top of page
  • Writer's picturePTA

How to Apply for Council Tax Reduction

Council Tax Reduction, also known as Council Tax Support, is a government initiative in the United Kingdom that provides financial assistance to individuals and families who have difficulty paying their council tax. This guide will take you through the steps of applying for a Council Tax Reduction in the UK.

How to Apply for Council Tax Reduction

Eligibility for Council Tax Reduction

The Council Tax Reduction (CTR) scheme in the UK is designed to help individuals on a low income or those claiming benefits reduce their council tax bill. You can be eligible for a reduction of up to 100% of your council tax bill if you're on a low income, claiming benefits, unemployed, working, a homeowner, or a tenant. However, the exact amount of reduction you receive depends on several factors​​.

Factors Influencing Your Eligibility

The key factors that influence your eligibility for the Council Tax Reduction scheme include:

  1. Location: Each council in the UK runs its own CTR scheme, meaning the specifics of the scheme can vary depending on where you live.

  2. Personal Circumstances: Your personal circumstances, such as your income, the number of children you have, the benefits you receive, and your residency status can impact your eligibility for the scheme.

  3. Household Income: Your household income, including savings, pensions, and your partner's income, is taken into account when determining your eligibility for CTR.

  4. Living Arrangements: Whether your children live with you or if other adults live with you can also affect your eligibility for CTR​.

Applying for Council Tax Reduction

Applying for Council Tax Reduction involves contacting your local council. Before you apply, check if you're eligible for CTR or the Second Adult Rebate. The rules for these benefits depend on whether you have reached the State Pension age, and your eligibility for certain benefits like Universal Credit, Jobseeker's Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance, and Income Support.

You can apply for CTR as soon as you believe you're eligible. You can apply up to 8 weeks before you're responsible for paying council tax on your home, or up to 13 weeks before you become eligible for CTR. If you're of pension age, you can apply up to 17 weeks in advance​.

You can apply online, fill in a form, or in some cases, apply by telephone. Only one person per household needs to apply​.

The application process is generally straightforward and done through your local council. Here's a step-by-step guide:

Step 1: Contact Your Local Council

First, contact your local council. You can do this by visiting their website or calling them directly. They can guide you through the application process and provide any forms you need to fill out.

Step 2: Fill Out the Application Form

The application form will typically ask for information about your income, savings, and expenses. Fill it out carefully, ensuring all information is accurate.

Step 3: Submit Your Application

Once you've filled out the application form, submit it along with your supporting documents. This can usually be done online, but some councils may also accept applications by post.

Evidence Required

When applying for CTR, your local council will typically require evidence of your income and savings. If you don't have this evidence immediately available, you can write 'evidence to follow' on the application form and send it as soon as possible​.

Gathering Necessary Documents

Before you apply, gather all necessary documents to provide evidence of your financial situation. This usually includes:

  1. Proof of identity: passport or driving license.

  2. Proof of income: payslips, bank statements, or benefit letters.

  3. Proof of rent or mortgage payments.

Make sure all documents are up-to-date and reflect your current financial situation.

After Applying for Council Tax Reduction

After you've submitted your application, your local council will review it and determine your eligibility. The council may contact you if they need more information. The decision time varies, but you should hear back within a few weeks.

If your application is successful, your Council Tax Reduction will be subtracted directly from your Council Tax bill. The amount you receive will depend on your circumstances, such as your income and the number of dependents you have.

If your application is unsuccessful, you can ask for the decision to be reconsidered. If you're still unhappy with the decision, you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal.

Keep Your Information Up-to-Date

It's essential to keep your local council informed about any changes to your circumstances. This includes changes to your income, savings, or family situation. Such changes can affect your eligibility for Council Tax Reduction or the amount you're entitled to.

Which Forms to Fill for Applying for Council Tax Reduction in the UK

To apply for Council Tax Reduction (CTR) or Second Adult Rebate in the UK, you must submit an application to your local council. Before you apply, ensure you are eligible for either CTR or the Second Adult Rebate. Two sets of CTR rules exist, with eligibility typically depending on whether you've reached State Pension age. It's best to apply as soon as you become eligible, and you can apply up to 8 weeks before you're first responsible for paying council tax on your home, or up to 13 weeks before you become eligible for CTR​.

The Application Process

To apply for CTR, you can fill in a form or apply online, and some local councils might also allow applications by telephone. If you live with a partner, only one of you needs to apply. If you're eligible for CTR when you make the application, you might be able to get it backdated. If the pension age CTR rules apply to you, you can ask your local council to backdate your CTR for up to 3 months before you made the application. If the working-age CTR rules apply, check your local council's CTR policy for backdating rules​.

Sending Evidence with Your Application

Your local council's website should specify what evidence you need to send with your application. This may include evidence of your income and savings. If you need more time to gather the evidence, write 'evidence to follow' on the application form and send the evidence as soon as possible​​.

Correcting Mistakes in Your Application

If you've made a mistake on your application form, you should contact your local council as soon as possible to correct your application. It's recommended to request changes in writing so that you can keep a copy of your letter or email​.

Receiving the Council's Decision

Once your local council has all the necessary information and evidence, they should make a decision and inform you in writing. If the council's decision isn't clear, you can write to them and ask them to explain their decision within one month of the decision​.

Applying for a Discretionary Reduction

If you're still struggling to pay your council tax, you can request a 'discretionary reduction' from your local council. You can apply for a discretionary reduction whether or not you're receiving CTR. If you've fallen behind with council tax payments, you can also apply for a discretionary reduction to help pay them off​​.

Disputing a Decision About CTR or a Discretionary Reduction

If you disagree with a decision about CTR or a discretionary reduction, you can write to your local council and ask them to reconsider. You should write as soon as possible, and the council should send you a reply in writing within two months. They should inform you if they will change their decision and why​.

Remember, the specific forms you may need to fill out and the process can vary depending on your local council. Always check your local council's website for the most up-to-date and accurate information.

What are The Differences Between the Council Tax Reduction, Council Tax Rebate, and Council Tax Discount in the UK?

Council Tax Reduction

The Council Tax Reduction scheme, also known as Council Tax Support, is a system designed to help individuals who are on a low income or claiming certain benefits and struggle to pay their Council Tax. The amount you get depends on various factors such as your circumstances (income, number of children, benefits, residency status), household income (including savings, pensions, and your partner’s income), whether your children live with you, and if other adults live with you. The reduction could be up to 100% depending on these factors and the policies of the local council that you belong to.

Council Tax Rebate

The term "Council Tax Rebate" is often used interchangeably with "Council Tax Reduction." They essentially refer to the same thing, which is financial assistance provided to eligible residents to help them pay their Council Tax. However, you should check with your local council or relevant government resources to confirm any specific usage of the term in your locality.

Council Tax Discount

Council Tax Discount refers to the different circumstances under which your Council Tax bill may be reduced. This reduction is different from the Council Tax Reduction scheme, which is based on low income or benefits. A Council Tax Discount can apply to various situations, including when you live alone, when the property is unoccupied, or when the residents are exempt due to specific conditions (like being students or having a disability). The amount of discount you can get depends on the specific circumstances.

I'm still gathering more detailed information on these terms and their differences, as some specifics may vary depending on local council policies. I will provide more information once I have it.


Applying for a Council Tax Reduction can provide significant financial relief if you're struggling with your Council Tax bills. Understanding the process, from eligibility to application to post-application, can help you navigate the system effectively. Remember, each local council has its own specific rules, so it's important to contact your local council for the most accurate information.



bottom of page