top of page
  • Writer's picturePTA

How to Claim a Corporation Tax Refund

Claiming a corporation tax refund in the UK is a process that businesses may need to undertake if they have overpaid their taxes or are eligible for certain tax reliefs. This comprehensive guide is divided into three parts to provide you with all the necessary information to successfully claim a refund. This first part covers the basics of corporation tax refunds, including eligibility, the process for claiming, and key changes in the corporation tax system for the fiscal year 2023/2024.

How to Claim a Corporation Tax Refund

Understanding Corporation Tax Refunds

Corporation tax is levied on the profits of limited companies and other organizations like clubs, cooperatives, and unincorporated associations. If a company pays more corporation tax than required, it's entitled to a refund from HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC). This can occur due to overestimation of tax liabilities, tax relief claims, or amendments to tax returns showing a lower tax liability. HMRC may also pay interest on refunds for early payments or overpayments, with the current rate set at 0.5%​​​.

Eligibility for a Refund

To be eligible for a refund, companies must have made an overpayment in their corporation tax due to adjustments in tax liabilities, such as through claiming reliefs or recognizing losses. The eligibility extends to situations where companies have paid their taxes early, thus potentially earning credit interest from HMRC​.

Claiming a Corporation Tax Refund

To claim a refund, companies should use their Company Tax Return to notify HMRC of the overpayment and specify how they wish to receive the refund. Options include direct bank transfers, applying the refund against future tax liabilities, or using it to settle other tax dues like PAYE or VAT. It's crucial to include accurate bank details on the Company Tax Return for direct refunds. If no bank details are provided, HMRC may apply the refund towards any outstanding tax liabilities or upcoming corporation tax bills​.

Key Changes in Corporation Tax Rates for 2023/2024

The fiscal year 2023/2024 has introduced significant changes to the UK's corporation tax system. The main rate has increased to 25% for profits exceeding £250,000. However, a tapered rate exists for profits between £50,000 and £250,000, gradually rising from the previous rate of 19% to 25%. This tiered approach aims to mitigate the impact on smaller businesses​.

Impact on Businesses

  • Large Enterprises: Businesses with profits over £250,000 will face the increased rate of 25%. This change demands strategic financial planning to accommodate the higher tax liability.

  • Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs): SMEs will experience varied impacts. Those with profits under £50,000 remain at the 19% rate, while those in the intermediate range face the tapered rate. This structure is designed to ease the transition to higher tax rates for growing businesses​.

Tax Relief and Incentives

Several tax relief measures and incentives have been adjusted or introduced to support businesses:

  • Super-deduction: Extended into 2023/2024, allowing 130% capital allowance on qualifying investments in plant and machinery.

  • R&D Tax Credits: Enhanced to encourage innovation, with expanded qualifying expenditures and increased relief rates for SMEs.

  • Loss Carry Back: Extended rules allow businesses to carry back trading losses for enhanced flexibility in managing tax liabilities​.

This overview sets the stage for a deeper exploration of the corporation tax refund process, including detailed steps, documentation requirements, and strategic considerations for maximizing tax efficiency.

Practical Steps

This section delves deeper into the practical steps for claiming a corporation tax refund in the UK, focusing on documentation, timing considerations, and how to navigate changes and challenges in the tax system for the fiscal year 2023/2024.

Detailed Steps for Claiming a Refund

  1. File a Company Tax Return: The primary method for claiming a corporation tax refund is through your Company Tax Return. Ensure that the return accurately reflects your tax position, including any overpayments or entitlements to reliefs that could result in a refund​.

  2. Provide Bank Details: For a direct refund, include your company's bank account number and sort code on the tax return. This enables HMRC to process the refund efficiently to the correct account​.

  3. Specify the Refund Allocation: If you prefer the refund to be allocated towards future tax liabilities or other owed taxes (like PAYE or VAT), clearly indicate this preference in your tax return​​​.

