24% for individuals for residential property gains

  • 18% and 24% for individuals for carried interest gains

  • 20% for trustees (not including residential property gains)

  • 24% for trustees for residential property gains

  • 20% for personal representatives of someone who has died (not including residential property gains and carried interest gains)

  • 24% for personal representatives of someone who has died for residential property gains

  • 24% for personal representatives of someone who has died for carried interest gains

  • 10% for gains qualifying for Business Asset Disposal Relief

Note that the rate for higher and additional rate taxpayers on residential property disposals has been reduced from 28% to 24%, effective from April 6, 2024.

Here's a simplified example:

Calculator to Calculate Capital Gains Tax on Overseas Property

Note: This example uses simplified logic and assumptions. Real-world CGT calculations might require more complex considerations, including allowances, deductions, and specific tax reliefs. Always consult a tax professional for accurate tax advice.

Reporting and Paying CGT

You must report and pay any CGT due to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) within 30 days of selling the property. You can do this through the UK Government's online CGT service.

What is the Capital Gains Tax Rate on Foreign Residential Property in the UK in 2024?

Annual Exempt Amount

One important consideration in calculating capital gains tax is the annual exempt amount (AEA). The AEA is a tax-free allowance given to those liable to Capital Gains Tax every tax year. For the tax year 2024 to 2025, the AEA is £6,000 for individuals, personal representatives and trustees for disabled people, and £3,000 for other trustees.

The AEA applies in most cases where an individual lives in the UK, to executors or personal representatives of a deceased person’s estate, and to trustees for disabled people. A lower AEA rate applies to most other trustees. If your overall gains for the tax year (after deducting any losses and applying for any reliefs) are above the AEA, you will need to pay Capital Gains Tax.

It should be noted, however, that non-residents who dispose of a UK residential property are also liable to Capital Gains Tax, and in most cases, can claim the AEA in the same way as UK residents. This AEA is not available to companies disposing of a UK residential property, as they may be able to claim other allowances.

Non-Domiciled in the UK

If you are non-domiciled in the UK and have claimed the remittance basis of taxation on your foreign income and gains, you will not receive the annual exempt amount. Being non-domiciled in the UK typically means that you were born in another country and intend to return there. The remittance basis is a way of being taxed on the foreign income and gains that you bring into the UK, rather than on all income and gains that arise.

Capital Gains Tax Rates in 2024

In 2024, the UK's Capital Gains Tax (CGT) rates for overseas property have been updated to align with domestic property taxation principles, reflecting the government's commitment to tax fairness and economic efficiency. These rates are specifically designed to ensure that individuals are taxed appropriately based on their income levels, with distinct rates applied for lower rate taxpayers and higher/additional rate taxpayers. Here's a breakdown of these rates:

Basic Rate Taxpayers

  • CGT Rate for Lower Rate Taxpayers: For individuals falling within the basic income tax band, the CGT rate on gains from overseas property is set at 10%. This rate is applicable to those whose total income and capital gains do not exceed the higher rate income tax threshold.

Higher Rate Taxpayers

  • CGT Rate for Higher Rate Taxpayers: Taxpayers who are subject to the higher rate of income tax face a CGT rate of 20% on gains from overseas property. However, when it comes to residential property, this rate increases to 24%. This is applicable to individuals whose total income and capital gains are above the basic rate band but below the threshold for additional rate tax.

Additional Rate Taxpayers

  • For those in the additional rate tax band, the CGT rate remains consistent with that for higher rate taxpayers. Gains from the sale of overseas property are taxed at 20%, with gains from residential property being taxed at 24%.

These rates are part of the UK's efforts to maintain a balanced and equitable tax system that reflects the global nature of real estate investment. It's important for taxpayers to be aware of these rates and how they apply to their specific situation, especially for those investing in property markets outside the UK. Tax planning and compliance become increasingly critical under these revised rates, ensuring that taxpayers can effectively manage their liabilities while adhering to the latest tax laws and regulations.

Special Considerations

It's important to remember that tax laws can change and depend on individual circumstances. Additionally, the rules for properties located in certain countries may vary due to double taxation agreements with the UK. Always consult with a tax advisor to ensure you are correctly calculating and reporting your capital gains tax.

In conclusion, understanding how to calculate the UK capital gains tax on overseas property can save you from any potential pitfalls and ensure that you are in compliance with the law. As with any financial matter, it's always advisable to seek professional advice when dealing with complex tax matters.

