• PTA

What is an R40 Form?

An R40 is the form you need to fill out if you want to claim a tax refund deducted from your savings and investments. The information provided will allow HM Revenue & Customs to determine whether you have paid too much tax and to refund any money owed to you. There are twelve different sections of the form to fill out, including personal details, sources of income, and allowances. You will need to complete all twelve sections to ensure that you receive your full refund. The tax office would prefer you to submit the form online, but you can request it by mail.

Form R40

How Far Can I Claim?

You can claim a tax refund up to four years after the end of the tax year for which you are claiming. You will need to complete a separate form for each year for which you must file a claim.

How Do I File an R40 to Recover Taxes?

Form R40 includes the address to which you should send your application. You can also file a complaint through HMRC using your Government Gateway account.

When Should I Fill Out the R40 form?

Form R40 allows you to recover the overpayment of taxes on the interest earned on your savings, investments or annuities. To be considered for a refund, you must be a UK resident and have not completed a self-assessment tax return within one year of making the request. If you are completing a tax return, once HMRC submits and receives your tax return, any tax refund owed to you will be refunded through the self-assessment system.

Who Can Submit the R40 Form?

If your total income is below the threshold for the year, you can use Form R40 to recover the tax paid for bank interest or investment. You may also want to learn more about personal savings allowance.

If tax deductions are made for children’s savings, parents can use this form to collect taxes on their behalf.

23 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All