  4. Claiming Interest on Refunds: If applicable, understand that HMRC pays interest on overpayments and early payments. The calculation of this interest starts from the payment date to the statutory due date or the actual refund date, whichever is earlier​​​.

Documentation and Compliance

Maintaining comprehensive records is crucial for supporting any claim, including invoices, receipts, and detailed accounts, to substantiate the figures reported on your tax return. In the event of an HMRC inquiry, having organized and accessible documentation can streamline the process and support your position​.

Timing Considerations

  • Deadline for Filing: The deadline to file a Company Tax Return is 12 months after the end of the accounting period it covers. Submitting your return promptly ensures eligibility for any refunds and helps avoid penalties​.

  • Amending Returns: If you discover errors or omissions after filing, the Company Tax Return can be amended. For corporation tax, there's typically a window of 12 months from the statutory filing date to make amendments​.

Navigating Tax System Changes

The fiscal year 2023/2024 brought significant adjustments to the corporation tax landscape, with rate increases and the introduction of a tapered rate for profits between £50,000 and £250,000. Understanding these changes is essential for accurate tax planning and ensuring that your tax return and any refund claims reflect the latest tax laws​.

  • Leveraging Tax Reliefs: Utilize available tax reliefs and incentives, such as the super-deduction for plant and machinery investments or expanded R&D tax credits, to minimize your corporation tax liability and potentially increase your refund amount​.

Effectively managing your corporation tax and maximizing your refund involves careful planning, thorough documentation, and an understanding of the current tax rules and rates. By following the outlined steps and considering the strategic implications of tax system changes, UK businesses can navigate the complexities of corporation tax refunds with greater confidence and efficiency.

Advanced Strategies

Now we will explore advanced strategies for UK businesses seeking to optimize their corporation tax positions, ensure compliance, and prepare for future changes in the tax system. This part focuses on strategic tax planning, handling compliance checks, and leveraging insights for proactive financial management.

Advanced Tax Planning Strategies

  1. Utilize All Available Reliefs and Deductions: Beyond the super-deduction and R&D tax credits mentioned previously, businesses should review all available tax reliefs, such as those for creative industries, green investments, and employee share schemes, to reduce taxable profits and enhance eligibility for refunds​.

  2. Strategic Loss Utilization: For businesses experiencing losses, consider how these can be strategically applied, either by carrying them back to reclaim taxes paid in previous years (where applicable) or carrying forward to offset future profits, thereby reducing future tax liabilities​.

  3. Tax-efficient Withdrawal Strategies: Directors and shareholders should consider tax-efficient strategies for extracting profits from the business, balancing between salaries, dividends, and benefits in kind to minimize overall tax liabilities for both the company and individuals involved.

Handling HMRC Compliance Checks

HMRC may conduct compliance checks on corporation tax returns and claims for refunds. Preparing for these checks involves:

  1. Maintaining Robust Documentation: Keep detailed records of all financial transactions, tax calculations, and justifications for claims made on your tax returns. This includes documentation for all reliefs and deductions claimed​​.

  2. Understanding the Process: Familiarize yourself with the compliance check process, including your rights and responsibilities. This knowledge can help in providing accurate and timely responses to HMRC's inquiries.

  3. Seek Professional Advice: Consider engaging a tax professional or advisor if you're selected for a compliance check, especially for complex tax matters or substantial claims.

Preparing for Future Tax System Changes

  1. Stay Informed: Keep abreast of changes to the tax code, rates, and reliefs. Government announcements, professional tax advisories, and industry groups can be valuable sources of information.

  2. Scenario Planning: Regularly review your tax strategy in light of potential changes to the tax system. Scenario planning can help anticipate the impact of rate changes, new reliefs, or compliance requirements on your business.

  3. Engage with Tax Professionals: A relationship with a tax professional can provide insights into emerging tax issues, strategic advice, and assistance with complex compliance matters.

Successfully managing corporation tax and maximizing potential refunds requires a proactive approach to tax planning, compliance, and ongoing management of tax liabilities. By leveraging tax reliefs, strategically managing profits and losses, and preparing for compliance checks, UK businesses can navigate the complexities of the tax system more effectively.

