top of page
  • Writer's picturePTA

Are Students Exempt from Council Tax in the UK?

Understanding Council Tax Exemption for Students

Council Tax in the UK can be a significant household bill, and understanding exemptions available for students can lead to substantial savings. This first part of our three-part series explores the basics of Council Tax, eligibility criteria for students, and how to apply for exemptions.

Are Students Exempt from Council Tax in the UK

What is Council Tax?

Council Tax is a local taxation system in the UK charged on domestic properties to fund local authorities. It's typically split into various bands based on the property value.

Are Students Exempt from Council Tax?

Yes, full-time students in the UK can be exempt from paying Council Tax under certain conditions. A full exemption means that no Council Tax is due for the property if it is solely occupied by full-time students. This includes student halls of residence, which are automatically exempt.

Who Qualifies as a Full-Time Student?

To be considered a full-time student for Council Tax exemption, individuals must be enrolled in a course that:

  • Lasts at least one academic or calendar year.

  • Requires them to study at least 24 weeks within the year.

  • Involves around 21 hours of study, tuition, or work experience per week during term time.

These criteria cover most university and college students, including those engaged in distance learning, as long as they meet the intensity and duration requirements.

Applying for a Council Tax Exemption

To receive a Council Tax exemption, students must apply through their local council. This process typically involves providing a certificate of student status, which can be obtained from the university or college. The certificate must confirm the full-time status and course details.

Here’s a guide on applying:

  1. Check Eligibility: Ensure you meet the full-time student criteria.

  2. Gather Documentation: Obtain a student status certificate from your educational institution.

  3. Submit Application: Complete the Council Tax exemption form provided by your local council. This can usually be done online through the council’s official website.

  4. Follow Up: Keep track of your application, and follow up with the council if necessary.

(please see below for a detailed Step-by-Step Guide)

Properties Partially Exempt from Council Tax

If a property is occupied by a mix of full-time students and other individuals who are not students, the property is not fully exempt. However, students are still 'disregarded' for Council Tax purposes, which can result in a discounted Council Tax bill. For instance:

  • If one non-student lives with students, a 25% discount on the Council Tax might apply.

  • If two or more non-students live with students, and no other disregarded individuals are present, the full Council Tax rate applies, but only the non-students are counted for billing purposes.

Special Considerations

Certain exceptions and additional rules may apply, depending on local council regulations and specific living situations. For instance, if you live in a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO), typically, the landlord is responsible for paying the Council Tax, not the tenants.

Detailed Guide on Council Tax Exemption for Different Student Accommodations and Courses

In this second part of our series on Council Tax exemption for students in the UK, we will delve into specific scenarios involving different types of student accommodations, the implications for part-time students, and how short courses are handled. Understanding these nuances is crucial for students to effectively navigate their potential financial obligations.

Exemption for Different Types of Student Accommodations

The type of accommodation a student resides in can significantly influence their eligibility for Council Tax exemption:

  1. University Halls of Residence: These are automatically exempt from Council Tax, as they are exclusively occupied by full-time students.

  2. Private Rentals and Shared Flats: If all occupants are full-time students, these properties are exempt from Council Tax. Students need to submit individual applications to ensure the entire property is recognized as exempt.

  3. House in Multiple Occupation (HMO): If you live in an HMO where all occupants are full-time students, the property is exempt. However, if even one tenant is not a full-time student, the entire property might be liable for Council Tax, although discounts could still apply depending on the number of non-students.

Impact of Course Duration and Type

The length and type of course also play a crucial role in determining eligibility for Council Tax exemption:

  1. Full-Time Courses: As outlined earlier, these courses typically qualify for exemption if they meet the duration and weekly study requirements.

  2. Part-Time Courses: Part-time students can be eligible for Council Tax exemption if their study load meets the local council's criteria for 'full-time' status, which usually involves a minimum number of hours of study per week.

  3. Short Courses: Students in short courses lasting less than one year or involving less than 21 hours of study per week generally do not qualify for exemptions unless they are combined with additional studies that together meet the full-time criteria.