Annual Exempt Amount for UK Capital Gains Tax (CGT) on Overseas Property for the Tax Year 2024 to 2025

The Annual Exempt Amount (AEA) is a crucial figure for UK taxpayers, particularly those dealing with capital gains, including gains from the sale of overseas property. For the tax year 2024 to 2025, understanding the AEA can significantly impact how individuals plan their tax liabilities and investment strategies. The AEA represents the threshold below which an individual does not have to pay CGT on their capital gains. It is a tax-free allowance that resets annually, providing taxpayers with a window to realize gains without incurring a tax charge.

What is the Annual Exempt Amount?

The Annual Exempt Amount is essentially a tax-free allowance for capital gains. Each tax year, individuals can realize gains up to this amount without having to pay Capital Gains Tax. The AEA applies to the total of all chargeable assets disposed of during the year, including property, shares, and personal possessions worth £6,000 or more, apart from your car.

AEA for 2024 to 2025

For the tax year 2024 to 2025, the UK government periodically reviews and sets the AEA as part of its budgetary process. While the exact figure can vary from one tax year to the next, it's designed to adjust for inflation and economic conditions, among other factors. For the sake of this discussion, let's assume an AEA of £12,300, consistent with previous years. However, it's important to verify this figure as the government announces the rates for the upcoming tax year.

Implications for Overseas Property

For UK residents with overseas property, the AEA plays a pivotal role in tax planning. When selling an overseas property, the gain realized (the difference between the selling price and the purchase price, after adjusting for allowable expenses) is subject to CGT if it exceeds the AEA. It's worth noting that the AEA applies to the aggregate of all gains in the tax year, not per asset. Therefore, strategic disposal of assets can maximize the use of the AEA.

Utilizing the AEA Effectively

  1. Timing Disposals: Consider the timing of disposing of assets to spread gains across multiple tax years, ensuring the AEA is fully utilized each year.

  2. Joint Ownership: For jointly owned property, each owner is entitled to their own AEA, potentially doubling the allowance against gains on the property.

  3. Gifts and Transfers: Transferring assets between spouses or civil partners can be a tax-efficient way to utilize both individuals' AEAs.

The Annual Exempt Amount offers a valuable opportunity for individuals to manage their capital gains tax liabilities, especially concerning overseas property. Effective planning and understanding of the AEA can lead to significant tax savings. Always keep abreast of the latest tax rates and allowances as announced by the UK government, and consider consulting with a tax professional to optimize your tax position regarding overseas property disposals.

How to Avoid Capital Gains Tax in the UK on Foreign Property in 2024

Understanding Capital Gains Tax in the UK

Capital Gains Tax (CGT) is a tax on the profit when you sell or dispose of an asset that has increased in value. It's the gain you make that's taxed, not the amount of money you receive​. In the UK, there are different tax rates for individuals and trustees, and the rate you use depends on the total amount of your taxable income.

Annual Exempt Amount

For the tax year 2024 to 2025, the annual exempt amount for individuals is £6,000. This is the tax-free allowance you get every year. If your overall gains for the tax year (after deducting any losses and applying for any reliefs) are above this exempt amount, you'll need to pay Capital Gains Tax. However, if you're non-domiciled in the UK and have claimed the remittance basis of taxation on your foreign income and gains, you will not get this annual exempt amount.

Calculating Capital Gains Tax

To calculate CGT, you need to work out your taxable gains, which is the amount of money you've made from the asset after deducting any allowable losses. Then, you deduct the tax-free allowance from this total. The remaining amount would be subject to CGT. The percentage you're liable to pay depends on whether you're a basic or higher/additional rate taxpayer.

Avoiding Capital Gains Tax

There are ways to avoid or reduce the amount of Capital Gains Tax you might need to pay:

  • Hold onto your property longer: The amount of CGT you pay can depend on the length of time you've held the asset. The longer you've held it, the smaller the percentage of CGT will be.

  • Offset your gains with losses: If you have other assets that have made a loss, you can offset these losses against your gains to reduce the amount of CGT you need to pay​.

  • Claim reliefs: There are certain reliefs you might be able to claim, like Business Asset Disposal Relief or Private Residence Relief, which can reduce the amount of CGT you have to pay.

However, it's important to note that the rules around Capital Gains Tax are complex and might depend on your specific circumstances. Therefore, it's always a good idea to consult with a tax advisor or accountant for personalized advice.

Please note that the tax rules for foreign properties might be different, and I couldn't find specific information about how to avoid capital gains tax on foreign properties in the UK for 2024. For more precise and tailored information, I recommend contacting a tax professional who can provide advice based on your specific situation and recent tax law changes.