As tax laws and rates continue to evolve, staying informed and engaged with professional tax advice will be key to optimizing your corporation tax position and ensuring your business remains compliant and financially healthy.

This guide has provided a comprehensive overview of claiming a corporation tax refund in the UK, from understanding eligibility and the claims process to advanced strategies for tax optimization. With careful planning and management, businesses can navigate the corporation tax landscape efficiently, benefiting from potential refunds and minimizing liabilities.

Key HMRC Forms for Corporation Tax Refund Claims

Claiming a corporation tax refund in the UK involves navigating HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) processes and understanding which forms to use. This article outlines the essential HMRC forms involved in claiming a corporation tax refund and guides on their usage.

1. CT600 - Company Tax Return Form

The CT600 form is the primary document companies use to file their Corporation Tax Return. This form includes sections for declaring profits, calculating the corporation tax due, and stating any tax overpayments that may lead to a refund. It's essential to accurately complete the CT600 to ensure HMRC has all the information needed to process your refund.

  • How to Use: Fill out the form with your company's financial details for the accounting period, including profits, losses, and tax deductions. If you're claiming a refund, ensure the overpayment details are clearly stated. The form can be submitted online through HMRC's website or via commercial software that's compatible with HMRC systems.

2. CT600A - Loans to Participators by Close Companies

For close companies that have made loans to participators (such as directors or shareholders), form CT600A is used alongside the main CT600 form. This form helps calculate any tax due on these loans, which could affect the corporation tax calculation and any potential refund.

  • How to Use: Complete this form if your company has made loans to participators and attach it with your CT600 return. Include details of the loans and any repayments or releases of loans during the fiscal period.

3. CT600E - Charities and Community Amateur Sports Clubs (CASCs) Supplementary Pages

Companies that are registered charities or CASCs must complete the CT600E form to claim tax reliefs specific to their status. These reliefs can significantly impact the corporation tax calculation and the refund amount.

  • How to Use: Detail your charity or CASC's income and claim any relevant tax reliefs. It's important to accurately report exempt income and any taxable activities to ensure the correct calculation of your corporation tax liabilities or refunds.

4. R&D Tax Relief Forms

Companies claiming Research and Development (R&D) tax relief must provide detailed information about their R&D activities and expenditures. While there's no separate form for R&D tax relief in the CT600, the claim is made in the main return, and detailed supporting documentation should be prepared.

  • How to Use: Include information about qualifying R&D activities and expenditures in the relevant sections of your CT600 form. Prepare a comprehensive R&D report detailing the nature of the R&D activities, the innovation aimed for, and a breakdown of the costs involved.

Filing and Supporting Documentation

When claiming a corporation tax refund, supporting documentation is crucial. This includes financial statements, detailed accounts, invoices, and any other evidence supporting your claim for overpayment or eligibility for tax relief.

Online Submission

HMRC encourages online submission of the CT600 and its supplementary pages. This process is streamlined through HMRC's online services portal or through compatible software that directly communicates with HMRC's systems. Filing online ensures quicker processing and allows for electronic records of submissions.

Tips for Successful Claims

  • Accuracy is Key: Ensure all information provided on the forms is accurate and complete to avoid delays or inquiries from HMRC.

  • Keep Comprehensive Records: Maintain detailed records and documentation to support your claims, including financial statements and evidence of tax-deductible expenses.

  • Understand Tax Reliefs: Familiarize yourself with various tax reliefs and deductions your company may be eligible for, such as R&D tax credits or capital allowances, to maximize your refund potential.

  • Seek Professional Advice: Consider consulting a tax professional or accountant, especially if your tax situation is complex or you're unsure about the specifics of claiming a refund.

Understanding and using the correct HMRC forms is crucial for companies in the UK to claim a corporation tax refund effectively. By accurately completing forms CT600, CT600A, CT600E, and properly documenting R&D tax relief claims within your tax return, businesses can ensure they provide all necessary information to HMRC for processing their refund claims efficiently. Remember, accurate completion and timely submission of these forms, coupled with thorough record-keeping, are the keys to a successful tax refund claim.

