top of page
  • Writer's picturePTA

Why Has Your Tax Code Changed From 1250L TO 1185L?

Understanding Tax Code Changes in the UK: The Shift from 1250L to 1185L

In the UK, tax codes play a crucial role in managing how much tax is deducted from your income. These codes are typically composed of a number followed by a letter. The number indicates the total amount of tax-free income you are entitled to in a year, divided by ten, while the letter provides specific information about your entitlements or tax situation.

Why Has Your Tax Code Changed From 1250L TO 1185L

Why Tax Codes Change

Tax codes can change due to various factors related to an individual’s financial and employment circumstances. Understanding these changes can help you ensure that you're paying the correct amount of tax.

Main Reasons for Changing from 1250L to 1185L

The change from tax code 1250L to 1185L indicates a decrease in the amount of tax-free personal allowance an individual is entitled to. Here are the primary reasons such changes might occur:

  1. Changes in Personal Allowance: Each year, the government can adjust the personal allowance – the amount you can earn before you start paying income tax. If the government reduces the personal allowance, it affects the numbers in your tax code, resulting in a code like 1185L instead of 1250L.

  2. Additional Income: If you start receiving additional income that hasn’t been taxed yet, such as a new job, pension, or benefits, HMRC adjusts your tax code to collect the correct amount of tax across your total income.

  3. Adjustments from Previous Years: If there were any underpayments or overpayments in your tax from previous years, HMRC might adjust your current tax code to correct these discrepancies. This adjustment ensures that you pay the right amount moving forward.

  4. Changes in Benefits or Pensions: Changes in the amount of state pension you receive or alterations in work benefits can lead to modifications in your tax code. If these benefits are taxable and their value changes, your tax code will be adjusted to reflect this.

  5. Marriage Allowance: If you apply for Marriage Allowance to transfer a portion of your personal allowance to your spouse, it can affect your tax code. Conversely, if you were receiving a transferred allowance and this stops, your code will change accordingly.

  6. Job Changes: Starting a new job without providing your previous income and tax details to your new employer can lead to an emergency tax code being issued initially, which may be adjusted once your details are fully processed.

How to Manage Changes in Your Tax Code

It is crucial to regularly check and understand your tax code to ensure it reflects your current financial situation accurately. You can review your tax code and update your details through your personal tax account on the HMRC website. This proactive approach helps in managing any discrepancies and avoiding unexpected tax bills.

Tax code changes like moving from 1250L to 1185L are influenced by various factors including changes in personal income, adjustments for past tax payments, and modifications in benefits or other entitlements. Understanding these factors can help you manage your taxes more effectively and ensure you are not overpaying or underpaying tax. Always verify any changes with HMRC directly and keep your employment details up to date to facilitate accurate tax code adjustments.

Detailed Implications of a Tax Code Change from 1250L to 1185L

Understanding the Tax Code Components

The numeric part of a tax code, like 1250 or 1185 in 1250L and 1185L, represents the amount of income you can earn in a year before paying tax, divided by 10. Therefore, a tax code of 1250L would allow £12,500 as your personal allowance. When this shifts to 1185L, it indicates a new allowance of £11,850. This reduction can occur due to various adjustments by HMRC based on your personal financial circumstances or changes in tax legislation.

Impact on Your Income

A decrease in your tax code means a lower personal allowance, resulting in higher taxes deducted from your salary or pension. For someone whose tax code has changed from 1250L to 1185L, this implies a potential increase in tax liability, as a smaller portion of income is tax-free. The impact on monthly income can vary significantly depending on your total income level, but generally, this would mean paying more tax monthly.

Reasons Behind the Change

  • Benefit Adjustments: If you receive benefits in kind from your employer, like a company car or private medical insurance, and these benefits increase in value, your tax code adjusts to tax the additional value of these benefits.

  • Debt to HMRC: If you owe tax from previous years, HMRC might adjust your tax code to recover this debt gradually from your earnings. This is often visible in your tax code with the inclusion of a 'K' prefix, although not applicable directly here, it's a related concept showing how debts influence codes.

  • Personal Allowance Recovery: At higher income levels, the personal allowance begins to reduce. For every £2 you earn over £100,000, your personal allowance reduces by £1. This gradual reduction can change your tax code if your income increases significantly.

How These Changes Affect Tax Calculations

With the decrease in the personal allowance, as indicated from moving from 1250L to 1185L, more of your income is subject to taxation. This shift requires careful planning, especially if you're close to the higher tax brackets, as it could push your taxable income into a higher rate sooner than anticipated.

