top of page
  • Writer's picturePTA

What is CF83 Form?

Updated: Dec 29, 2023

The CF83 form is a form provided by HMRC that is used to request a Certificate of Residence for individuals. The Certificate of Residence is a document that confirms an individual's residency status in the UK for tax purposes. The Certificate of Residence is often required by foreign tax authorities when an individual has income or assets in the UK.

In other words, the form that you can use to pay the voluntary national insurance contributions of Class 2 and Class 3 (NICs) while working in another country is called the CF83 Form. The CF83 form is a vital document for UK nationals residing abroad, particularly concerning their National Insurance contributions. This form plays a key role in managing financial responsibilities and entitlements tied to the UK's social security system, including the State Pension. Understanding the CF83 form is crucial for UK expatriates and non-residents to ensure they remain compliant with UK regulations and secure their future financial benefits.

What is CF83 Form?

Who Needs to Fill Out the CF83 Form?

The CF83 form is used by individuals who need to obtain a Certificate of Residence for tax purposes. This may include individuals who are residents in the UK but have income or assets overseas or individuals who are residents overseas but have income or assets in the UK.

Purpose of CF83 Form

The primary function of the CF83 form is to facilitate the payment of voluntary National Insurance contributions by individuals living outside the UK. This process is essential for those who wish to maintain or qualify for certain UK benefits, including the State Pension and bereavement benefits, regardless of whether they plan to return to the UK or continue living abroad​​​​.

Voluntary National Insurance Contributions

National Insurance contributions are a critical element of the UK's social security system, funding various benefits such as the State Pension. By voluntarily paying National Insurance contributions through the CF83 form, expatriates and non-residents can safeguard their entitlement to these benefits. The form enables payment of both Class 2 and Class 3 voluntary National Insurance contributions, catering to different employment statuses and income levels​​.

CF83 Form and State Pension

The UK government has extended the deadline for securing a complete State Pension, highlighting the form's significance in this process. Completing the CF83 form allows Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to update their records with the correct rates for individuals seeking to repay past years' contributions. This extension demonstrates the government's commitment to ensuring UK citizens abroad have fair access to pension benefits.

Eligibility and Deadlines

Understanding the eligibility criteria and deadlines for submitting the CF83 form is crucial. The deadline for paying voluntary National Insurance contributions for specific tax years has been extended, offering a wider window for individuals to make these important payments. This extension provides an opportunity for those who may have previously missed the chance to contribute, ensuring they can still benefit from the UK's social security system​​.

Practical Steps for Using CF83 Form

  1. Acquire the Form: The CF83 form can be found at the end of leaflet NI38, available on the UK government's official website. This leaflet provides detailed guidance on social security for those living abroad, making it an essential resource for understanding the context and implications of using the CF83 form.

  2. Complete the Form: Carefully filling in the CF83 form is the first step in the process. It's important to provide accurate and complete information to avoid any delays or issues in processing the form.

  3. Attach Necessary Documentation: If you are looking to repay past years' contributions, it's advisable to attach a cover letter to the form, clearly stating which years you are addressing. This clarity will help HMRC process your application more efficiently.

  4. Submission: Once completed, the form should be sent back to HMRC using the address provided on the form. Timely submission is crucial to meet any relevant deadlines and ensure your contributions are recorded correctly.

Key Takeaways

  • The CF83 form is essential for UK nationals living abroad who wish to maintain their eligibility for certain UK benefits.

  • It facilitates the payment of voluntary National Insurance contributions, crucial for entitlements such as the State Pension.

  • The UK government provides resources and guidance, including leaflet NI38, to assist individuals in understanding and completing the CF83 form.

  • Meeting deadlines and providing accurate information is critical to ensure the smooth processing of the form.

Applying and Submitting the CF83 Form

We'll now guide UK taxpayers, especially those living abroad, through the process of applying for and submitting the CF83 form. This form is essential for maintaining eligibility for UK social security benefits, including the State Pension, by paying voluntary National Insurance contributions while outside the UK.

Obtaining the CF83 Form

The CF83 form is included in leaflet NI38, which provides comprehensive guidance on social security for UK nationals abroad. This leaflet and the form can be accessed directly from the UK government's official website. It's crucial to ensure you are using the most current version of the form for accuracy and compliance​​​.

How to Fill Out the CF83 Form

The CF83 form is a simple form that can be completed online or on a paper form. The form contains several sections that must be completed, including:

  1. Personal Information - This section requires the individual's personal information, including their name, address, and National Insurance number.

  2. Contact Information - This section requires the individual's contact information, including their telephone number and email address.