How a Tax Accountant Can Help You Claim a Corporation Tax Refund

How a Tax Accountant Can Help You Claim a Corporation Tax Refund

In the complex landscape of UK corporate taxation, navigating the intricacies of claiming a corporation tax refund can be daunting for businesses of all sizes. This is where the expertise of a tax accountant becomes invaluable. A tax accountant plays a crucial role in ensuring that your business not only complies with tax laws but also maximizes its potential for receiving a corporation tax refund. Here’s how a tax accountant can assist in this process:

Expert Guidance on Tax Laws and Regulations

Tax laws in the UK are subject to frequent changes and updates. A tax accountant stays abreast of these changes, providing expert advice on how new tax laws and regulations can affect your corporation tax refund claim. They can interpret complex tax legislation and translate it into actionable advice, ensuring that your business remains compliant while optimizing tax reliefs and deductions.

Identifying Eligible Tax Reliefs and Deductions

One of the key ways a tax accountant can assist is by identifying the various tax reliefs and deductions for which your business is eligible. This may include research and development (R&D) tax credits, capital allowances, or relief on charitable donations. By thoroughly understanding your business operations, a tax accountant can pinpoint specific areas where you can reduce your taxable profit, thereby increasing the potential for a corporation tax refund.

Accurate Preparation and Submission of Tax Returns

Filing accurate and timely tax returns is essential for claiming a corporation tax refund. A tax accountant ensures that your Company Tax Return (CT600) is correctly filled out and submitted before the deadline. They can handle the intricate details of your financial statements, ensuring that all relevant income and expenditures are accurately reported. This minimizes the risk of errors and delays in processing your refund claim.

Managing Compliance Checks and Inquiries from HMRC

HMRC may conduct compliance checks or raise inquiries regarding your tax return. A tax accountant can manage these interactions on your behalf, providing clear and concise responses to HMRC's questions. Their expertise can be particularly valuable if your claim is complex or involves substantial amounts of money, helping to navigate the compliance check process smoothly and efficiently.

Streamlining the Claim Process

A tax accountant can streamline the entire process of claiming a corporation tax refund. They can gather and organize the necessary documentation, calculate the refund amount accurately, and communicate with HMRC on your behalf. This not only saves you time but also ensures that your claim is processed as quickly and smoothly as possible.

Advising on Tax-efficient Strategies

Beyond claiming a refund, a tax accountant can advise on tax-efficient strategies for your business. This includes structuring your business operations, investments, and expenses in a way that minimizes tax liabilities and maximizes eligibility for future refunds. They can provide strategic advice on financial planning, helping your business to grow while maintaining tax efficiency.

Offering Peace of Mind

Perhaps one of the most significant benefits of hiring a tax accountant is the peace of mind it offers. Knowing that an expert is handling your corporation tax refund claim can relieve the stress associated with tax filings. It allows you to focus on running your business, confident in the knowledge that your tax affairs are in good hands.

The role of a tax accountant in claiming a corporation tax refund in the UK is multifaceted and extends beyond mere tax filing. From providing expert guidance on tax laws, identifying eligible reliefs and deductions, to managing communications with HMRC, a tax accountant is an invaluable asset to any business seeking to optimize its tax position. By leveraging their expertise, businesses can navigate the complexities of the tax system more effectively, ensuring compliance and maximizing their financial health.


Q1: Can I claim a corporation tax refund for previous tax years?

A: Yes, you can claim a refund for previous tax years if you discover that you overpaid your corporation tax due to an error or omission in your tax return. The time limit for making such claims is typically four years from the end of the financial year to which the claim relates.

Q2: How long does it take for HMRC to process a corporation tax refund?

A: The processing time for a corporation tax refund can vary, but HMRC aims to process refund claims within a few weeks of receiving the necessary documentation and information. However, complex cases may take longer.