Special Cases: International and Postgraduate Students

International and postgraduate students often wonder about their eligibility for Council Tax exemption:

  1. International Students: Like domestic students, international students must meet the same criteria for full-time status to be eligible for Council Tax exemption.

  2. Postgraduate Students: Those engaged in full-time research or taught postgraduate courses generally qualify for exemption. However, those in part-time postgraduate programs might need to provide additional proof of their study intensity to qualify.

Practical Steps for Applying for Council Tax Exemption

Understanding the process can help students ensure they are not incorrectly charged:

  1. Contact Your Local Council: Start by visiting your local council's website. Each council may have slightly different forms and requirements.

  2. Provide Necessary Documentation: This typically includes a certificate of enrollment and evidence of your student status (like a student ID).

  3. Regularly Update Your Status: If your circumstances change — for instance, if you switch from full-time to part-time study — update your council tax status to avoid penalties.

  4. Seek Help If Needed: If you are unsure about your eligibility or how to apply, contact your university's student services or your local Citizens Advice Bureau for guidance.

The information provided here aims to equip students with the knowledge needed to manage their Council Tax obligations effectively. In the final part of our series, we will explore common misconceptions about Council Tax exemptions for students, provide insights into managing situations where exemptions are not granted, and discuss the responsibilities of students once they are no longer eligible for exemptions.

Navigating Misconceptions and Managing Council Tax Responsibilities After Student Exemption

In this final installment of our series on Council Tax exemption for students in the UK, we tackle prevalent misconceptions about the exemption, guide students on what to do if they're ineligible, and discuss the transition out of student status, focusing on maintaining compliance and avoiding financial pitfalls.

Debunking Common Misconceptions About Student Council Tax Exemption

Many students harbor misconceptions that can lead to unexpected bills or non-compliance with local tax laws. Here are the key myths debunked:

  1. Automatic Exemption: Simply being a student does not automatically exempt you from Council Tax. You must apply and qualify based on your full-time student status and the nature of your accommodation.

  2. Household Exemption: If even one member of a household is not a full-time student, the household may not be fully exempt from Council Tax, though discounts may still apply depending on the number of non-students.

  3. University Accommodation Assumption: Not all university accommodations are exempt. While student halls typically are, private rentals or university-affiliated accommodations may require students to apply for exemption explicitly.

Handling Ineligibility for Council Tax Exemption

For students who find themselves ineligible for a full exemption, there are still ways to manage and potentially reduce Council Tax obligations:

  1. Discounts: If you live with non-students, you might be eligible for a partial discount. For example, homes with one non-student and students might receive a 25% discount, as only one occupant is considered for the full tax.

  2. Financial Planning: Budgeting for Council Tax should be part of your financial planning if you are partially exempt or ineligible for exemption. Understanding the portion of the tax you are responsible for can prevent financial surprises.

  3. Consultation: Engage with your local council or seek advice from student services to understand your specific circumstances and explore all possible relief options, including any local discounts or hardship funds.

Transitioning Out of Student Status

Understanding the end of your eligibility for Council Tax exemption is crucial as you transition out of student status:

  1. End of Course: Exemption usually ends on the last day of your course or, in some cases, at the end of the academic year, regardless of graduation date. Prepare to assume full or partial Council Tax responsibilities from this point.

  2. Graduate Students: If continuing from undergraduate to postgraduate studies without a break, confirm with your local council how this affects your exemption status, especially over the summer.

  3. Change in Circumstances: If your student status changes (e.g., switching from full-time to part-time), update your council immediately to adjust your Council Tax status and avoid penalties.

Council Tax exemption is a significant financial relief for students in the UK, but it requires proactive management and understanding of the rules. By dispelling common myths, planning for potential tax liabilities, and staying informed about your specific situation, you can avoid unnecessary costs and ensure compliance with local tax laws. Always stay engaged with your local council and university services to navigate the complexities of Council Tax effectively.

How Different Scenarios of Students and Property Can Impact Council Tax Exemption for Students

Council Tax exemption for students in the UK can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the type of accommodation in which they reside and the specific characteristics of their study program. Understanding these nuances is crucial for students to navigate their eligibility and ensure compliance. This article explores how different scenarios involving students and properties impact their potential Council Tax exemptions.