  3. Residency Information - This section requires information about the individual's residency status, including the date they arrived in the UK, their residency status for tax purposes, and any relevant dates.

  4. Supporting Information - This section allows the individual to provide any supporting information that may be relevant to their request for a Certificate of Residence.

  5. Declaration - This section requires the individual to sign and date the form, confirming that the information provided is true and accurate.

How to Complete Form CF83 - A Step by Step Guide

Section 1: About You

  1. Your Full Name: Include your title (Mr, Mrs, Miss, Ms) and full name as per legal documents.

  2. Date of Birth: Enter your birth date in the DD MM YYYY format.

  3. Your UK Address: Provide your full UK address including postcode.

  4. Marital Status: Indicate if you have a husband, wife, or civil partner. If 'Yes', provide the date of marriage or civil partnership formation.

  5. Change of Name: If you changed your name upon marriage or civil partnership, mark 'Yes' and provide your former name.

  6. Divorced, Widowed, or Surviving Civil Partner: If applicable, mark 'Yes' and specify the date of the event.

  7. National Insurance Number: Enter your National Insurance number accurately.

Section 2: About Your Absence Abroad

  1. Country You're Going To: Name the country you will be residing in.

  2. Address Abroad: Provide your full address in the country you're moving to.

  3. Preferred Contact Address: Choose between 'UK' or 'Abroad' for correspondence purposes.

  4. Date of Leaving the UK: State the date you left or will leave the UK in DD MM YYYY format.

  5. Duration of Stay Abroad: Indicate the intended duration of your stay outside the UK.

  6. Ordinary UK Residence: Confirm if you are ordinarily resident in the UK. It's recommended to read the relevant section in leaflet NI38 before answering.

Section 3: Employment

  1. Employment Status Prior to Leaving UK: Choose between 'employed', 'self-employed', 'unemployed', or 'not employed', and proceed to the relevant questions.

  • If employed: Provide the date of your last National Insurance contribution and your employer’s address.

  • If self-employed: State the end date of your self-employment.

  • If unemployed: Indicate when you last claimed Jobseeker’s Allowance.

  • If not employed: Specific instructions will follow.

Section 4: Application to Pay Voluntary Contributions

  1. Type of Voluntary Contributions: Choose between Class 2, Class 3, or Voluntary Development Worker Class 2.

  2. Payment Method: Select your preferred payment method – Direct Debit, Six monthly Direct Debit (not available for Class 3), Annual payment, or via an Agent.

  3. Employment/Self-Employment Abroad: State if you will be working for an employer, self-employed, or employed by an overseas government or international organisation. Provide relevant dates, addresses, and contract details.

  4. Payment of Current Tax Year Arrears: If paying by Direct Debit, decide how to pay any arrears for the current tax year – either via Direct Debit or Sterling cheque.

Section 5: Shortfall of National Insurance Contributions

  • Information on Shortfalls: Indicate if you want to know about any shortfall in your National Insurance contributions that you can pay.

Section 6: Declaration

  • Declaration: Confirm that the information provided is true and accurate. Sign, date, and provide your daytime phone number.

Section 7: Volunteer Development Workers

  • Salary or Wage Details: If you're a Volunteer Development Worker, state your salary or wage, including any cash allowances from your employer.

Final Steps

  • Direct Debit Instructions: Complete the Direct Debit form on the first page, ensuring your National Insurance number is included under 'Reference'.

  • Return Address: Send the completed form to HM Revenue and Customs, PT Operations North East England, BX9 1AN, United Kingdom. Volunteer Development workers should follow specific instructions on leaflet NI38 page 15​​.

Suggested Answers for Common Questions

  • For marital status and name change questions, provide accurate personal history.

  • On employment status, answer truthfully based on your situation immediately before leaving the UK.

  • When choosing voluntary contribution classes, consider your employment status and future benefit needs. Class 2 is typically for self-employed individuals, while Class 3 is for filling gaps in your National Insurance record.

  • For the payment method, Direct Debit is convenient for regular payments, while annual payments or using an agent might suit those with variable income or who prefer third-party handling.

  • Ensure all details about employment or self-employment abroad are current and accurate to avoid any discrepancies in your National Insurance record.

Attaching Necessary Documentation

If you are repaying past years' contributions, it's advisable to attach a cover letter to your CF83 form. This letter should include details of the years you wish to pay, your residence history, and a request for confirmation of the rates applicable to those years. HMRC will then provide confirmation and reminders for future contributions.