Q3: Do I need to submit a separate form to claim R&D tax credits?

A: No, you do not need to submit a separate form for R&D tax credits. Instead, you include details of your R&D expenditure and the claim within your Company Tax Return (CT600).

Q4: Are there penalties for submitting the CT600 form late?

A: Yes, HMRC imposes penalties for late submission of the CT600 form. These penalties increase over time, starting from £100 for a return that is up to three months late.

Q5: Can I amend my CT600 form after submission if I find an error?

A: Yes, you can amend your CT600 form after submission if you discover errors or omissions. Amendments can usually be made up to 12 months after the statutory filing deadline.

Q6: How do I know if my company is eligible for a super-deduction claim?

A: Your company is eligible for a super-deduction claim if it has made qualifying investments in plant and machinery between specific dates outlined by the government. Check the latest HMRC guidance for the eligible investment period and criteria.

Q7: What if my corporation tax refund is denied by HMRC?

A: If your refund claim is denied, HMRC will provide reasons for the decision. You can request a review or appeal against the decision if you believe it to be incorrect.

Q8: Can a sole trader claim a corporation tax refund?

A: No, sole traders are not subject to corporation tax and thus cannot claim a corporation tax refund. Sole traders pay income tax on their profits and can claim refunds through their Self Assessment tax return if overpaid.

Q9: How do I submit the CT600 form and accompanying documents electronically?

A: You can submit the CT600 form and accompanying documents electronically through HMRC's online services or compatible commercial software that supports HMRC filings.

Q10: Is interest paid on late corporation tax refunds by HMRC?

A: Yes, HMRC may pay interest on late corporation tax refunds if the delay is attributable to HMRC. The rate and eligibility for interest payments are subject to HMRC's current policies.

Q11: Can a non-resident company claim a corporation tax refund in the UK?

A: Non-resident companies subject to UK corporation tax on their UK income may claim a refund if they have overpaid. The process and eligibility criteria are similar to those for UK resident companies.

Q12: Are donations to charities eligible for tax relief when calculating corporation tax?

A: Yes, donations to registered charities by companies can qualify for tax relief and reduce the corporation tax liability, potentially affecting the refund amount.

Q13: What happens if I use the refund to offset against future tax liabilities but then find out I owe less?

A: If you apply your refund against future tax liabilities and later find out you owe less, you can adjust your payment on account or request a refund of the overpayment from HMRC.

Q14: Can I claim a corporation tax refund if my company is in administration?

A: Companies in administration can still claim a corporation tax refund if they meet the eligibility criteria. However, the process may involve the administrators acting on the company's behalf.

Q15: What is the threshold for small profits rate and how does it affect my refund?

A: The small profits rate applies to companies with profits below a certain threshold, currently set at £50,000, offering them a lower tax rate. If your profits fall below this threshold, it could reduce your tax liability and potentially increase your refund amount.

Q16: Are there any restrictions on how the corporation tax refund can be used?

A: Generally, there are no restrictions on how you can use your corporation tax refund. It is returned to the company's finances and can be allocated as the company sees fit.

Q17: How can I check the status of my corporation tax refund claim?

A: You can check the status of your corporation tax refund claim by logging into your HMRC online account or contacting HMRC directly for an update.

Q18: Do I need an accountant to claim a corporation tax refund?

A: While you do not legally need an accountant to claim a corporation tax refund, seeking professionaladvice can be beneficial, especially for navigating complex claims or ensuring compliance with tax laws.

Q19: What documentation is needed to support a claim for a corporation tax refund?

A: Supporting documentation for a corporation tax refund claim includes financial statements, tax computations, receipts, invoices, and records of any tax-deductible expenses or reliefs claimed. This documentation should provide evidence for the figures entered in your tax return.

Q20: Can HMRC request additional information after I submit my refund claim?

A: Yes, HMRC can request additional information or documentation to support your corporation tax refund claim. It's important to respond promptly and provide the requested information to avoid delays in processing your claim.



bottom of page