Types of Student Accommodations and Their Impact on Council Tax

1. University Halls of Residence

Students living in university-managed halls of residence are automatically exempt from Council Tax. These accommodations are specifically designed for full-time students, and the exemption applies regardless of the number or mix of students living there.

2. Private Student Housing

Properties rented by students from private landlords can also be exempt, provided all residents are full-time students. This exemption applies to both houses rented by a group of students under a single tenancy agreement and individual tenancies within larger student complexes.

3. Mixed Student and Non-Student Housing

If a student lives in a property with non-students, such as a professional or a part-time student, the situation becomes more complex. The property itself is not exempt from Council Tax, but the full-time students are disregarded when calculating the tax. This often results in a discounted bill for the property:

  • If one non-student lives with students, the household may receive a 25% discount.

  • If two or more non-students live with students, no discount applies unless one of the non-students also qualifies for some form of disregard (e.g., a severe mental impairment).

Impact of Different Student Scenarios

1. Full-time vs. Part-time Students

Only full-time students qualify for a Council Tax exemption. Part-time students do not qualify unless their study hours meet the full-time criteria set by their local council. This distinction is vital for students when leasing properties or planning their studies.

2. Postgraduate Students

Postgraduate students are often involved in research or teaching that might not follow traditional full-time hours. However, if they meet the local criteria of a full-time student, they remain eligible for exemption. This status must be documented and verified through their educational institution.

3. International Students

Like domestic students, international students must prove their full-time status to qualify for the exemption. The process includes providing documentation from their institution that verifies their course details and study hours.

4. Students on Placement or Sabbatical

Students who are on placement or a year in industry as part of their course maintain their exemption status if their university continues to class them as full-time students. Those on sabbatical, however, might lose their exemption if they do not meet full-time study requirements during their break.

Special Cases and Exceptions

1. Short Courses

Students enrolled in short courses typically do not qualify for Council Tax exemption unless their course is part of a larger, full-time program. Each local council may have different rules regarding what constitutes a full-time study for these purposes.

2. Summer Breaks and Gap Years

Students are generally still considered full-time during the summer break if they are returning to full-time study after the break. However, students who take a gap year or break in their studies are likely to be responsible for Council Tax during this period unless they resume full-time education afterwards.

The eligibility for Council Tax exemption for students in the UK depends on a multitude of factors, including the nature of their accommodation, the details of their study program, and their personal circumstances. It is crucial for students to understand these variables and how they apply to their specific situation. Engaging with their university's student services and local council can provide personalized advice and ensure that students do not inadvertently find themselves liable for Council Tax. Proper understanding and management of these factors can help students avoid unexpected financial burdens during their academic careers.

How to Apply for Council Tax Exemption for Students in The UK - A Step by Step Guide

Applying for a Council Tax exemption as a student in the UK involves several steps that must be followed carefully to ensure you are not improperly charged. This guide will walk you through the process from start to finish, helping you navigate the requirements and procedures effectively.

Step 1: Verify Your Eligibility

The first step in applying for a Council Tax exemption is to determine whether you meet the eligibility criteria set by your local council. Generally, to qualify for a Council Tax exemption as a student, you must be:

  • Enrolled in a full-time course that lasts at least one academic year.

  • Required to study for a minimum of 21 hours per week for at least 24 weeks in the academic year.

Part-time students might also be eligible if their course intensity and duration meet specific criteria defined by their local authority.

Step 2: Gather Necessary Documentation

Once you have confirmed your eligibility, the next step is to gather all the necessary documentation to support your application. This typically includes:

  • A student status certificate or a council tax exemption certificate provided by your university or college. This document should confirm your enrollment and the details of your course.

  • Proof of residence, such as a tenancy agreement or a utility bill in your name.

  • Any additional documents required by your specific local council, which can vary.

Step 3: Complete the Council Tax Exemption Form

Most local councils provide a specific form that students must complete to apply for a Council Tax exemption. This form is usually available on the council’s official website. You will need to fill out the form accurately, providing all the requested information and attaching any required documents.