Submitting the CF83 Form

Once the CF83 form has been completed, it can be submitted to HMRC either online or by post. If submitting the form online, the individual will receive a confirmation that the form has been submitted. If submitting the form by post, the individual should ensure that they have included all the required information and that the form is signed and dated before mailing it to HMRC.

The address for submission is provided on the form. It is essential to send the form within the specified deadlines to ensure your contributions are processed and recorded correctly. The deadline for voluntary National Insurance contributions for certain tax years has been extended to April 2025, providing a broader window for making these payments​.

What are National Insurance Contributions (NICS)?

Your NICs contribute to that pot allocated to state pensions and a few Social Security benefits. The amount of the state pension, as well as bereavement and disability benefits as well as certain social security benefits, is contingent on the amount you've paid during your career. There are six different types of NICs and your type of employment determines the amount you have to pay.

National Insurance If you Travel Abroad

It is possible for UK National Insurance while you work abroad, based on the location you work and how long. You'll ensure your State Pension as well as the right to other allowances and benefits if you continue to pay National Insurance while you are away.

Working within the EEA

If you're employed in a country that is part of the EU or EEA or Switzerland the requirements to do it are based on the circumstances.

If You Work for an Employer in the EEA

The norm is that you contribute to social security for your EEA the country that you work in, rather than National Insurance. This is the case for:

you'll be covered by the social security laws of that country and could be eligible for benefits in the country.

the benefits you are entitled to in the UK (for example, the State Pension) could be affected since there could be gaps in your National Insurance contributions

There is a chance that you can still get low or free medical care within the nation if you are employed.

You may be Entitled to Some Kind of National Insurance Reimbursement

If you're a worker outside of the UK and you pay Class 1 NICs, then you might be entitled to an insurance rebate for national coverage. Find out more information about this in our guide on Form the CA307 request for national insurance.

Why Should I Choose a Payment of NICs Within the UK Even Though I don't Reside There?

Many people opt to continue paying NICs while working overseas to secure their entitlement to the full state pension, Social Security, and Bereavement advantages.

Do these Rules Apply to Every UK Taxpayer Working in other Countries?

It depends on the length of time your job abroad, the country you're moving to, and the kind of work you are employed in. There are different regulations for those who are in the Armed Services and their families when they are stationed abroad, mariners, and civil aviation crews.

If you plan to work on the Isle of Man or Northern Ireland or Northern Ireland, the social security payments are connected and you do not have to sign up to contribute on your own. Also, if you're moving to a nation that has a social safety agreement in place with the UK or a European Economic Area country.

What Kind of NICs Must I Pay for?

The first two weeks you work abroad then you are required to make payments for Class I NICs if you were already a UK resident prior to the day the time you began your work abroad or you are deemed to be a 'normal resident in the UK or if the employer has office space in Britain. If you choose to contribute your money in a voluntary manner you are able to pay Class 2 or Class 3 NICs.

Understanding National Insurance Classes and Their Impact

Overview of National Insurance Classes

Understanding the various classes of National Insurance (NI) contributions is essential for UK taxpayers, especially those using the CF83 form to maintain their eligibility for UK benefits while living abroad. The class of NI contribution an individual makes depends largely on their employment status and income level.

Class 1 National Insurance

  • Who Pays: This class is for employees under the State Pension age earning more than £242 a week from one job. These contributions are automatically deducted by employers.

  • Rates: The rates vary based on the employee’s earnings and National Insurance category letter. For instance, category A earners pay nothing on the first £242, 12% on earnings between £242.01 and £967, and 2% on earnings above £967 weekly.

Class 1A and 1B National Insurance

  • Who Pays: These classes are paid by employers directly on their employees' expenses or benefits.

  • Rates: The rate for expenses and benefits is 13.8% from 6 April 2023 to 5 April 2024. Employers also pay Class 1A on some lump sum payments, such as redundancy payments.

Class 2 National Insurance

  • Who Pays: This class is for self-employed individuals earning profits of £12,570 or more a year.

  • Purpose: This class is particularly relevant for self-employed individuals who need to maintain their National Insurance record for future benefit entitlements.

Class 3 National Insurance (Voluntary Contributions)

  • Who Pays: Voluntary contributions can be made by anyone looking to fill or avoid gaps in their National Insurance record.

  • Relevance to CF83 Form: This class is especially significant for UK expatriates using the CF83 form. By making Class 3 contributions, they can maintain their NI record, ensuring eligibility for the State Pension and other benefits.

Class 4 National Insurance

  • Who Pays: This class applies to self-employed individuals earning profits of £12,570 or more a year.