Handling Changes and Ensuring Accurate Tax Payments

  • Verify Changes: Always verify any changes to your tax code received via a coding notice from HMRC. These notices explain why your code has changed. Understanding this can help you identify if further action is needed, like providing additional information to HMRC.

  • Consult a Tax Advisor: If the changes are significant or complex, consulting with a tax advisor can help you understand the implications better and plan accordingly to optimize your tax situation.

  • Regular Reviews: Regularly reviewing your tax code and your financial statements can help you catch errors or adjustments early, ensuring you're not overpaying or underpaying tax.

Understanding the reasons and implications behind the change from tax code 1250L to 1185L is essential for effective personal financial management. The reduction in personal allowance can have various causes, each impacting your net income and requiring specific actions to manage effectively. Staying informed and proactive in managing your tax affairs can help mitigate any negative effects of such changes.

Proactive Steps for Managing Tax Code Changes in the UK: Adapting to a Shift from 1250L to 1185L

Understanding the Implications of a Reduced Personal Allowance

The shift from a 1250L to an 1185L tax code signifies a reduction in your personal tax-free allowance, from £12,500 to £11,850 annually. This reduction typically means an increase in the amount of tax you pay, impacting your net take-home pay. For taxpayers, it's crucial to understand not only why these changes occur but also how to effectively manage their finances in light of them.

Key Reasons for Tax Code Reduction

  • Legislative Changes: Government budgets and fiscal policies can lead to adjustments in the personal allowance. Such changes are usually announced during the annual Budget speech and subsequently implemented in the new fiscal year.

  • HMRC Adjustments: HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) may adjust your tax code due to discrepancies or updates in their records concerning your employment, pension payments, or benefit receipts that are taxable.

  • Income Adjustments: If your income increases beyond a certain threshold (£100,000), your personal allowance decreases by £1 for every £2 of income above this threshold, directly impacting your tax code.

Financial Management Strategies

To mitigate the impact of a reduced personal allowance, consider the following strategies:

  • Budget Adjustments: Revise your monthly budget to account for the increase in tax deductions. This may mean allocating less to discretionary spending to balance the reduced take-home pay.

  • Tax-efficient Investments: Consider investing in schemes like ISAs or pensions that offer tax-free growth or tax relief. This can compensate for the increased tax burden by maximizing the efficiency of your investments.

  • Additional Allowances and Reliefs: Ensure you are taking advantage of all available tax reliefs and allowances, such as Marriage Allowance, charitable donations, and professional fees, which can help reduce your taxable income.

Keeping Updated with HMRC

  • Regularly Check Your Tax Code: Use your personal tax account on the HMRC website to regularly check your tax code and understand the reasons for any changes. This can help you identify mistakes and ensure your tax code accurately reflects your current situation.

  • Communication with Employers: Ensure your employer has the most current information regarding your employment situation. Any changes, like adjustments in benefits or a second job, should be reported to your employer as they directly affect your tax code.

  • Seek Professional Advice: If you find your tax situation becoming too complex to manage alone, especially after a tax code change, consulting with a tax professional can provide clarity and direction, ensuring you are taxed appropriately and can plan for future tax liabilities.

The change in your tax code from 1250L to 1185L reflects significant financial adjustments that affect your net income. By understanding the factors driving this change and adopting strategies to manage the implications, you can maintain financial stability and compliance with UK tax laws. Regular engagement with HMRC and strategic financial planning are key to adapting effectively to these changes, ensuring you are well-prepared to handle any future shifts in your tax circumstances.

A Case Study of Managing Tax Code Changes in the UK: A Shift from 1250L to 1185L

This case study examines the implications of a tax code change from 1250L to 1185L for a hypothetical UK taxpayer named John Smith. John is a 40-year-old marketing manager in Manchester. The narrative will explore how this change affects John’s financial situation and the proactive steps he can take to manage the new tax obligations effectively.


John has been employed at the same company for the past 10 years, earning a stable salary of £50,000 per year. His tax code has been 1250L, which allowed him a personal tax-free allowance of £12,500. Recently, John received a notification from HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) stating that his tax code would change to 1185L, reducing his personal allowance to £11,850.

Impact of the Tax Code Change

The change in the tax code means John will now have £650 less in tax-free income annually. This adjustment is attributed to additional taxable benefits John received from his employer, including a company car and a higher private medical insurance coverage, which were not previously accounted for in his tax calculations.

Financial Analysis:

  • Previous Net Salary: With a personal allowance of £12,500, the taxable income was £37,500, resulting in a tax liability (assuming a 20% basic tax rate) of £7,500 annually, leaving John with a net income of £42,500.