How Does HMRC Know About Foreign Property?

When you own property in a foreign country as a UK resident, you may wonder how HMRC (Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs) keeps track of your overseas assets. The question arises as the UK tax system operates on a "worldwide" basis for residents, meaning you may be liable for tax on foreign income. HMRC employs several methods to identify foreign properties owned by UK residents.

Automatic Exchange of Information

The Automatic Exchange of Information (AEOI) is a major tool in HMRC's arsenal. This international agreement allows tax authorities across the globe to share information about financial accounts and assets, including property. The Common Reporting Standard (CRS), for instance, involves over 100 countries and territories sharing data with each other. The UK, being part of this network, receives detailed information about foreign property owned by its residents.

Direct Reporting

Another way HMRC learns about foreign property is through direct reporting by the property owner. UK residents are legally required to disclose their foreign income and gains, which include those from property, on their self-assessment tax return. This direct line of communication provides HMRC with the necessary information regarding overseas assets. Failure to do so can result in penalties.

Public Records and Investigations

HMRC also uses public records and conducts its own investigations to identify foreign property owned by UK residents. This could include land registries, company records, and other databases that contain information about property ownership. If there are suspicions of tax evasion or undisclosed foreign income, HMRC can launch an investigation, which may include liaising with foreign tax authorities.

Collaboration with Estate Agents and Letting Agents

HMRC can also obtain information from estate agents and letting agents. The agents who deal with overseas property transactions involving UK residents are often required to keep detailed records, which can be requested by HMRC during their investigations.

To sum up, HMRC has several ways to know about foreign property owned by UK residents. Through international agreements, direct reporting by property owners, analysis of public records, investigations, and collaborations with estate and letting agents, they can keep track of overseas assets. As a result, it's crucial for UK residents to be transparent about their foreign property to avoid any potential penalties.

Which Countries Have Double Taxation Agreement With the UK?

Double taxation agreements (DTAs) are treaties between two or more countries to avoid or mitigate the effects of double taxation - the imposition of comparable taxes in two or more states on the same taxpayer in respect of the same subject matter. The UK, being a significant global economy, has established DTAs with numerous countries worldwide.

Comprehensive Double Taxation Agreements

The UK has comprehensive DTA with over 130 countries, some of which include:

  • The United States: The UK-US DTA covers a wide range of taxes, including income tax and capital gains tax, and includes provisions to prevent tax evasion.

  • Australia: The agreement between the UK and Australia helps residents of either country avoid being taxed twice on the same income.

  • Canada: This agreement covers many types of income, including business profits, dividends, interest, and royalties.

  • India: The UK-India DTA provides relief from double taxation on various types of income, including income from employment, property, and business activities.

  • France: The agreement with France ensures that residents are not taxed twice on income earned in either country and includes provisions to prevent tax evasion.

Limited Double Taxation Agreements

In addition to comprehensive DTAs, the UK also has limited DTAs with some countries. These agreements typically cover only certain types of income or specific categories of individuals. Countries with limited DTAs with the UK include:

  • The Isle of Man: This agreement covers income tax and capital gains tax.

  • Guernsey: The DTA with Guernsey covers income tax and the taxation of corporations.

  • Jersey: The UK-Jersey agreement pertains mainly to income tax.

The UK's wide network of double taxation agreements with countries around the globe plays a crucial role in promoting international trade and investment by reducing tax impediments. It's worth noting that the specific provisions of each agreement can vary considerably, reflecting the unique relationship between the UK and each treaty partner. Therefore, taxpayers with international activities are strongly advised to seek professional advice to understand the implications of these agreements on their tax obligations.

How to Report Capital Gains Tax on Overseas Property UK

Reporting Capital Gains Tax (CGT) on overseas property to HMRC in the UK can seem like a daunting process. However, understanding which forms to use can make the process more manageable.

Self-Assessment Tax Return

The primary form for reporting CGT on overseas property in the UK is the Self-Assessment tax return. This comprehensive tax return allows you to report your income and gains for a tax year.

  • SA100: This is the main tax return form. In this form, you provide your personal details and overall income and gains.

  • SA108: This is the Capital Gains Summary form. Here, you report the details of your capital gains or losses, including those from the sale of overseas property.

When filling out the SA108, you'll need to include information about the property, such as the date you acquired and sold the property, the amounts you received and paid, and any reliefs you're claiming.

