top of page
  • Writer's picturePTA

How to Use Form VAT484 to Change Your VAT Registration Details

In the United Kingdom, the Value Added Tax (VAT) is a crucial aspect of business operations. There may be times when you need to change your VAT registration details, such as your business contact details, bank details, or return dates. This is where form VAT484 comes into play. This form, provided by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC), is a straightforward and efficient way to update your VAT registration details.

VAT484 to Change Your VAT Registration Details

Understanding Form VAT484

Form VAT484 is a tool that allows you to change your business contact details, bank details, and return dates on your VAT registration. It is also used when you take over the VAT responsibilities of someone who is unable to manage their own affairs due to illness or death. In such cases, you must inform HMRC within 21 days, including the details of the date of death or the onset of the illness.

Who Should Use Form VAT484?

The VAT484 form is intended for businesses and individuals who are currently registered for Value Added Tax (VAT) in the UK. It becomes necessary to complete and submit this form when there are specific changes to your business circumstances. These might include:

· Changes to the business address.

· Alterations to the structure of your business, such as shifting from a sole trader to a limited company, or vice versa.

· Changes to your business's legal constitution.

· Significant amendments to the nature of your business that would affect VAT liability.

· Changes to the details of a responsible person or VAT representative.

· Change in the VAT scheme used by the business.

When Should It Be Used?

Ideally, the VAT484 form should be submitted to the HMRC as soon as any of the aforementioned changes occur. Prompt reporting helps to ensure that your VAT records are up-to-date and accurate, which can help prevent any potential legal or financial complications down the line. The VAT484 form can be completed and submitted online, making it relatively easy and convenient to keep your VAT registration details current.

It's important to note that failing to inform HMRC about relevant changes within 30 days may lead to penalties. It's recommended to consult with a tax professional or directly with HMRC if you are unsure whether a change in your business circumstances necessitates the completion and submission of a VAT484 form.

How to Complete Form VAT484

Completing form VAT484 is a simple process that involves a few key steps:

  1. Download the Form: The first step is to download and save the "Changes to VAT registration details (VAT484)" form on your computer. The form is available in PDF format and is approximately 215 KB in size, spanning two pages.

  2. Print and Complete the Form: After downloading the form, you need to print it out and fill in the necessary details. Ensure that all the information provided is accurate to avoid any complications.

  3. Send the Form to HMRC: Once the form is completed, it should be sent to the HMRC address provided on the form. It's important to note that the form must be submitted by post.

How to Fill Different Sections of Form VAT484 in the UK

Form VAT484 is a crucial document used to notify HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) of any changes to your VAT-registered business in the UK. This guide will walk you through the process of filling out different sections of the form.

Initial Details

At the top of the form, you will need to provide your VAT Registration Number, your full name, and your position within the company (for example, Proprietor, Partner, or Director). You will also need to tick the boxes that apply to the changes you want to report. These could be changes to business contact details, bank details, or VAT returns dates.

Section 1: Changes to Business Contact Details

If you're changing your business contact details, you need to complete this section. For sole traders or partnerships, if you're changing your name, provide a copy of your marriage, divorce, or deed poll certificate. For incorporated companies, if you're changing your company name, provide the Certificate of Incorporation for the change of name from Companies House. If you've changed the address of the principal place of business, provide the new address. Note that HMRC does not accept an accountant’s address, director’s home address, PO Box address, or c/o address. Also, provide your contact numbers, business email, and website addresses.

Section 2: Change Bank Details

If you're changing your bank details, complete this section. The bank account must be held in the UK, and the bank account name must match the business name unless the business is part of a franchise. These bank details are used by HMRC to make any repayments of VAT to your business. If you pay VAT by Direct Debit, HMRC records those details from your business tax account. For partnerships where multiple signatures are required, use form VATC9 available on GOV.UK. Amendments can be made with your bank.

Section 3: Change VAT Returns Dates

If you wish to change your VAT returns dates, complete this section. You can choose to have your VAT returns end on the last days of specific months or apply for monthly returns. To apply for Annual Accounting, refer to form VAT600AA.

Authorisation and Declaration

It is important that the changes are authorized by the appropriate person. The details can only be amended with the written authority of the registered person. Acceptable signatories vary depending on the type of business. For example, for an incorporated company, a Director or Company Secretary can sign. Other signatories such as accountants and solicitors will only be accepted after an original form 64-8, 'Authorising your agent' has been completed.

After filling out the form, sign it, provide the date, your full name, and the capacity in which you signed (for example, Proprietor, Partner, Director). Then, declare that the information you have given on the form is true and complete.


Once you have completed the form, return it to the address provided on the form: BT VAT HM Revenue and Customs BX9 1WR.

In conclusion, filling out form VAT484 is a straightforward process, but it's crucial to ensure all information is accurate and complete. By following these steps, you can successfully notify HMRC of any changes to your VAT-registered business.

Accessibility of Form VAT484

HMRC is committed to ensuring that all its forms are accessible to everyone. If you use assistive technology, such as a screen reader, and find the form unsuitable, you can request a more accessible format. To do this, send an email to, specifying the format you need and the assistive technology you use.