Step 4: Submit Your Application

After filling out the form, submit your application to the local council. This can typically be done online through the council’s website, or you may need to send it by post or hand it in at your local council office, depending on the council’s procedures.

Step 5: Follow Up

Once you have submitted your application, it is crucial to keep track of its progress. Some councils will send you a confirmation email or letter once they receive your application. If you do not hear back within a reasonable time frame, it is advisable to contact the council to check the status of your application.

Step 6: Keep Your Documentation

If your application is approved, you will receive a letter or an email from the council confirming your exemption. Keep this confirmation and all related documentation safe, as you may need to refer to it if there are any discrepancies or if your exemption status is questioned in the future.

Step 7: Update Your Status If Necessary

If there are any changes to your circumstances, such as moving house, changing courses, or shifting from full-time to part-time study, you must inform your local council immediately. These changes could affect your eligibility for the Council Tax exemption.

Special Considerations

  • Shared Accommodations: If you live in shared accommodations where not all residents are students, the property may not be fully exempt from Council Tax, but you may still qualify for a discount.

  • International Students: International students are also eligible for Council Tax exemption if they meet the same criteria as domestic students.

  • Postgraduate Students: Postgraduate students, including those engaged in research, are eligible if their course meets the full-time study requirements.

The Considerations for the Landlords Who Let Their Properties to Students as Tenants in the UK

Landlords in the UK who decide to let their properties to students face unique considerations and challenges compared to renting to other tenant demographics. From understanding the specific legal requirements and financial implications to managing property maintenance and tenant relations effectively, this guide delves into the crucial aspects landlords should consider.

1. Understanding the Market Demand

The student rental market is often seasonal, with high demand periods typically aligning with the academic calendar. Landlords should be aware of the academic schedules of nearby educational institutions to time their leasing periods appropriately. Marketing efforts should be ramped up before the start of terms, particularly over the summer months for the influx of new students.

2. Legal and Regulatory Compliance

HMO Licensing

Many student rentals qualify as Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs). An HMO is a property rented out by at least three people who are not from one 'household' (i.e., a family) but share facilities like the bathroom and kitchen. If letting to five or more students, landlords must obtain an HMO license from their local council, which involves ensuring the property meets certain safety standards.

Safety Regulations

Landlords must ensure the property complies with safety regulations, including gas safety, electrical equipment safety, and fire safety regulations. This includes installing smoke alarms on every floor and providing access to escape routes.

Deposit Protection

Landlords must place any deposits taken from students into a government-approved tenancy deposit protection scheme. This protects the students' money and helps resolve any disputes over the deposit at the end of the tenancy.

3. Financial Considerations

Setting Rent Levels

Understanding the typical rent levels for student properties in the area is crucial. Rents are generally set per person per week in student properties, unlike the monthly figures seen in other rental markets.

Council Tax

Properties rented solely to full-time students are exempt from council tax. Landlords should ensure that all tenants provide proof of their student status to qualify for this exemption. If the property is partially occupied by non-students, council tax will be applicable.

Utility Bills and Services

Deciding whether to include utilities and internet in the rent is another consideration. Inclusive bills can often be appealing to students and can justify a higher rent but require more management from the landlord to ensure usage stays reasonable.

4. Property Maintenance and Management

Wear and Tear

Student properties may experience higher than average wear and tear. Landlords should consider robust fixtures and durable furnishings to withstand heavier use and reduce the frequency of replacements.

Regular Inspections

Scheduling regular property inspections can help maintain the property to a good standard and address any issues before they become significant problems. This also encourages students to keep the property in good condition.

Responsive Repairs

Being responsive to maintenance requests helps in maintaining a good relationship with student tenants and ensures compliance with landlord obligations regarding property upkeep.

5. Tenant Relations and Management

Clear Communication

Effective communication is crucial. Landlords should provide clear guidelines on their expectations regarding property care and the procedures for reporting problems. They should also be approachable and responsive to encourage open lines of communication.

Understanding Tenants’ Needs

Landlords should be attuned to the needs of their student tenants, who may be living independently for the first time. Guidance on managing utility bills, security measures, and general housekeeping can be invaluable to new students.