Non-Resident Capital Gains Tax Return

If you're a non-resident and you've sold a residential property in the UK, you need to report it to HMRC, whether you have to pay tax or not. This is done through a Non-Resident Capital Gains Tax return.

  • NRCGT return: Non-residents who dispose of a UK residential property should use this form. However, if you're registered for Self Assessment, you can report it on your SA100 and SA108 forms instead.

Recent Updates

In the realm of UK taxation, the landscape for capital gains tax (CGT) on overseas property has seen significant updates in 2024. These changes not only affect UK residents but also non-UK residents with property interests outside the country. As the UK continues to adapt its tax policies to align with global standards and ensure fairness in taxation of property gains, understanding these updates is crucial for taxpayers and investors alike.

Understanding Capital Gains Tax (CGT)

Capital Gains Tax is levied on the profit or gain made when you sell (or dispose of) an asset that has increased in value. It's the gain you make that's taxed, not the amount of money you receive. For UK residents, this includes worldwide assets, such as property located abroad.

The UK Capital Gains Tax (CGT) on overseas property updates for 2024 have introduced significant changes to the tax calculations on overseas property disposals. The key updates include:

  1. Reduced CGT rate: The CGT rate on residential property disposals has been reduced from 28% to 24% for higher and additional rate taxpayers.

  2. Extended reporting deadline: UK residents now have 60 days (previously 30 days) to report and pay CGT on overseas property disposals.

  3. Increased annual exemption: The annual CGT exemption has increased from £12,000 to £12,300 for individuals and from £6,000 to £6,150 for trustees.

  4. Revised calculations for non-residents: Non-residents are now taxed at 20% (previously 10% or 20%) on gains from UK land and property.

  5. Changes to Private Residence Relief: The final period exemption has been reduced from 18 months to 9 months, and the lettings relief has been reformed.

The impact of these updates on UK CGT calculations on overseas property is significant:

  • Reduced tax liability: The decreased CGT rate on residential property disposals results in lower tax liabilities for higher and additional rate taxpayers.

  • Increased reporting time: The extended deadline provides more time for individuals to report and pay CGT, reducing the risk of penalties.

  • Higher annual exemption: The increased exemption amount means individuals and trustees can make more tax-free gains.

  • Increased tax burden for non-residents: The revised tax rate for non-residents may lead to higher tax liabilities.

  • Changes to relief claims: The reforms to Private Residence Relief may affect the amount of relief available, requiring revised calculations.

Overall, the 2024 updates have introduced both tax reductions and increases, depending on individual circumstances. It is crucial for individuals and trustees to understand these changes to accurately calculate and report their CGT liabilities on overseas property disposals. Consulting a tax professional or financial advisor is recommended to ensure compliance with the updated regulations.

The updates to the UK's approach to taxing capital gains on overseas property reflect a broader effort to modernize the tax system, ensuring it is equitable and reflective of the global nature of property investment. By understanding these changes and planning accordingly, taxpayers can navigate the complexities of CGT more effectively, ensuring compliance and optimizing their tax positions.

How Can a Tax Accountant Help You With UK Capital Gains Tax on Overseas Property

How Can a Tax Accountant Help You With UK Capital Gains Tax on Overseas Property?

Navigating through the complexities of UK Capital Gains Tax (CGT) on overseas property can be challenging. A tax accountant, such as Pro Tax Accountant, can provide valuable assistance, ensuring you meet all your tax obligations while taking advantage of any tax relief you may be entitled to.

Understanding Capital Gains Tax on Overseas Property

Understanding the nuances of CGT on the foreign property is the first area where Pro Tax Accountant can help. They can explain how the tax works, the rates that apply, and the specific situations when you need to pay it. For instance, if you're a UK resident and sell a property abroad, you may need to pay CGT on the gains you've made.

Navigating Double Taxation Agreements

The UK has double taxation agreements with many countries to ensure you don't get taxed twice on the same income. Pro Tax Accountant can help interpret these agreements and apply them to your situation, potentially saving you from paying unnecessary taxes.

Calculating Taxable Gains

Pro Tax Accountant can help you calculate your taxable gains accurately. This involves determining the property's acquisition and disposal costs, factoring in reliefs and exemptions, and accounting for exchange rate changes. All these factors can significantly impact the amount of tax you owe.

Claiming Tax Reliefs

You may be eligible for various tax reliefs that can reduce your CGT bill. Pro Tax Accountant can help identify these reliefs, which may include Private Residence Relief if the property was your main home or Letting Relief if you let out part or all of your property.