  • Difference from Class 2: While similar to Class 2, Class 4 contributions are calculated differently and also play a part in maintaining a complete NI record for self-employed individuals.

Impact of National Insurance Contributions on UK Benefits

The contributions made to these different classes of National Insurance have a direct impact on an individual's entitlement to various UK social security benefits. Here's how:

  • State Pension: The State Pension is significantly affected by NI contributions. To qualify for the full State Pension, an individual must have a certain number of qualifying years on their NI record. Paying Class 2 or Class 3 NI contributions, especially through the CF83 form for those abroad, helps maintain this record.

  • Other Benefits: National Insurance contributions also affect eligibility for other benefits like Jobseeker's Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance, and Maternity Allowance. Each of these benefits has specific NI contribution criteria that must be met for eligibility.

Practical Implications for UK Expatriates

For UK nationals living abroad, the understanding of NI contribution classes and their practical implications is crucial. By correctly using the CF83 form to make voluntary Class 3 contributions, they can safeguard their entitlement to UK benefits. It's essential to:

  1. Determine Eligibility: Assess whether making voluntary contributions is beneficial based on your current NI record and future benefit needs.

  2. Understand the Rates: Familiarize yourself with the contribution rates and categories that apply to your situation.

  3. Timely Submission: Ensure that the CF83 form, along with any necessary documentation, is submitted to HMRC within the stipulated deadlines.

Understanding the different classes of National Insurance contributions and their impact on UK benefits is vital, especially for UK expatriates and non-residents. The CF83 form serves as a key tool in this process, enabling individuals living abroad to maintain their NI record and ensure eligibility for future benefits. In the final part of this article, we will explore the process of applying and submitting the CF83 form, providing a step-by-step guide for UK taxpayers seeking to navigate this essential aspect of their financial responsibilities while living abroad. Stay tuned for detailed insights and practical tips on effectively using the CF83 form.

How Do I Apply?

Form CF83 is used to apply for either class 2 or 3. You'll need your employment and financial records. Use this HMRC National insurance voluntary page to help you find the right form to fill out.

Great to Know

We hope this short overview will clarify your position on the obligation to pay non-required National Insurance contributions when you reside and work in a country other than the UK. The complete regulations contain more details and cover each job-related eventuality. At "PTA", we are experts in aiding UK non-residents, and ex-pats with UK tax problems as well as others who have quit UK tax issues.

CF83 form is an important form that is used to request a Certificate of Residence for individuals. The Certificate of Residence is often required by foreign tax authorities when an individual has income or assets in the UK. The CF83 form is a simple form that can be completed online or on paper form, and it requires information about the individual's residency status and personal information. By completing the CF83 form accurately and submitting it to HMRC, individuals can obtain a Certificate of Residence and comply with foreign tax requirements.

How a Tax Accountant Can Help You with Filling Up a CF83 Form & Getting the Certificate of Residence

How a Tax Accountant Can Help You with Filling Up a CF83 Form & Getting the Certificate of Residence

Engaging a tax accountant for assistance with the CF83 form and obtaining a Certificate of Residence in the UK can be invaluable, especially for individuals living or working abroad. Here's how a tax accountant can provide crucial support:

Expert Guidance on Eligibility and Requirements

Tax accountants possess in-depth knowledge of the eligibility criteria for submitting a CF83 form. They can assess your situation to determine if you need to file this form based on your residency status and income sources. This expertise ensures that you meet all requirements for obtaining a Certificate of Residence, avoiding any missteps that could lead to non-compliance or missed benefits.

Navigating Complex Tax Laws

Tax laws, especially those relating to international residency and income, are complex and frequently changing. A tax accountant stays updated on these laws, providing you with current and accurate advice. This is crucial when filling out the CF83 form, as it involves understanding the interplay between UK tax laws and international taxation principles.

Assistance with Documentation

The CF83 form requires detailed personal and financial information. A tax accountant can help compile and verify all necessary documentation, ensuring accuracy and completeness. They can also guide you in attaching additional documentation, such as a cover letter for past contributions, streamlining the process.

Maximizing Benefits

Tax accountants can advise on the best way to utilize the CF83 form to maximize your entitlements, such as the State Pension or other UK benefits. They can calculate the optimal amount and type of voluntary National Insurance contributions to make, based on your long-term financial goals and residency plans.

Time-Saving and Convenience

Filling out government forms can be time-consuming and confusing. A tax accountant can take care of the entire process, from obtaining the form to submitting it to HMRC. This not only saves you time but also ensures that the form is filled out correctly and submitted within the deadlines.