Importance of Updating VAT Registration Details

It is crucial to keep your VAT registration details up to date. Certain changes may necessitate the cancellation or transfer of your VAT registration. HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) must be informed within 30 days of any changes to the name, trading name, or main address of your business, the accountant or agent who handles your VAT, or the members of a partnership, including the name or home address of any of the partners. Failure to inform HMRC about changes within 30 days could result in a penalty.

Changing Your Bank Details

If you're changing your bank details, you must inform HMRC at least 14 days in advance. If you pay your VAT by Direct Debit, you'll also need to inform your bank. However, avoid doing this in the 5 banking days before or after your VAT return is due, as it could result in you being charged twice. If you use the Annual Accounting Scheme, you must write to the Annual Accounting Registration Unit to change your Direct Debit details, including your registration number.

How to Inform HMRC

You can change your details online through your VAT online account, by post using the form VAT484, or by webchat or phone. If there are any changes to a partnership, you must send form VAT2 to the VAT Registration Service.

Taking Over Someone Else's VAT Responsibilities

If you take over the VAT responsibilities of someone who has died or is ill and unable to manage their own affairs, you must inform HMRC within 21 days. Use form VAT484 and post it to the address on the form, including the details of the date of death or the onset of the illness.

Joining a VAT Group

If you join a VAT group, you must first cancel your VAT registration. Once you've joined the group, you'll need to use the group's VAT number. The VAT group should inform HMRC about the new member.

Changing Your Business Structure

If you change the structure of your business, you need to inform HMRC. You can transfer your VAT registration if you want to keep the same VAT number.

Keeping your VAT registration details up to date is a crucial aspect of managing your business in the UK. Whether you're changing your business or bank details, taking over someone else's VAT responsibilities, joining a VAT group, or changing your business structure, it's essential to communicate these changes to HMRC in a timely manner. By doing so, you can ensure your business remains compliant with VAT regulations and avoid any potential penalties.

In conclusion, form VAT484 is an essential tool for businesses in the UK to update their VAT registration details. Whether you're changing your business contact details, bank details, or return dates, or taking over someone else's VAT responsibilities, this form provides a straightforward way to communicate these changes to HMRC. Remember, it's crucial to inform HMRC of any changes within 21 days to ensure your VAT responsibilities are up to date and in compliance with UK regulations.

Professional Help from A Tax Accountant for Form VAT484

Why Is It a Good Idea to Get Professional Help from A Tax Accountant for Form VAT484

The management of taxes is a crucial task for any business or individual. Among the many intricate forms and processes involved, form VAT484 stands out as particularly important. This document is used in the United Kingdom to inform HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) about any changes to your VAT registration details, such as your business address or name. While it may seem like a simple task, filling out this form can become complex due to its technicalities. This is where a professional tax accountant can make a world of difference.

Navigating the Complexities of VAT484

Form VAT484 is packed with complexities that may not be immediately apparent. These intricacies may include, but are not limited to, understanding the applicability of each section, using correct legal terminologies, and ensuring all information is up-to-date. A tax accountant, with their in-depth knowledge of tax laws and HMRC requirements, is well equipped to navigate these complexities. They can fill out the form accurately and efficiently, minimizing the risk of errors that can lead to fines or other legal issues.

Avoiding Costly Mistakes

A simple error or omission in form VAT484 could have serious financial implications. You could face penalties, interest charges, or even an audit by HMRC. A professional tax accountant can help you avoid these pitfalls. They will carefully review your form for potential errors and verify all details. Their expertise allows them to spot issues that might escape the untrained eye, thereby preventing costly mistakes.

Saving Time and Effort

Dealing with VAT484 is not just about complexity—it's also about the time and effort involved. The time you spend researching tax laws, filling out the form, and dealing with potential queries from HMRC could be better spent on core business activities. By hiring a tax accountant, you delegate this task to an expert, saving yourself significant time and effort.

Staying Updated with the Latest Tax Laws

Tax laws are constantly evolving. Keeping up with these changes is critical to ensure that your business remains compliant with all tax regulations. Tax accountants are not only versed in current tax laws but also stay updated with any changes. They apply this knowledge when filling out form VAT484, ensuring that it aligns with the latest tax laws and HMRC guidelines.

Proactive Tax Planning

A professional tax accountant does not just fill out forms; they also provide proactive tax planning. They can suggest effective strategies to minimize your VAT liability and optimize your tax situation. By getting their help with form VAT484, you also gain access to this valuable insight, enabling you to make smarter decisions about your VAT obligations.


In a nutshell, getting professional help from a tax accountant for form VAT484 is a wise decision. It's about more than just filling out a form—it's about navigating complexities, avoiding costly mistakes, saving time and effort, staying updated with the latest tax laws, and benefiting from proactive tax planning. The investment in professional tax assistance can pay off in significant ways, providing peace of mind and financial advantages that far outweigh the costs.

bottom of page