  • New Net Salary: With the new personal allowance of £11,850, his taxable income increases to £38,150. At the same tax rate, his annual tax becomes £7,630, reducing his net income to £42,370.

Proactive Financial Management Strategies

To manage this decrease in net income, John can consider several strategies to ensure financial stability and maximize tax efficiency:

  1. Adjusting Monthly Budget: Revising his monthly budget to accommodate the additional tax deducted each month is crucial. This might include cutting down on discretionary spending or reallocating some expenses.

  2. Maximizing Tax-Efficient Investments:

  • ISA Investments: John could increase his investments in an Individual Savings Account (ISA), which offers tax-free interest and capital gains.

  • Pension Contributions: Boosting contributions to his pension plan can reduce his taxable income and simultaneously enhance his retirement savings.

  1. Claiming Tax Reliefs and Allowances:

  • Marriage Allowance: If applicable, John could benefit from the Marriage Allowance by transferring a portion of his personal allowance to his spouse, assuming she earns less than the personal allowance threshold.

  • Professional Subscriptions: If John pays for professional memberships or journals related to his job, these costs can often be claimed for tax relief.

Engaging with HMRC

John must ensure that all communications and changes reported to HMRC are accurate to prevent any future discrepancies. This includes:

  • Regularly Checking Tax Code: Utilizing his personal tax account to review any updates or changes in his tax code.

  • Reporting Changes: Any changes in his income or benefits need to be promptly reported to HMRC to ensure his tax code is correctly adjusted.

The shift in John's tax code from 1250L to 1185L has a notable impact on his financial landscape, primarily due to the increase in taxable benefits. By employing strategic financial planning and maintaining active communication with HMRC, John can manage these changes efficiently to minimize their impact on his net income. This case study underscores the importance of understanding tax code adjustments and being proactive in managing personal finances in response to such changes.

What to Do if You Believe Your Tax Code Change from 1250L to 1185L is Incorrect: A Step-by-Step Guide

Navigating the complexities of tax codes can be daunting. If you find that your tax code has been changed to 1185L from 1250L and believe this to be incorrect, it is crucial to take swift and precise action. Here is a detailed step-by-step guide to address and resolve any issues with your tax code.

Step 1: Understand the Meaning of Your Tax Codes

Before proceeding, ensure you understand what both tax codes mean. The tax code 1250L indicates a tax-free personal allowance of £12,500, whereas 1185L would allow a personal allowance of £11,850. A change could mean that HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) believes your circumstances have changed, such as receiving additional income not covered by your initial code.

Step 2: Check for Any Changes in Your Income

Review your income and benefits to verify if there have been changes that justify the new tax code. This could include additional benefits from your employer, a second job, or changes in investment income that HMRC might have considered in revising your tax code.

Step 3: Gather Documentation

Collect all relevant financial documents that support your claim. This includes payslips, P60s, and details of employment benefits or new income sources. These documents are crucial for proving that your previous tax code should remain unchanged.

Step 4: Contact HMRC

Reach out to HMRC directly to discuss your tax code. HMRC provides a contact number specifically for tax code queries. When you call, have your National Insurance number and a recent payslip at hand. Be prepared to explain why you believe there is an error with specific details and documentation.

  • HMRC Contact Details: You can find the appropriate contact number on the official HMRC website or your coding notice.

Step 5: Follow Up in Writing

If your issue is not resolved over the phone, follow up with a detailed letter or email. Include all pertinent information and copies of documents that support your case. Make sure to keep a copy for your records.

  • Address for Correspondence: Your letter should be addressed to PAYE and Self Assessment, HM Revenue and Customs, BX9 1AS, UK.

Step 6: Check HMRC's Response

HMRC typically reviews tax code disputes and responds within four weeks. They will either confirm the correctness of the 1185L code or revert to the 1250L code if an error was found. Keep an eye on any communications from HMRC during this period.

Step 7: Use HMRC’s Online Services

Consider managing your tax code using HMRC’s online portal. The digital service allows you to view your tax code, the reasons for the code, and report any changes directly. This method can be quicker and allows you to keep track of all adjustments and correspondences.

  • Online Services Link: Access this through the HMRC personal tax account portal on their official website.

Step 8: Seek Professional Advice

If the issue remains unresolved or if the matter is complex, consider seeking advice from a tax professional. Tax advisors are equipped to handle disputes and can offer a second opinion or take over communication with HMRC on your behalf.

Step 9: Formal Complaint

If you are dissatisfied with the handling of your tax code dispute by HMRC, you have the right to file a formal complaint. Information on how to do this is available on HMRC’s website under the 'Complaints' section.