Representation and Liaison with HMRC

If there are any queries or issues raised by HMRC regarding your CF83 submission, a tax accountant can act as your representative. They can handle communications and negotiations, providing a buffer between you and the tax authorities. This is particularly useful for individuals who are not currently residing in the UK.

Clarifying Residency Status

Determining your residency status for tax purposes can be complex, especially if you have lived or worked in multiple countries. A tax accountant can evaluate your situation to establish your residency status, which is crucial for obtaining the Certificate of Residence. This certificate is often required by foreign tax authorities and can affect your tax liabilities.

Avoiding Penalties and Ensuring Compliance

Incorrectly filling out the CF83 form or failing to comply with the regulations can lead to penalties or issues with your National Insurance record. A tax accountant ensures that your submission complies with the latest tax laws and regulations, minimizing the risk of penalties.

Ongoing Support and Advice

A tax accountant can provide ongoing support and advice, especially if your circumstances change. Whether it's a change in income, employment status, or residency, they can guide you on how these changes impact your CF83 form and Certificate of Residence.

Simplifying International Tax Matters

For individuals with international employment or assets, a tax accountant can provide comprehensive advice, including how to handle foreign income and assets in conjunction with UK tax obligations. This holistic approach ensures that all aspects of your financial life are considered when dealing with UK tax matters.

In conclusion, a tax accountant plays a crucial role in helping individuals navigate the complexities of the CF83 form and obtaining a Certificate of Residence in the UK. Their expertise, guidance, and support can make a significant difference in ensuring compliance, maximizing benefits, and simplifying the process for those living or

20 Most Important FAQs

Q1: Can I submit the CF83 form online?

A: The CF83 form is primarily designed for physical submission. However, you can access the form online, print it, fill it out, and then mail it to the HMRC.

Q2: Is CF83 applicable to UK residents working temporarily abroad?

A: Yes, it applies to UK residents who are temporarily working abroad and wish to maintain their National Insurance contributions.

Q3: How long does it take to process the CF83 form?

A: The processing time can vary, but it generally takes several weeks. It's advisable to submit the form well before any deadlines.

Q4: Can I pay Class 1 NICs using the CF83 form?

A: No, the CF83 form is specifically for voluntary Class 2 and Class 3 National Insurance contributions.

Q5: Does submitting the CF83 form guarantee State Pension eligibility?

A: While it helps in maintaining NI contributions, eligibility for State Pension depends on the total number of qualifying years on your NI record.

Q6: Can I retract my CF83 form submission?

A: Once submitted, it's challenging to retract the form. It's important to be sure before submitting.

Q7: Are there penalties for late submission of CF83?

A: While there aren't direct penalties, late submission can impact the continuity of your NI contributions and future benefits.

Q8: If I'm self-employed abroad, do I still need to fill out the CF83?

A: Yes, if you wish to continue making voluntary NI contributions while abroad.

Q9: What should I do if my circumstances change after submitting CF83?

A: You should inform HMRC of any significant changes in your circumstances as soon as possible.

Q10: Can I make back payments for missed NI contributions using CF83?

A: Yes, you can use CF83 to make back payments for certain tax years.

Q11: How will I know if my CF83 form has been successfully processed?

A: HMRC typically sends a confirmation once the form is processed. Keep track of your submission.

Q12: Is it mandatory to have a UK address to use the CF83 form?

A: No, but you need to provide a contact address, which can be abroad.

Q13: Can I pay for both Class 2 and Class 3 NICs using one CF83 form?

A: Yes, you can select to pay either or both types of NICs on the same form.

Q14: What if I make an error on the CF83 form?

A: If you realize an error after submission, contact HMRC immediately to correct it.

Q15: Are there specific instructions for Volunteer Development Workers on CF83? A: Yes, there are specific instructions and sections for Volunteer Development Workers on the form.

Q16: Can I fill the CF83 form for a family member?

A: You can assist a family member, but they must sign the form themselves unless you have legal authority.

Q17: What happens if I don't pay voluntary NICs through CF83?

A: Not paying can lead to gaps in your NI record, affecting your future benefit entitlements.

Q18: How do I calculate the amount to pay for Class 2 and Class 3 NICs?

A: The rates for Class 2 and Class 3 NICs are set by HMRC and can be found on their website or in the NI38 leaflet.

Q19: Can I use CF83 if I am permanently moving abroad?

A: Yes, if you want to maintain your NI contributions for future UK benefits.

Q20: What should I include in the cover letter when repaying past contributions?

A: The cover letter should include which years you're paying for, your residence history, and confirmation that the rates for those years should be for Class 2 or Class 3 contributions.



bottom of page