Lease Agreements

Lease agreements should be clear and detailed, outlining all responsibilities and rules. It’s advisable to go through the lease agreement with the students to ensure they understand their obligations, such as noise levels, visitors, and maintenance duties.

6. Preparing for Turnover

High turnover is common in student rentals, with tenants typically staying for the academic year. Landlords should have a process in place for efficiently managing the end of tenancy, which includes checking out tenants, handling any disputes over deposits, and preparing the property for the next set of tenants.

Renting to students can be profitable for landlords but requires a good understanding of the specific challenges and responsibilities involved. By ensuring compliance with legal standards, setting appropriate rents, maintaining the property, and managing tenant relationships effectively, landlords can create a beneficial situation for both themselves and their student tenants. This proactive approach not only enhances the rental experience but also contributes to a stable investment in the student housing market.

How Can a Tax Accountant Help You Claim Council Tax Exemption for Students

How Can a Tax Accountant Help You Claim Council Tax Exemption for Students?

Navigating the complexities of Council Tax, particularly when seeking exemptions or discounts, can be daunting. For students in the UK, understanding their eligibility for a Council Tax exemption and successfully applying for it can significantly reduce their living costs. While many may attempt to manage this process independently, engaging a tax accountant can provide substantial benefits. This part explores how tax accountants can assist students in securing Council Tax exemptions effectively.

Expertise in Tax Legislation

Tax accountants are well-versed in the intricacies of UK tax laws, including those pertaining to Council Tax. They can provide precise information on eligibility criteria, ensuring that students do not miss out on exemptions due to misunderstandings or lack of knowledge about the law.

Comprehensive Assessment

A tax accountant can perform a thorough assessment of a student's situation to determine their eligibility for a Council Tax exemption. This assessment will consider various factors such as the student’s course load, the duration of their study, and their accommodation type. For example, while full-time students are generally exempt, part-time students may also qualify under specific conditions, which a tax accountant can help clarify.

Assistance with Documentation

Applying for a Council Tax exemption requires the submission of various documents proving student status and other relevant details. Tax accountants can assist in gathering the necessary documentation, such as enrollment certificates or student status letters from educational institutions, and ensure that all paperwork is correctly completed and submitted.

Guidance on Application Process

Tax accountants can guide students through the application process for a Council Tax exemption. This includes filling out the appropriate forms and advising on how to submit them to the local council. They can also help in setting up communications with the council to handle any queries or follow-up requests regarding the application.

Representation in Disputes

Should there be any disputes or challenges from the local council regarding a student's eligibility for Council Tax exemption, a tax accountant can act as a representative. They can negotiate on the student's behalf and provide professional advice to resolve disputes effectively, including appealing council decisions if necessary.

Avoiding Penalties

Incorrect applications for Council Tax exemptions can sometimes lead to penalties or backdated bills if the exemption is found to be invalid. Tax accountants can help prevent such issues by ensuring that all eligibility criteria are clearly met and documented before an application is submitted, reducing the risk of errors and potential legal complications.

Regular Updates on Tax Law Changes

Tax laws and regulations can change frequently. A tax accountant stays updated on all these changes and can advise students on how these might affect their exemption status. This is crucial for ensuring compliance with current laws and avoiding any issues with exemption claims.

Financial Planning

Beyond securing a Council Tax exemption, tax accountants can also assist students in broader financial planning. They can offer advice on managing finances more efficiently, budgeting, and even preparing for future tax obligations once they finish their studies and move into full-time employment.

Time Saving

Dealing with tax matters can be time-consuming, especially for students who need to focus on their studies. Employing a tax accountant saves time and allows students to dedicate their attention to academic obligations, secure in the knowledge that their Council Tax matters are being handled professionally.

Peace of Mind

Perhaps one of the most significant benefits of using a tax accountant is the peace of mind it brings. Knowing that an expert is managing the process can alleviate stress and anxiety about making errors or missing deadlines, which can be particularly comforting for international students unfamiliar with UK tax systems.

In conclusion, while students may initially hesitate to engage a tax accountant due to the perceived costs, the potential savings, assurance of legal compliance, and the convenience they offer make it a worthwhile investment. For students seeking Council Tax exemption, the expertise of a tax accountant can not only streamline the process but also ensure that all possible financial benefits are realized, enhancing their overall financial well-being during their studies in the UK.


