• PTA

What Is A Tax Reference Number?

Every employer and every pension provider has a specific tax number to check their tax records with the HMRC. If you need to contact HMRC about taxes, you may be asked to confirm this tax number.

Where to find the tax reference number?

You can usually find the tax number on the payslip that you receive with each salary payment from your employer.

You can also find the tax number on your P60, which the employer gives to each employee at the end of the tax year. This document shows how much you paid during the tax year, as well as the amount of income tax and social security you paid.

If you no longer work for your employer, the tax identification number will appear on your P45, a tax document that employers give to employees at the end of their employment relationship.

Tax Reference Number on Payslip

What does a tax reference number look like?

The number consists of three digits, then several numbers, letters, or a combination of both. The first three numbers of the tax reference number show which tax office is responsible for the respective employer. The rest of the tax reference is shown by the employer. Workers can also provide their national insurance number when they need to contact a UK tax office.

Is a tax reference number the same as a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR)?

Don't make the mistake of confusing the tax reference number with a unique taxpayer reference number! HMRC provides a UTR number if you register for self-assessment. The 10-digit UTR number is mailed to you and displayed on your self-assessment documentation.

If you register for the self-assessment and you also have an employer or pension, you may have letters from HMRC that show either of these, depending on what the letter is about.

Where can I get my UTR number?

On your registration for your appraisal tax return, HMRC will issue you a UTR number.

If you are already registered, your UTR can be mentioned in many HMRC documents, including:

  1. SA250 letter or your 'self-assessment' letter

  2. Self-declaration without taxes

  3. Payment reminder

  4. Your tax return

  5. Your user account information

  6. You can also get it in your personal account on the HMRC website.

Why do I need a UTR number?

No big deal if you lose your UTR number. Check out all the documents above to see if you can find them there. If you still cannot find it, you should contact HMRC directly. UTR numbers are unique to everyone, so it is important to protect your UTR. Losing a UTR number can be dangerous because it may lead to identity theft.

What if I have more than one employer?

You can even have multiple employers, in which case each has their own unique employer reference number. Double-check the letter to make sure you have the correct reference number!

If you work for yourself or run your own business, watch our video to learn more about how and when to pay taxes.

Tax Reference Number

Use the correct HMRC part number

Each employer that enrolls in Pay as You Earn with HMRC has a unique tax number. It Helps HMRC to identify which employer you are dealing with.

You can also use other HMRC services such as VAT or corporation tax with separate reference numbers for each of these services. Keep a list of relevant reference numbers and the services for which they are intended to avoid confusion.

What is a Notice of Coding?

The HMRC issues a coding notice each year for each employment or company pension you have. The Coding Notice will let you know of any personal tax allowances you have for the year and how they have been apportioned across the employments.

Contact HMRC ASAP if you discover any coding errors to avoid paying the wrong tax amount.

If there are still unclear points, or you need any assistance in this regard, please contact us.

109 views0 comments