Completing and Filing Your Tax Return

The process of reporting and paying CGT on overseas property in the UK involves completing a Self Assessment tax return. Pro Tax Accountant can assist with this process, ensuring that your tax return is accurate and filed on time to avoid penalties.

Ongoing Tax Planning

Lastly, Pro Tax Accountant can provide ongoing tax planning advice. This could involve timing your property disposal to minimise tax liability or structuring your assets efficiently for tax purposes.

In summary, a tax accountant like Pro Tax Accountant can provide invaluable assistance when dealing with UK Capital Gains Tax on overseas property. Their expertise can help you navigate the complex tax landscape, potentially saving you time and money while ensuring you remain compliant with your tax obligations.


1. Q: How does the UK Capital Gains Tax for overseas property affect dual residents?

A: Dual residents are subject to UK CGT on worldwide assets, including overseas property, but may benefit from Double Taxation Agreements (DTAs) to avoid being taxed twice.

2. Q: Can I offset losses from one overseas property against gains from another when calculating CGT?

A: Yes, losses from the disposal of one overseas property can be offset against gains from another in the same tax year.

3. Q: Are there any specific exclusions or reliefs for CGT on inherited overseas property?

A: Inherited property is usually acquired at the market value as of the date of inheritance, potentially reducing the gain and CGT when sold.

4. Q: How do currency fluctuations affect CGT calculations for overseas property?

A: Currency fluctuations can significantly affect the gain or loss calculated on the disposal of overseas property, as the purchase and sale prices must be converted to GBP for CGT calculations.

5. Q: What documentation is needed to report CGT on overseas property?

A: Documentation includes purchase and sale agreements, proof of expenses, and records of currency exchange rates used for transactions.

6. Q: How does the remittance basis of taxation affect CGT for non-domiciled UK residents?

A: Non-domiciled residents opting for the remittance basis may only be liable for CGT on gains brought into the UK, but they lose the annual exempt amount.

7. Q: Are renovations and improvements to the overseas property deductible from CGT?

A: Yes, the cost of renovations and improvements that add value to the property can be deducted from the gain, provided they are not expenses of a revenue nature.

8. Q: Is there a special CGT rate for selling overseas commercial property?

A: The CGT rates apply universally to assets, but the type of asset can affect reliefs and exemptions available.

9. Q: Can overseas property held in a trust be subject to CGT?

A: Yes, gains from the disposal of overseas property held in a trust can be subject to CGT, with specific rules applying to trustees and beneficiaries.

10. Q: How do I claim relief under a Double Taxation Agreement for CGT paid on overseas property?

A: To claim relief, you must declare the foreign tax paid on your UK tax return, and the relief is usually given as a credit against the UK tax due on the same gain.

11. Q: What happens if I sell overseas property at a loss?

A: A loss can be carried forward to offset against future capital gains, but it cannot be used to create a tax refund.

12. Q: Are there any time limits for reporting a CGT loss on overseas property?

A: Yes, losses must be reported within four years from the end of the tax year in which the loss occurred.

13. Q: How is CGT calculated if I own the overseas property with someone else?

A: Each owner calculates CGT based on their ownership percentage, taking into account their individual gains and losses.

14. Q: What is the impact of changing my residency status on CGT for overseas property?

A: Changing residency can affect your CGT liability, especially if you move to or from the UK, potentially invoking temporary non-residence rules.

15. Q: Can I use Private Residence Relief (PRR) for an overseas property?

A: PRR may apply if the overseas property qualifies as your main residence at some point during ownership.

16. Q: What are the consequences of not reporting CGT on overseas property?

A: Failure to report can lead to penalties, interest on unpaid tax, and potential investigation by HMRC.

17. Q: How does letting out my overseas property affect CGT?

A: Letting out your property can affect the reliefs available, such as Letting Relief, but this depends on your and the property's eligibility.

18. Q: Are there any CGT exemptions for selling property abroad after a divorce?

A: CGT implications for property sold after a divorce may vary, especially if transferring between spouses. Transfers between spouses or civil partners living together during the year of separation are usually on a no-gain-no-loss basis, affecting CGT when eventually sold.

19. Q: How does gifting overseas property affect CGT?

A: Gifting property may still trigger CGT, as it's considered a disposal. The market value is used to calculate the gain or loss, but exemptions or reliefs like Gift Hold-Over Relief may apply.

20. Q: Can overseas property be rolled over for CGT purposes?

A: Rollover Relief may apply if you reinvest the proceeds from the sale of business assets, including certain overseas properties, into new assets, deferring the CGT liability.


bottom of page