Q1. Do postgraduate students also qualify for council tax exemption?

A Yes, postgraduate students in the UK qualify for council tax exemption if they meet the criteria for full-time study, which usually involves attending a university or college course that lasts at least one year and requires attendance for at least 21 hours per week.

Q2. Can part-time students receive council tax exemption in the UK?

A Part-time students do not automatically qualify for council tax exemption. However, they might be eligible if their study program meets the intensity and duration required for full-time courses, as defined by their local council.

Q3. Are international students eligible for council tax exemption in the UK?

A Yes, international students are eligible for council tax exemption if they are full-time students. They must provide proof of their student status from their educational institution to qualify.

Q4. What happens to council tax exemption if a student suspends their studies?

A If a student suspends their studies, they generally lose their eligibility for council tax exemption during the period of suspension unless they continue to meet the full-time study requirements through other means.

Q5. How does summer break affect student council tax exemption?

A Students typically maintain their council tax exemption during the summer break as long as they are enrolled in full-time studies for the next academic term.

Q6. Are students in distance learning programs eligible for council tax exemption?

A Yes, students in full-time distance learning programs can qualify for council tax exemption if their course meets the same criteria as on-campus programs regarding duration and weekly study hours.

Q7. What proof do students need to provide to claim council tax exemption?

A Students must provide a certificate of student status or a student exemption certificate from their university or college, which confirms their enrollment and full-time student status.

Q8. Can council tax exemption be applied retroactively if it was not claimed during the academic year?

A It depends on the local council's policies. Some councils may allow retroactive applications for council tax exemption if the student can prove they were eligible during the period in question.

Q9. What should students do if they receive a council tax bill despite being exempt?

A Students should contact their local council immediately to clarify their exemption status and provide necessary documentation proving their eligibility as full-time students.

Q10. Are students who are doing a placement year eligible for council tax exemption?

A Students on a placement year may still qualify for council tax exemption if their university considers the placement part of their full-time course requirements.

Q11. How do shared living arrangements affect council tax exemption for students?

A In shared accommodations where not all occupants are full-time students, the property may not be exempt from council tax. However, full-time students are disregarded in the tax calculation, potentially reducing the overall amount due.

Q12. Does a change in the number of people in a student household affect council tax exemption?

A Yes, changes in the composition of the household, such as non-students moving in or out, can affect the council tax exemption status and may require recalculating the tax amount.

Q13. Are there any penalties for falsely claiming student council tax exemption?

A Yes, falsely claiming council tax exemption can result in penalties, including being back-charged for the unpaid council tax and possible fines.

Q14. Can students get council tax exemption if they only attend classes online?

A Yes, online students can be eligible for council tax exemption if they are enrolled in a full-time course that meets the required weekly study hours.

Q15. What are the implications of council tax exemption for students living in university-managed accommodation?

A Students living in university-managed accommodations are generally exempt from council tax, as these properties are considered part of the educational institution.

Q16. How long does it take to process a council tax exemption application?

A The processing time can vary by local council but generally takes several weeks. Students are advised to apply as soon as they are eligible to avoid delays.

Q17. Who is responsible for applying for council tax exemption in a shared student house?

A Each full-time student is responsible for applying for their own exemption, although one housemate can submit applications on behalf of all eligible students in the household if they have the necessary information.

Q18. How does student council tax exemption apply to graduate students who teach or do research?

A Graduate students who teach or conduct research as part of their doctoral programs are eligible for council tax exemption if their overall work and study commitment meets the full-time criteria.

Q19. What are the rules for council tax exemption for students during gap years?

A Students taking a formal gap year or academic break generally do not qualify for council tax exemption unless they remain enrolled and meet full-time study criteria through other academic activities.

Q20. Are there specific council tax rules for students with disabilities?

A Students with disabilities are treated the same as other students regarding council tax exemption; they must meet the full-time study requirements. However, if a student's disability necessitates another adult living with them to provide care, that carer may also be disregarded for council tax purposes, potentially affecting the exemption status of the property.



bottom of page