  • Filing a Complaint: Follow the guidelines provided by HMRC to ensure your complaint is heard and adequately addressed.

Step 10: Tribunal Appeal

As a last resort, if you believe HMRC has handled your tax code incorrectly and your complaint has not resolved the issue, you may consider appealing to the tax tribunal. Note that this step should be taken after thorough consultation with a tax advisor.

  • Tribunal Information: Details and procedures for appealing to a tax tribunal can be found on the website.

An incorrect tax code can significantly affect your finances by altering how much tax you pay each year. By following these steps, you can ensure that any concerns regarding a change in your tax code are addressed promptly and effectively. Remember, it’s essential to keep detailed records and remain proactive in communicating with HMRC or a tax advisor to resolve any issues with your tax code.

How Can a Tax Accountant Help You With Managing a Tax Code Change

How Can a Tax Accountant Help You With Managing a Tax Code Change?

Navigating tax code changes in the UK can be complex and overwhelming for many taxpayers. A tax accountant plays a critical role in ensuring that individuals and businesses comply with tax laws and optimize their tax situation. This article explores the various ways in which a tax accountant can assist with managing tax code changes, such as the shift from 1250L to 1185L, and the broader implications for financial planning.

Understanding Tax Code Changes

A tax accountant is instrumental in decoding the implications of a tax code change. Each tax code signifies specific information about an individual's allowances, deductions, and tax liabilities. For instance, the shift from 1250L to 1185L indicates a decrease in the personal allowance. A tax accountant can explain what this change means in practical terms, such as how much more tax you will owe as a result.

Identifying Errors and Ensuring Accuracy

Tax codes can be issued incorrectly due to administrative errors or incomplete information. Tax accountants scrutinize tax codes to ensure they reflect their clients' current circumstances. They can identify errors and liaise with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to correct them, ensuring that taxpayers are not overpaying or underpaying taxes.

Providing Strategic Advice on Tax Planning

Tax accountants offer strategic advice tailored to individual financial situations, especially after changes in tax codes. They can suggest ways to utilize allowances and reliefs most effectively, such as investing in tax-efficient savings accounts or adjusting pension contributions. For higher earners nearing the threshold where personal allowance decreases, tax accountants might recommend strategies to minimize tax liability, such as charitable donations or salary sacrifice schemes.

Assisting with Compliance and Documentation

Tax accountants ensure that all necessary financial documents and returns are accurate and submitted on time. This includes gathering and organizing financial records, filling out tax forms, and making necessary adjustments based on the latest tax code. This is crucial for compliance and for maintaining good standing with HMRC.

Navigating Multiple Sources of Income

For individuals with multiple sources of income, such as freelancers or those with investments, changes in tax code can complicate their tax affairs. A tax accountant helps manage these complexities by adjusting how different income streams are taxed, ensuring that all income is correctly reported and taxed in the most beneficial way possible.

Handling Communication with HMRC

Communicating with HMRC can be daunting. Tax accountants regularly handle correspondence with HMRC on behalf of their clients. They can effectively communicate issues, negotiate arrangements, or discuss changes in the taxpayer’s situation. This includes responding to HMRC inquiries and ensuring that any changes in tax codes or unexpected tax bills are addressed promptly and efficiently.

Offering Representation in Disputes or Audits

If a taxpayer faces an audit or disputes a decision by HMRC, a tax accountant can provide representation. They understand tax legislation and can advocate on behalf of their client, arguing cases with detailed evidence and legal knowledge. This can be invaluable in resolving disputes favorably and minimizing potential penalties.

Education and Updates on Tax Law Changes

Tax laws and regulations are continually changing. Professional tax accountants stay updated on all revisions to tax legislation, including changes to tax codes, allowances, and relief opportunities. They provide regular updates to their clients on how these changes affect them and offer advice on adapting to new laws.

Long-term Financial Planning

A tax accountant doesn’t just look at yearly tax compliance but also offers long-term financial planning assistance. They can help plan for retirement, save for education, or prepare for other significant expenses in a tax-efficient manner. This holistic approach ensures that tax considerations are integrated into broader financial strategies.

Ensuring Peace of Mind

Perhaps one of the most significant benefits of working with a tax accountant is the peace of mind it brings. Knowing that a professional is managing your tax affairs can relieve stress and allow you to focus on other areas of your life or business.

The role of a tax accountant is critical in managing tax code changes and their implications. By providing expert advice, ensuring accuracy in tax filings, and representing clients in communications with HMRC, tax accountants help navigate the complex world of tax regulations. For anyone facing a change in their tax code, professional advice from a tax accountant is invaluable, ensuring that they not only comply with tax laws but also optimize their financial situation.


Q1: What is the tax-free personal allowance for the 2024-2025 tax year in the UK?

A: The tax-free personal allowance for the 2024-2025 tax year remains at £12,570, consistent with previous years, unless specifically adjusted due to individual circumstances.

Q2: Can changes in charitable donations affect my tax code?

A: Yes, if you start or stop making Gift Aid donations, or if the amount you donate changes significantly, HMRC may adjust your tax code to reflect the tax relief you're entitled to on these donations.

Q3: What should I do if I believe my tax code change from 1250L to 1185L is incorrect?

A: You should contact HMRC directly to review your tax code. Provide them with up-to-date information about your income and deductions to ensure your tax code is accurately calculated.

Q4: How can changes in savings interest affect my tax code?

A: If you receive or stop receiving a significant amount of taxable savings interest, HMRC may adjust your tax code to collect or refund the tax due on this interest through your salary.

Q5: Will receiving a new company benefit like a gym membership change my tax code?

A: Yes, non-cash benefits like gym memberships are typically taxed, and receiving such benefits can lead to a tax code adjustment to tax the value of these benefits.

Q6: What happens if I stop receiving a company car that was part of my employment package?

A: If you no longer have a company car, and it was previously included in your tax code, your tax code might change to remove this benefit, potentially increasing your personal allowance.

Q7: Does a change in my marital status affect my tax code?

A: Yes, changes such as getting married or divorced can affect your tax code, especially if you are eligible for or currently receiving Marriage Allowance.

Q8: How does the birth of a child affect my tax code?

A: The birth of a child does not directly affect your tax code unless you're eligible for benefits like Child Benefit which could have tax implications if your income is over £50,000.

Q9: What should I do if I start receiving a new state benefit?

A: Notify HMRC if you start receiving a new taxable state benefit as it may need to be reflected in your tax code to collect any due tax.

Q10: How do redundancy payments affect my tax code?

A: Redundancy payments above £30,000 are taxable. If you receive a redundancy payment that's subject to tax, your tax code may be adjusted to account for this additional income.

Q11: What impact does selling property or assets have on my tax code?

A: If you make a gain on the sale of property or assets that is liable for Capital Gains Tax, it won't affect your tax code but must be reported on a Self Assessment tax return.

Q12: Can back payments, arrears, or bonuses from my job affect my tax code?

A: Yes, receiving back pay, arrears, or bonuses can temporarily affect your tax code, as HMRC adjusts it to collect the right amount of tax on your total income for the year.

Q13: What is an emergency tax code and how is it different from 1185L?

A: An emergency tax code like W1/M1/X temporarily applies when HMRC doesn’t have all your information. It taxes all income above the basic Personal Allowance without accounting for other allowances or adjustments, unlike specific codes like 1185L.

Q14: If I move to a part-time role, will my tax code change?

A: Moving to a part-time role can change your tax code if your income decreases significantly, as it might alter your total taxable income and how your personal allowance is applied.

Q15: What does it mean if my tax code has ‘BR’ or ‘D0’ at the end instead of a number and ‘L’?

A: 'BR' indicates all your income is taxed at the basic rate, and 'D0' means all income is taxed at the higher rate, typically used if you have more than one source of income.

Q16: How do I inform HMRC about a change affecting my tax code?

A: You can update your details online through your personal tax account on the HMRC website or contact them directly by phone or post to report changes.

Q17: What is the role of my employer in managing my tax code changes?

A: Your employer plays a crucial role by using the tax code HMRC provides to deduct the correct amount of tax from your salary. They also report your income and changes to HMRC through thePAYE system. They must also provide HMRC with information about any changes in your employment that could affect your tax code.

Q18: Can expenses related to working from home change my tax code?

A: Yes, if you claim tax relief on expenses related to working from home, such as business telephone calls or the extra cost of gas and electricity, your tax code may be adjusted to reflect the amount of relief you're entitled to.

Q19: What if I receive income from abroad? Will it affect my tax code?

A: If you start receiving foreign income that is taxable in the UK, you must report this to HMRC. Depending on the amount and nature of the income, your tax code may be adjusted to collect the correct amount of tax.

Q20: How does inheriting money or property affect my tax code?

A: Inheriting money or property itself does not directly change your tax code, as inheritance is not taxable in the UK. However, if you inherit assets that generate an income, such as rental income, this could affect your tax code.


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page